Topping the OG

• Thread starter sanvanalona
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sanvanalona

sanvanalona

I have a question about topping the og. I have the tahoe, larry, and sfv from cali going and I just didn't know if I should top them? Any suggestions from those who know these strains?

R

Rolln J

I dont top OG, I have grow it in ScroG with the plant trimmed 50% clean from the bottoms - getting 2oz average per under 1000 watts with 10-14 days veg from clone.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

I dont top OG, I have grow it in ScroG with the plant trimmed 50% clean from the bottoms - getting 2oz average per under 1000 watts with 10-14 days veg from clone.
Thanks a lot! Probably won't be topping those then.

K

KushMaster707

yea i dont either, jus pack em in tight an watch the kush colas sway

B

BiggerTom

I dunno man, I'd supercrop the OG plants if I were you. OG is a strange lady. She REALLY responds to the supercrop.
I've heard they get really tall too. I am on my fourth run of OG, and I wouldn't know about the height, because I have always supercropped mine and kept them lower in height.
If you keep them growing as is, would you please keep us updated as I'd like to know what they'd do left alone.

0MEGA

im wondering the same thing. im growing raskals OG and Orgnkid OG s1, the raskal was the smallest out of the bunch 4 strains. and now she is taller with less nodes than the sour D or Bubba i was thinking about topping or supercropping just not sure.Highly considering Just LST but id like to see some results somewhere on this site with og.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

I have two that seem very similar in the Tahoe, so I will attempt a test run of topping one and leaving the other as is. Keep you posted

true grit

true grit

I supercropped and did not top my last OG- and I will say this.... I will top and continue to supercrop every OG from now on. The supercropping helps greatly, but it could have used more tops, and a more level canopy of buds to get all dank and dense. I grow more bush type, not SOG or flood tables, just large pots/buckets. And since it stretches a good amount, if you could even do some LST to get more tops you will be much happier later.

Just my opinion, as I try to shoot for at least 2-3 oz's a plant. And only got a little over 1 oz from that last one with no topping, and it was the runt. I most def think there is potential with some pre-training.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I top and supercrop everything, the strain is totally irrelevant and trust me I have ran hundreds of strains both ways and have yet to see an untopped plant do what a topped one will do for me indoors...I shoot for 6-8 oz' dried from each plant, a 4oz dried plant will rarely make the cut around here.

Tex

R

Rocky Top

I started growing the Larry OG and swerve suggested I supercrop. I started pinching just as they went into flower and holy shit! I have no idea what type of yields you get without topping but I know that pinching the OG is like some magical stimulant. Seriously, I have no doubt that my yields will be at least double with supercropping vs no SC.

The plant that did NOT get SC just doesn't have the bud sites. I started SC her a few weeks ago and now she is ready for flower. The difference between the 2 was amazing. I can't stress enough to SC your OG. You won't ever look back.

L

livinglegend

i cant believe some people are saying not to top or supercrop.
its a no brainer for me. do it and increase yield. plain and simple. the results are obvious.

true grit

true grit

...I shoot for 6-8 oz' dried from each plant, a 4oz dried plant will rarely make the cut around here.

Tex

Indeed, I'm thinkin with the extra 4-5k watts I'll hopefully have the same standards! Lol. It was tough to beat 4oz off 1 600w, but I bet with enough light 6-8oz of OG won't be a problem. I think highagain was getting 8+ off an SFV OG under a 1k.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Indeed, I'm thinkin with the extra 4-5k watts I'll hopefully have the same standards! Lol. It was tough to beat 4oz off 1 600w, but I bet with enough light 6-8oz of OG won't be a problem. I think highagain was getting 8+ off an SFV OG under a 1k.
Would you explain how you supercrop? I am very interested. Which node, where at exactly on the plant?

H

highroller

Premium Member
Supporter
I started growing the Larry OG and swerve suggested I supercrop. I started pinching just as they went into flower and holy shit! I have no idea what type of yields you get without topping but I know that pinching the OG is like some magical stimulant. Seriously, I have no doubt that my yields will be at least double with supercropping vs no SC.

The plant that did NOT get SC just doesn't have the bud sites. I started SC her a few weeks ago and now she is ready for flower. The difference between the 2 was amazing. I can't stress enough to SC your OG. You won't ever look back.

Hey Rocky Top a question for you. You say you starting pinching the plants after you put them into flower? Could you elaborate a bit? How many times? I usually stop topping once they are into flower. Matter of fact I don't top within at least a week or two before flipping.
Or do you mean pinching as in weakening the stem for supercropping.

R

Rolln J

i cant believe some people are saying not to top or supercrop.
its a no brainer for me. do it and increase yield. plain and simple. the results are obvious.

you are correct - you must do something with the OG to thicken the stalks or it will get to leggy and not be able to hold as much bud...

I have grown OG in a scrog (screen of green) - so I tie them down to the screen just as they pass it with green garden wire - thats why I dont top - I have suppercropped just the main stem on them before I had them in scrog - I didnt make that clear in my post -with scrog you tie plants down to fill the screen...

true grit

true grit

Supercropping is where you basically, and gently as possible, break a branch/top over on itself and it heals thicker and with an elbow basically. This helps control the canopy and encourages the side branching to grow without having to top and possibly stunt growth (i would prefer to do both)....

My method- I squish and gently mash where ever on the branch I choose to bend it, usually several inches from the top depending on where you want the elbow. After I feel the cell wall mashed, I gently bend it back and forth a lil until it folds over on itself. Basically looking like a broken stem but without external cell wall damage or rupture. Sometimes though the cell wall does rupture, but you'd be amazed at how these plants can heal themselves. If you don't break the branch and just fold it over, it will more than likely repair itself and be upright again within a day. But during this period the rest of the lower branching respond like topping....

Yeah Highroller, some folks supercrop for the first couple weeks of stretch during flower. I know Swerve suggests that for the OGs and others do just to control stretch height and get more budsites.

R

Rolln J

topping = more branching = more bud sites = more yield

not always - some strains dont respond well to topping and some people top too much - frequently more bud sites means more trim work for the same amount of bud!

R

Rocky Top

Hey Rocky Top a question for you. You say you starting pinching the plants after you put them into flower? Could you elaborate a bit? How many times? I usually stop topping once they are into flower. Matter of fact I don't top within at least a week or two before flipping.
Or do you mean pinching as in weakening the stem for supercropping.

What I actually did was to start pinching the bud sites just like you do when SC but instead of pinching and laying over the stem, I just pinch the tallest buds first. This allows the lower buds to sorta "catch up" with the taller buds and the bud sites just explode. Just like you said...pinching as in weakening the stem for SC. Pinch just enough until you feel the stem "pop". I pinched for the first 2 weeks and I pinched about every 3 days.

Here are a few pics. The first was as I started 12/12. The next is at 3 weeks flower and the last is at 50 days of flower. Hopefully these pics will give you a better idea as to how much impact the pinching has on OG. Good luck...

AAA cailee 117
A OG 7 weeks 042
A OG 7 weeks 031
Top Bottom