Toping or fiming which ones give you stronger branches?

• Thread starter snowmaners
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

snowmaners

I do a outdoor grows and I've always topped, several times per plant my question is will fiming give you the same sturdy branches to make it through storms heavy wind when they creap up on me when in not home... Let me know what you guys think I plan on fiming a couple plants either way and tying them down low

Z

Zill

Snowman,

What’s shakin’. I grow out side as well in NY. Jeez, I’ve never topped or fimmed.

What I copy below are not my words…
“Fimming can produce more new branches from the cut you make than you would with topping.

For comparison, fimmed plants average around 3-8 new bud sites, while topped plants can only produce two per cut.

Additionally, it encourages lateral growth without tying your branches down.

However, the new stalks produced by fimming are weaker and often require a trellis to support them.

For this reason, fimmed plants are often paired with scrogging, the same way that topping is paired with mainlining.”

You call.

Zill.

S

snowmaners

Yeah I understand how it works we get storms here and they get bad somehow my plants have been so strong enough the main stalks get as big as soda cans then next two than normally follow are I would say almost a half dollar in circumference then the next set of topped is quarter size I normally stop after the third top so 6 in total I try to tie them down but most of the time they grow so fast that they just start to go up again and repeat. I just would like to start out with like 4-6 at the first split then I can go out maybe a foot or laterly before I let them......"reach for the stars"...didn't buzzlightyear say that...any way the question is will they get as big at the fim point and or or are they easier to split break because sometimes the toped ones will split down the middle which does stunt the growth a little but doesn't seem to stop them basically are they more fragile in that initial split of four to six branches unlike a topped plant which I know they're sturdy once you get size to them. I seen people with fimed plants and the branches that start at that point just seems small to me. Compared to when I top mine most likely it's just how you train it is how it will turn out is the answer.

S

snowmaners

Or top it first, then fim the next set? That way it has good legs? I'll try it both ways this year but I think you answered my question. You also suggested I put up the net over top of them. I want to do that but at that point I can't move the plants...ughhhh...well I planned on doing a couple in the ground this year...I think I'll try it with those.

Top Bottom