Topping 2nd, 3rd, or fourth node?

• Thread starter growsince79
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Excluding the cotyledons and first set of primary leaves, I’ve topped after 4th or 5th nodes. YNMV!🥴

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

For sure. Once they take their first steps of growth i begin topping it. Every two or three days i start topping and once i flip to flower. I topped topped nodes. I dont like the string bean spaghetti branches.

ArrEll

ArrEll

Anyone else top very small seedlings. I'm thinking about doing a little experiment.
Unless I had a good reason not to (based on Genetics and that particular strain's growth habits), I'd top those suckers right now. Just be careful. Use tiny scissors, like those ones in Manicure sets or something.

growsince79

growsince79

Unless I had a good reason not to (based on Genetics and that particular strain's growth habits), I'd top those suckers right now. Just be careful. Use tiny scissors, like those ones in Manicure sets or something.
I topped both after 3. I was gonna do 2 and 3 but I really doubt it makes much difference.

growsince79

growsince79

For sure. Once they take their first steps of growth i begin topping it. Every two or three days i start topping and once i flip to flower. I topped topped nodes. I dont like the string bean spaghetti branches.
I usually go for fewer large colas. But I been having problems with bud rot(only the giant colas). I think I'll try to make lots of little buds this round.

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Oh man. When you get to drying and trimming that youll see its a pain to trim up baby nugs.

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

I usually go for fewer large colas. But I been having problems with bud rot(only the giant colas). I think I'll try to make lots of little buds this round.

Do you live in a hot and humid area?
I am curious about the causes for bud rot, easy to Google but curious about whay is your case. If you dont mind :)

In nebulas guide to manifold she tops from the 5th node.

But experimenting is what drives knowledge forward

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Can you guys tell me the advantages from topping so young? I’ve been topping at the 4th or 5th node. Then when I apply some LST I train the lowest branches thru the middle instead of pruning them off. They catch up and I can leave them or tie them down and it’s been working pretty good and then those extra branches become nice tops as well.

growsince79

growsince79

Can you guys tell me the advantages from topping so young? I’ve been topping at the 4th or 5th node. Then when I apply some LST I train the lowest branches thru the middle instead of pruning them off. They catch up and I can leave them or tie them down and it’s been working pretty good and then those extra branches become nice tops as well.
I don't think it matters as long as its healthy and growing fast. I usually top at 4. I thought I'd try an experiment and do 2 and 3 this time. The wife changed my mind and wanted to do both at 3 (day 12). I'll cut the bottom 2 off and top the 2 tops again and let the lower 2 branches catch up. Hopefully be ready to flip by day 28.

growsince79

growsince79

Ime topping early promotes root and stem growth. So I like to top a couple days before I transplant. I want the roots in overdrive for transplant.
Day 13

IMG 20210818 094944843
Last edited:
ArrEll

ArrEll

Ime topping early promotes root and stem growth. So I like to top a couple days before I transplant. I want the roots in overdrive for transplant.
Day 13
I agree. Better to Top plants as early as possible....I mean: If you're going to Top them at all. IMO, they recover more quickly & Stunt less.

Top Bottom