topping clones??why??

• Thread starter tedsprogz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

tedsprogz

see how when you top a clone how it has no exponential effect on the growth?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

For ME it is EASIER to lst a plant that has been topped, I never said lst is inferior in any way, but in my growroom I like to top so I have 4 main branches in an X pattern and its easy for me to get a flat canopy by growing that way. If I didn't top then I would have to wrap the stem around to get the same flat, circle shaped canopy and that would mean more veg time. For other people they probably lst in a different way to get whatever shape they want and thats probably good for them. I don't even know why we are still talking about this because everything you said in your last post I never disagreed with, the only thing I don't agree about is how you said topping a clone is counter intuitive and I topped 3 out of my 5 clones so I will give you the results on my harvest so we can see how it effects yield. I took all 5 clones at the same time from the same plant and they are getting the same water/nute schedule and they are all about the same size so it will be a fair test.

T

tedsprogz

the last pic should help you see what i mean about the counter intuitiveness, cut 1, the ones below play catch up, no exponential gain...top a seeded plant, you get an expoential gain of growth.

i have 5 bank accounts... each with 100 buck in it...
someone comes a long and says leme borrow 100 bucks from 1 and ill put 100 pucks in the other.......
someone else comes along and says lemme borrow 100 and ill give 50 to all your other accounts........
which will you do?
not to mention one can be repeated as much as space and time allow. where the other will stunt growth if repeated to often.

T

tedsprogz

YOU said lst is inferior to topping with the whole 2 stem budsite math....

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I never said its inferior, I said it takes more veg time to get the same result, for me. Maybe for someone else that LST or Tops differently they can get a better result without topping based on how they grow.

I understand what your saying about stunting growth, but I top once in early veg and maybe once in late veg if needed. I LST alot more then topping so I'm not saying LST isn't good because I LST all my plants. I just like the growth pattern after I top and it makes for a more uniform plant compared to just bending a stem around in circles or a straight line, when I top I bend the new growth away from eachother and its the best way for ME because of space and time needed to do it. It would be alot easier for me to show you pics but I can't upload them for some reason, but when I LST'd without topping (like in your drawings) the end result was not as good as the LST topped plants, thats just how I grow and your not gonna change my mind and I'm not gonna change your mind so lets just end this conversation, peace bro and good luck on your grows.

T

tedsprogz

also a tip to stop the stem going around in circles and whatnot, when you get to your space limit, cut the very tip of what would be the top if you never lst'ed. this will stop the vine like growth. afterwards, bend the branches that grew as a result of the lst, creating a net if you will(one left, one right etc.)

not here to get anyone angry lol its just people picking my posts apart when i was trying to ask a reasonable question with reasonable science to back it.

good luck on your harvest bro

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

i top all my plants to create more tops whether clone or seed. more tops USUALLY will give you a better yeild of higher quality nugs. that does involve more than just topping but topping is the beginning of skilled process.
I was sitting in my lil room, stoned, and I started to notice that the plants grown from clone only produced 1 branch at the nodes where my seeded plants have 2.....went and did a bit of googling to find out why that is...Its because it only has genes from the mom. so this got me to thinking....why do people top clones?(besides for height/space control? You cut the top branch, only to wait for the node under to play catch up...

T

tedsprogz

Can you show me how you get more tops when you top your clones?
mine just make the ones that are already growing become dominant...

T

tedsprogz

could this be due to strain(white fire OG or so im told)?
I dont get the wishbone stem that i do when i top a plant from seed.
Am i doing something wrong?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I don't think your doing anything wrong, you just look at it differently. Just because the new stems don't grow from the same node doesn't mean the hormones don't react in the same way. What I mean is you are looking at the clones like each branch tries to catch up with the other, but there gonna look like that whether they are topped or untopped. Even plants from seed eventually have alternating nodes and it doesn't mean there "catching up" to eachother. The nodes will alternate, but the hormones will act the same, so when you top a clone it will still bush out because the auxins (hormones) are redirecting themselves to other branches. Like I said before, if I could upload pictures it would be soooo much easier for me to explain and alot easier for you to understand, but for some odd reason I still can't upload pics!! :mad:

tokeroo

tokeroo

Lex is correct based on my experience. I have had clones I have topped, and clones I have not topped. The ones I top react the same as the original "mother" plant did when topped. And if you continue to top the branches, you will end up with a very bushy tree.

The alternating nodes happens to ALL MJ plants, regardless if they are from seed or clone - male or female. This is a sign of sexual maturity.

Bigbagofspam

Bigbagofspam

Minor clarification of terminology...

Decussate phyllotaxy - Two successive pairs of leaves occurring perpendicular to each other.

Superposed phyllotaxy - All four located at the same node forming an x pattern.

Sorry, that was bugging me. Thank you for all the other information though.

Top Bottom