Top off res

• Thread starter Growboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Growboy

Growboy

Should I cool my top off res its getting funky or is this normal?

J

Jalisco Kid

It should be aerated well and not above 75*. I do not let it set around as it should be used to top off or refill the rez's. JK

Growboy

Growboy

I fixed the problem. It was some leftover bleach residue mixing with cs nutrients just rinsed the s*** out of it. Now my problem is with my water line from top off rez its getting brown stuff in it I think its from the light.

DrRabbit

DrRabbit

Covering your res with mylar or panda film can help block light and reduce temps. Your res definitely needs to be pitch black inside or badness can ensue. Algae can grow with amazingly small amount of light. Also, if you res is inside your room, you may also consider moving it into a non-illuminated setting. That, of course, is the last resort, but if you can put another plant under the light as a result, it may be worthwhile.​

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

Are you using live shit in your top off? If so knock that off top off should be either plain water or just base nutes. If you wanna add in supplents do it in the control bucket by hand. Same with ph. Another thing is dont use anything thats thick and dark in hydro period... For top off rez i highly recommend using aquashield at 5-10ml a gallon depending on how hot its getting. Works for me and mine never clogs or gets algae build up.

DrRabbit

DrRabbit

QBMo, I originally 'liked' everything you put up here, but I changed my mind, because I was confused by what appeared to be contradictory advice. First, you said.
. . . top off should be either plain water or just base nutes.
I use just pH-balanced water, but I can see merits in the other.
Where you lose me is toward the bottom where you say
For top off rez i highly recommend using aquashield . . .
To me, this poultry-poo-based product (Botanicare's AquaShield) doesn't follow the advice you give above. I've seen a bad bottle AquaShield, and it's not pretty. I love and have used lots of Botanicare products. I was curious about this usage. Is it because it's such a mild product or something different?

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

QBMo, I originally 'liked' everything you put up here, but I changed my mind, because I was confused by what appeared to be contradictory advice. First, you said.

I use just pH-balanced water, but I can see merits in the other.
Where you lose me is toward the bottom where you say

To me, this poultry-poo-based product (Botanicare's AquaShield) doesn't follow the advice you give above. I've seen a bad bottle AquaShield, and it's not pretty. I love and have used lots of Botanicare products. I was curious about this usage. Is it because it's such a mild product or something different?
ok well my understanding as purpose is to fight bad pathogens in the water and its composed of benes is how it was explained to me when i first started using it. I use it in my top off hoping its feeding on those bad pathogens in the water too. I have been using as for 3 years now i never had a bad bottle yet. Im not saying there is any science behind this to back this up but thats my theory. I also use as in my systems and that keeps a constant flow coming in. I think of as as being like a protector in my water its worked so far ive never had any problems while using it. Plus its clear and watery so that makes it all the better. Im a as fan.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

You can use H2O2 hydrogen peroxide in your top off and it will kill any bad things in the water. H2O2 does disappear after a few days so I hit mine when I fill it up every week.

H2O2 will kill any bennies if you use them so don't mix them. H2O2 is for sterile environment and cleaning.

As for cleaning I stopped using bleach and use H2O2 on everything. Bleach is fine and does a great job but as you found if you don't rinse well problems.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Here is a reply direct from BC found this on the site https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/aquashield-info.32366/

Hey gang, I had a question for Botanicare about running Aquashield and thought I would share the response for anyone who needed it also.

My question was: "I am currently trying your Aquashield product in my undercurrent hydroponic system. If you are not familiar with this system, it is a recirculating deep water culture with a separate top off reservoir.The instructions on the bottle recommend 5-15ml per gallon, per week. My question is, should I add the Aquashield directly to the pot/root mass, or should I add it to the (100g) top off nutrient reservoir? With nutrients, adding them directly to the system is not recommended by the manufacturer of the hydroponic system. Therefore I have premixed nutrients ready in the reservoir. However, I don't know how Aquashield best fits into the equation. Do I add it to the reservoir where it could potentially sit without any organic matter to react with or do I add it straight into the system?"

and the response:
"Steve,
Thanks for using our product Aquashield! This product creates a natural and beneficial growing environment at the root zone of your plants. This product is derived from composted poultry liter which has natural occurring bacteria that build a symbiotic relationship with your plant roots. In order to be as effective as possible, you want to apply this product directly to the roots. Dilute to the recommended dosage and hit each plant site directly. Aquashield can be mixed with any nutrients but is best if used right away. If it must be stored in a reservoir, use airstones to keep oxygen in the solution, adding some Sweet will feed the microbiology present in your nutrient solution. Use these pre-mixed solutions within 10-14 days.
Good luck!" - Manufacturer's Representative /BOTANICARE

DrRabbit

DrRabbit

Yeah, thanks for the AquaShield info, QBMo, et al. I happened into the bad bottle I mentioned above initially and shied away. Love Botanicare's Pure Blend Pro line, Sweet, Hydroplex, CalMag+, and Clearex, which are my mainstays. Thus far, I've only topped off with pH-adjusted water, using H2O2 in times of root crisis, like when I experimented with Liquid Karma.

Top Bottom