Toping a weak plant. wise or no?

• Thread starter calibrian
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

calibrian

My plants are looking a bit sickly in the leaves area. would toping plants with some deficiencies(soon resolved) be wise, or not? I wanna top them anyway, but should I wait till their healthier or would the act of toping actually help the weaker leaves? can some one get back to me on this.:character0029:

Melvan

Melvan

Get your plants healthy again and then top. If your plants are currently suffering from a deficiency then common sense says not to add any more stress.

C

calibrian

Get your plants healthy again and then top. If your plants are currently suffering from a deficiency then common sense says not to add any more stress.

I figured as such. thanks

P

pure arghan

wots wrong with the leaves?

My plants are looking a bit sickly in the leaves area. would toping plants with some deficiencies(soon resolved) be wise, or not? I wanna top them anyway, but should I wait till their healthier or would the act of toping actually help the weaker leaves? can some one get back to me on this.:character0029:

wot is wrong with the plants, ie wot collur is the leaves? is it the fan leaves? how big or old are they? wot strain are you growing? in wot medium are they grown in? haller back with thoughs and ill try and help but without knowing these things i could't answer your qusten man, hope i can help and good luck with all your grows :harvest:

stonedcold

stonedcold

if its stresssed dont stress it more wait till its healthy

bloads

bloads

wot is wrong with the plants, ie wot collur is the leaves? is it the fan leaves? how big or old are they? wot strain are you growing? in wot medium are they grown in? haller back with thoughs and ill try and help but without knowing these things i could't answer your qusten man, hope i can help and good luck with all your grows :harvest:

do fan leaves show stress earlier than other leaves or something? after you said this, I noticed that my 'problem' leaves tend to be my fan leaves

S

SSHZ

Sometimes it's better to cut your losses and start over. Weak plants typically remain poor growers thru their life. And often yield so poorly you'll be pissed you wasted 3 months grow time.

P

pure arghan

yip

do fan leaves show stress earlier than other leaves or something? after you said this, I noticed that my 'problem' leaves tend to be my fan leaves

ie in my experance they show first sings of lack of nuites or overload of nitragen etc, as far as i know they receve water and that frist as they do most of the pottocenfase? sorry bad at spellling, they are the leaves that till the plant to stop drinking, ie when you get lock up.
imo they are the most importend leaves to chick on.
try not to crod the fan leaves as that makes the plant strech up to get more light and when the plant streches it losses yeld, if they have room the plant can put all its energe into grow good tright bud.
if your growing in soil i would just give them water for about a week then after the weeks up give them there fed, after a day if the plant look's on the mend, i would top, omop
hope this helps

S

SSHZ

Wow...... is that really your spelling or are you just kidding us???? LOL

Nuites= nutes
nitragen= nitrogen
receve= receive
frist= first
importend= important
crod= crowd
strech= stretch
chick= check
yeld= yield

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Minor/micro nutes show deficiencies on top. Major nutes, such as Nitrogen, show their problems at the bottom of the plants.

P

pure arghan

why??

Sometimes it's better to cut your losses and start over. Weak plants typically remain poor growers thru their life. And often yield so poorly you'll be pissed you wasted 3 months grow time.

dont agre, sorry is that spelled wrong?
i never thogh out a plant that has been growing longer that 4 weeks buy that time you will know if its not a good growing plant in comparason to the outher plants planted at the same time.
growing from seed is a gamble at any time but if its cuttings where talking about which he was, as thats wot he grow's then they will be all the same.
even if a plant turn's bad you can put it to the side and give it a chance to come good, they will still grow under low lighting and will give you some somke? better than none.
hope this help's and thanks for the spell quick

S

SSHZ

I guess my point is, if it's not healthy, whether a clone or from seed, it's more likely to continue to have some problems (they often do). Or, because of the poor health, they won't yield shit. And then you have to worry about the quality, since it's been stressed- quality (resin production) will also take a hit. If you grow lots of plants and have a few poor performers, it's easy to kill a few of them off. If you grow 1 or 2, which appears to be the case here, everyone matters......

lazarus718

lazarus718

Bro, if you don't have the conditions right for your little girls, they aren't going to be right for them to become big girls. I wouldn't be concerned about topping, I would be concerned about what is going wrong. Worry about topping a crop when you have a strong one, if you don't get things under control you aren't going to make it that far. Post up some pics and maybe we can help.

H

-hydrofarmer-

topping a weak plant not wise. when u top a plant u remove its main growth shoot. When you top a healthy plant they say leave it for 24 hrs or so. why top a weak plant when u could wait get more healthy then top it?
hope this helps!

P

pure arghan

Thanks for your wisdome!!!!!!!!!!!

topping a weak plant not wise. when u top a plant u remove its main growth shoot. When you top a healthy plant they say leave it for 24 hrs or so. why top a weak plant when u could wait get more healthy then top it?
hope this helps!

AH!!

Jeezer

Jeezer

i top my plants no matter what they look like, heck i have topped clones that still werent transplanted. As long as there on track they will grow. I had a batch of 8 blue dream clones that i topped on day 1 of veg & they looked like total shit(they spent almost 2 months in a clone dome). i gave them a 2 week veg as i do with any other strain and still mangaged to pull a pound. 2x4 space
i would say experience is a crucial factor.

C

calibrian

i top my plants no matter what they look like, heck i have topped clones that still werent transplanted. As long as there on track they will grow. I had a batch of 8 blue dream clones that i topped on day 1 of veg & they looked like total shit(they spent almost 2 months in a clone dome). i gave them a 2 week veg as i do with any other strain and still mangaged to pull a pound. 2x4 space
i would say experience is a crucial factor.

I (over time) topped nearly all my plants. this was probably the one time I ignored advice and it actually worked. By topping my weaker plants, it diverted the plants energy to places that needed it more. now I have 10 healthy multi topped plants that are getting good and bushy with many healthy stocks. as well as a good amount of clones.

so I say, if your plant is looking a bit thin, single stocked, and weak. go ahead and top it. it can work to help thicken up your plant. gonna start flowering in a week or so. I'll try to remember to put up some before and after pics, but you know how that purple haze is...

C

calibrian

I'll try to remember to put up some before and after pics, but you know how that purple haze is...

:sign0005:

before and after. this is my first green crack. kinda small and deficient. single stock and not very promising at all. then I topped it and as you can see, I have 5 large tops, 5 small tops, and clones to cut too. it stands at about a foot tall and looks to have a great yield.

topping a weak plant- it is a RISK, but can work and help your plants size and yield.

Old katrina
IMG 20110214 080734
Top Bottom