Top-Off Drum

• Thread starter redwhiteblue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

What drums are you using for a top-off? Does "food-grade" poly make a difference?

I've always used food grade in the past, looking to pick up 4x 55 gal drums which will run me about 900 bucks, I can save 300-400 if I get non-food grade.

Planning to buy these

and connect to the epicenter with the CC provided adapter...

Thanks!

sokah

sokah

I would check with your local hydro store, i know one of the store near me sells 55 gallon drums like the one you linked and they are only 50 bucks, they don't have a lid but they are food grade. just an idea to save you like 700$ lol.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

205$,no way!You can get food grade poly drums off craiglist all day long for nearly nothing,most had corn syrup or something or other like that in them,quick wash with dawn and your good to go.The last 2 i got had jelly in them,came with lids,were like brand new and the guy just gave them to me no charge.I store wild bird food in them to feed the quail at my pad.

Solar Deity

Solar Deity

Whoa wait. I went to a local sauce maker here in my hometown. Turns out he pays people to REMOVE 55 gallon food grade drums from his facility. I was saving him money and he offered all I wanted. He had a large variety of clear and blue poly drums. I'm sure any large scale food facility near you has to get rid of them also. On a side note, I lucked out and one of the 55's was molasses! (others were corn syrup) They didn't rinse the barrel so I gues there was a gallon stuck to the sides and bottom. I watered my outdoor vegatable garden with it that year and never had sweeter tomatoes in my carreer.

SD

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

Read others here. Myself if I were going to do any crazy water storage. be 4x4, 2x4, 3/4" plywood, and pool liner. Maybe a ratchet to hold the liner snug around the rim. But otherwise just check for use todes or drums that were used once.

PS. look for the thicker drums that had tomato past. Maybe black lid to for when you decide to place some grow film around da drum!

Latest posts

Top Bottom