Topping and LST? or just top?

• Thread starter Polbeth61
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Polbeth61

Polbeth61

Hey guys First time grower just topped 2autos do I have to also LST or should I just let them grow now?advice welcome from all levels 😁

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

It depends on the space, light intensity, and overall goals. If you have the space to train the 2 top branches to grow lateral, it will widen the entire plant and keep the canopy alot more even. It's really up to how you want them to grow, their are benefits either way.

Polbeth61

Polbeth61

Thanks dude, I suppose my question should really have been if I have the space and setup to do anything what would give the highest yield which is probably asking too much!?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Thanks dude, I suppose my question should really have been if I have the space and setup to do anything what would give the highest yield which is probably asking too much!?

Yeah, it's hard to say. People get great results doing both, so honestly, you should choose a specific style and see what happens, if you don't like it then do something else on the next grow.

What I can tell you is if you only have 2 plants, it would benefit you to have them stretch out as much as possible to fill in the space so no light is wasted. Mainlining is a great way to stretch out a plant. The only problem is I don't know how good it works with autos because I have no experience growing them, and mainlining usually requires extra veg time to fill in the canopy.

freezeland2

freezeland2

A lot of folks don’t top or even do defoliation of autoflowers. Theory being it puts to much stress on them and they hermi from it. My personal experience is I just do LST on them with good results.

ArrEll

ArrEll

Hey guys First time grower just topped 2autos do I have to also LST or should I just let them grow now?advice welcome from all levels 😁
How big/tall is your Grow space? What Strains are you growing? Are they expected to be Tall? etc etc etc

Polbeth61

Polbeth61

Yeah totally went down the wrong path growing 4 autos in a 2fx4f by 6f high(probably already tight) and was going to just let them grow, their all supposed to grow pretty high and in a completely uncharacteristic spur of the moment move decided to top 2 to see what happened (completely destroying all plans and thoughts already made) now just trying to make the best of it.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Yeah totally went down the wrong path growing 4 autos in a 2fx4f by 6f high(probably already tight) and was going to just let them grow, their all supposed to grow pretty high and in a completely uncharacteristic spur of the moment move decided to top 2 to see what happened (completely destroying all plans and thoughts already made) now just trying to make the best of it.

Ok, well like you said you will make the best of it. You will still get a harvest so just let them grow and they will do they thing, don't sweat it.

Guerilla 420

Guerilla 420

Yeah, it's hard to say. People get great results doing both, so honestly, you should choose a specific style and see what happens, if you don't like it then do something else on the next grow.

What I can tell you is if you only have 2 plants, it would benefit you to have them stretch out as much as possible to fill in the space so no light is wasted. Mainlining is a great way to stretch out a plant. The only problem is I don't know how good it works with autos because I have no experience growing them, and mainlining usually requires extra veg time to fill in the canopy.
i do both but i am outdoor so space is not an issue.
if you are indoor i don't think doing both would utilize your space properly.
i will top about every other node while also promoting center growth with lst.
good luck!

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
It really is strain dependent as well I think, this is an Auto I started from seed 20th April.
Topped between 4th and 5th node, then trained low and outwards, she is only 1 foot tall (33cm) at the tallest top.
She is still drinking loads and bulking the flowers.
Grown in Canna Terra Pro Plus Soil using Canna Terra nutrients along with Ecothrive Charge and Ecothrive Biosys.
The strain is a new one from SSSC/SUPER SATIVA SEED CLUB called Auto Elefant that they are launching soon.
It apparently has the potential to hit 20% THC and 10% CBD.

20210710 155355
20210710 155410

Top Bottom