Topping for the first time - SourDiesel

• Thread starter Hamilton44
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hamilton44

Hamilton44

Hello, this is my very first grow and I hope this will be a life long adventure. I have grown three small plants now and I wish to top one of my plants to see the difference. But there is a lot of information out there so I hope that some of you will help me.

(I don't know if this is relevant, but I'll write some info)

I watered the plants yesterday
I have a 600w Combined MH/HPS bulb
The moisture is at around 40-50%, I don't have a humidifier so it is what it is.

So the question is, where do I cut? I would imagine it to be natural to cut where I have poorly drawn a red line.

If I cut this little thing, will then A and B become two new main stems?

It seems to me that that would be the right place, I don't want to "shock" the plant too much. All help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the lack of the right terminology, I'm new.

Topping for the first time   sourdiesel
Topping for the first time   sourdiesel 2
Topping for the first time   sourdiesel 3
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

That plant is too small to top. A common practice is to allow the plant to grow 5 nodes, and then cut just above the third node

Recommend you start watering that entire medium properly to encourage root growth; and if that's coco, look up how to properly water it before you run into issues due to the way you've been watering, good luck!

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hello, this is my very first grow and I hope this will be a life long adventure. I have grown three small plants now and I wish to top one of my plants to see the difference. But there is a lot of information out there so I hope that some of you will help me.

(I don't know if this is relevant, but I'll write some info)

I watered the plants yesterday
I have a 600w Combined MH/HPS bulb
The moisture is at around 40-50%, I don't have a humidifier so it is what it is.

So the question is, where do I cut? I would imagine it to be natural to cut where I have poorly drawn a red line.

If I cut this little thing, will then A and B become two new main stems?

It seems to me that that would be the right place, I don't want to "shock" the plant too much. All help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the lack of the right terminology, I'm new.
If you want to top then top it below your A B line on the first pic. I go topping crazy here's a pic of my last round of topping on a Sweet Tooth almost 2 months old I've topped over 60 times, shes about 16" tall

Hamilton44

Hamilton44

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. It is regular soil I bought at the store. The reason I watered it like I did was to get the water to the roots, but I see that my reasoning is not fact. So if I water the edge as well I will encourage the roots to stretch to get water. It all makes sense, again thanks a lot :)

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. It is regular soil I bought at the store. The reason I watered it like I did was to get the water to the roots, but I see that my reasoning is not fact. So if I water the edge as well I will encourage the roots to stretch to get water. It all makes sense, again thanks a lot :)
It's okay initially, but think about where the roots are going to grow, if you're leaving the outside section dry they're not going to grow into the dryness

In regular soil use a proper wet/dry watering cycle for best results, good luck

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Sour diesel as well for my first grow. Hum bolt seeds Topped them twice now and preparing for flower
looking good nice pot lifts you have there well suited to keep the roots up away from run off . Nice grow coming along there .

Ryboburton

Ryboburton

Thanks. Think I’m doing pretty well for my first grow. Need to cut clones ASAP and flower them. I’m concerned with height. Growing under two 315 lec from sun systems

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Sour diesel as well for my first grow. Hum bolt seeds Topped them twice now and preparing for flower
Unless your in a hurry top them again, let them fill in and then start taking clones off the under growth. They are still babies don't rush it. I'd let them grow another month in veg at least top a few times, you have lots of space and height. I'm a bit of a topping nut but what kind of plant do you want? is it an auto? then top away if not, to keep them short. Tie down the branches to the top of their pots if they get unruly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom