Topping In 12/12 Stretch

• Thread starter SKB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SKB

I'm sure it's not ideal but I have some ladies that were meant for a trellis but now are going to be staked. What can I expect from topping and shortening them up so they will be stake friendly? I don't ever seem to notice a huge difference but my friends freak out when I do it. Any science on this? Also a good solution for stakes that are thin but taller than the 4ft ones. Thanks yall.

Apollo13

Apollo13

Two lil buds where a cola would have been...don't cut. READ! Pinch and bend, tie back, hang weights on tip, nets. Many, many was besides cutting.....then read some more..ur just costing ur self bud bro by not reading on the matter..

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Two lil buds where a cola would have been...don't cut. READ! Pinch and bend, tie back, hang weights on tip, nets. Many, many was besides cutting.....then read some more..ur just costing ur self bud bro by not reading on the matter..
Like he said ^^^
Two little buds instead of nice cola. Do your last topping 7-10 days before you flip to 12/12 to reduce stress.

RalloD.Eno

RalloD.Eno

it depends on how much you have to take off and how the plant grows. if it's a plant that mostly produces on the top (single cola/minimal branching) i tend to not top it since it's gonna have to veg/branch out a bunch to make up for the top. but if it's a bushy plant i top that shit as soon as i flip it so i can keep it under control. if the plant is growing healthy and you didn't take off a significant amount of vegetation, i have seen little evidence to support scheduling prunings in order to minimize stress. i top when they need to be topped, i prune when they need to be pruned. 4th week of veg or 10th week of flower. makes no real difference as long as the roots are healthy and strong.

Reactions: SKB
H

happy b

Couldnt agree more.ttheres no need to cut in bloom.that would lose you weight as you have to give plants time to grow back a little bit after topping before flip.

H

happy b

it depends on how much you have to take off and how the plant grows. if it's a plant that mostly produces on the top (single cola/minimal branching) i tend to not top it since it's gonna have to veg/branch out a bunch to make up for the top. but if it's a bushy plant i top that shit as soon as i flip it so i can keep it under control. if the plant is growing healthy and you didn't take off a significant amount of vegetation, i have seen little evidence to support scheduling prunings in order to minimize stress. i top when they need to be topped, i prune when they need to be pruned. 4th week of veg or 10th week of flower. makes no real difference as long as the roots are healthy and strong.
Topping in the 10 th week of flower wont make a difference?were did you learn that?i STRONGLY DISAGREE with that and i feel obligated to point out i think its some of the WORSTE advice iv ever seen given on this forum.im not trying to offend anyone but i cant let that go unchallenged as a newby grower would see that and think it was ok to chopp up your plants way into flower with no problems.which they couldnt.if you chop up a plant that takes say 9 weeks to bloom past say week 2/3 of bloom and i GUARANTEE you will lose yeild as at that point its already more or less set its structure and put a fair bit of energy into producing flower sites.to chop em off now is just crazy.

G gnome

G gnome

I'm sure it's not ideal but I have some ladies that were meant for a trellis but now are going to be staked. What can I expect from topping and shortening them up so they will be stake friendly? I don't ever seem to notice a huge difference but my friends freak out when I do it. Any science on this? Also a good solution for stakes that are thin but taller than the 4ft ones. Thanks yall.
I got a suggestion for stakes taller than 4ft...how bout 5ft stakes...or 6ft stakes lol. Ya get em from the same place ya got the 4ft'ers lol

G gnome

G gnome

Bbzzzzzzzzzwrong answer

RalloD.Eno

RalloD.Eno

Topping in the 10 th week of flower wont make a difference?were did you learn that?i STRONGLY DISAGREE with that and i feel obligated to point out i think its some of the WORSTE advice iv ever seen given on this forum.im not trying to offend anyone but i cant let that go unchallenged as a newby grower would see that and think it was ok to chopp up your plants way into flower with no problems.which they couldnt.if you chop up a plant that takes say 9 weeks to bloom past say week 2/3 of bloom and i GUARANTEE you will lose yeild as at that point its already more or less set its structure and put a fair bit of energy into producing flower sites.to chop em off now is just crazy.
A.) who's topping plants in week 10 unless they're harvesting the top? use your brain i clearly said pruning.
B.) you're entitled to your opinions as am i.
C.) i hope a noob reads this and learns that it's perfectly ok to prune their plants all the way through flower. that's why i wrote my words. so that people can benefit from my experience.
D.) someone would have to be pretty stupid to chop up a plant late flower. i dunno why anyone would chop up a plant before they're gonna harvest it. PERIOD.
E.) I totally agree with you that you will lose yield if you "chop up a plant" at any point in it's flowering period.
F.) good thing i didn't tell anyone to chop up their plants.
G.) that would be fucking EMBARRASSING.

RalloD.Eno

RalloD.Eno

Bbzzzzzzzzzwrong answer
lol how can my own opinions be wrong? dictionaries...how do they work?
both plants 13 days into 12/12 i pruned one plant the other day, the other one i will prune after the stretch stops somewhere in week 4-5 i will continue to prune the second one all the way through flower as it is a really leafy bushy plant and if i don't continually take off all the lower branches and budsites it will cost me yield in the form of a bunch of time spent on popcorn that wont grow into anything but fluff.

this is all facts for me, and opinions to you. at no time is it ever wrong. unless i'm making this all up. in which case...it is the wrong answer isn't it.

CAM01664
CAM01665
soserthc1

soserthc1

To funny .... :banhappy:

And by topping in the beginning of flower your prob gonna cost yourself a extra week of flower as the plants will focus on forming buds not growing them .
Stock up on those 4 ft steaks when its snowing in the neighborhood mall lot :woot: and I prune on day 21 and 42 and as needed I hate ugly leaves

RalloD.Eno

RalloD.Eno

nah i'm not. topping in the beginning of flower has 0 effect except to redirect energy from the tops to the branches. they haven't even started making flowers yet? how the hell is their yields being lost before flowers form? come on people use your brains.

the first 3-4 weeks of flower is essentially extended veg time. technically they aren't even really "flowering" until the stretch stops.

H

happy b

To funny .... :banhappy:

And by topping in the beginning of flower your prob gonna cost yourself a extra week of flower as the plants will focus on forming buds not growing them .
Stock up on those 4 ft steaks when its snowing in the neighborhood mall lot :woot: and I prune on day 21 and 42 and as needed I hate ugly leaves
Thank you soser.some one with a bit of sense at last.
lol how can my own opinions be wrong? dictionaries...how do they work?
both plants 13 days into 12/12 i pruned one plant the other day, the other one i will prune after the stretch stops somewhere in week 4-5 i will continue to prune the second one all the way through flower as it is a really leafy bushy plant and if i don't continually take off all the lower branches and budsites it will cost me yield in the form of a bunch of time spent on popcorn that wont grow into anything but fluff.

this is all facts for me, and opinions to you. at no time is it ever wrong. unless i'm making this all up. in which case...it is the wrong answer isn't it.
The guy was asking about TOPPING not pruning.if i ask someone "were should i top my plant?" And he says "prune it at the 3rd internode." That means hes told me to do the wrong thing coz he used the word "prune" instead of "top".you made it sound like you were saying its ok to top/prune(i assumed TOPS since we were infact talking tops not talking about lollipopping underneath) into the 10 th week of flower.you can rhyme off as many daft answers next to letters all you want it doesnt change the facts.

H

happy b

nah i'm not. topping in the beginning of flower has 0 effect except to redirect energy from the tops to the branches. they haven't even started making flowers yet? how the hell is their yields being lost before flowers form? come on people use your brains.

the first 3-4 weeks of flower is essentially extended veg time. technically they aren't even really "flowering" until the stretch stops.
The first 4 weeks of bloom is Extended veg time?why coz theres no buds before then?thats not true.your peddling nonsense as fact.go do it elswere.

RalloD.Eno

RalloD.Eno

how do you ask me a question, then asnwer it for me then tell me my (your) answer is wrong? if you ask me questions...wait for my reply...sheesh.

i call it extended veg time because most of it's energy is spent in building bud sites and stretching. aka veg time shit. i consider it fully into flower when the buds are getting swollen and nothing else. if the branches are still stretching and new bud sites are still forming from bare branches. then it's still in the transition phase and you should continue pruning heavily like you do in veg.

for the record pruning is not topping, if you don't know the difference please go look it up before continuing your rants about topping off budsites in flower because that is not what i said...at all.

RalloD.Eno

RalloD.Eno

you should prolly go reread what i wrote originally. i addressed the OP's question by telling him what i have learned. i clearly laid out when he should top and when he shouldn't so please ffs stop putting words in my mouth.
Thank you soser.some one with a bit of sense at last.

The guy was asking about TOPPING not pruning.if i ask someone "were should i top my plant?" And he says "prune it at the 3rd internode." That means hes told me to do the wrong thing coz he used the word "prune" instead of "top".you made it sound like you were saying its ok to top/prune(i assumed TOPS since we were infact talking tops not talking about lollipopping underneath) into the 10 th week of flower.you can rhyme off as many daft answers next to letters all you want it doesnt change the facts.

RalloD.Eno

RalloD.Eno

here i'll quote it for you and go ahead and highlight it too.

soserthc1

soserthc1

Gentlemen STOP it damn it ....
Agree to disagree and carry on ... You should prune when you want and top generally before you hit flower at least a week . if you didn't so what, your buds will be generally smaller than 1 big cola but it still gonna work .

Some people don't like to prune as they feel that leaves feed the plant and any pruning is detrimental to growing buds

Some prune to allow more penetration of light and to focus energy in tops not lower larf

If we all just answer the question at hand with are experiences or facts the op would get a better handle on his answer and we wouldn't have a forum filled of garbage threads

Ahhhhh

Top Bottom