Topping Vs Fimming Vs LST Vs LEAVE IT ALONE?????

• Thread starter growgrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

growgrow

Hey guys,
I wanted to know your thoughts on this because I have heard tons and tons of conflicting statements and posts concerning this... I would like to get some of the experts opinions on these techniques concerning timing, results, and reasons..... heres a pic.... Thanks guys

GROW>......

Topping
C

CAPO

I think combos of these techniques are the best. I think the most important thing is how your strain grows and reacts to different techniques. Also, a lot depends on your environment and style, such as...trees...or scrog????

Venom818

Venom818

I like topping and then super cropping but it depends on the starin and what your trying to achieve.

matamus

matamus

im a big fan of fiming for the first cut, and like capo said it is very strain dependent, I have a white widow that loves to be topped, but a yumbolt that its a waste of time to top, there are pros and cons to both, just what fits your plant and your style.

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
I have found that not all strains like FIM but the ones that do can double your yield, I have yet to find a strain that does not respond well to topping. If you read Texas Kids grows he always topps and thats good enough for me..JACK

S

slimjoint

i top, super crop, fim and lst in that order, get these plants that look like one crazy nug

C

CAPO

I agree with Jack I always top...always. I really haven't found a strain yet that prefered fim. Does anyone have an example?

I can only guess that FIM would stop top growth while beefing the lower branches and give them time to reach the canopy, without the tip splitting into 2 branches like topping would do.

purpleberry

purpleberry

Ive tried to fim a few times and never liked the results, I top then supercrop or scrog.

A

Aerio

heres a good fim example.

fim "fuck i missed" works a lot of times. Here is my plant that I fimmed and it sprouted 4 stems.

PS: It looks a little bare because I was experimenting with trimming the fan leaves to see if the buds improved in size.

PPS: It worked :}

Thcfarmer1
jansjukebox

jansjukebox

og responds well to fim..since it's a stretch strand, the fim lets the lower branches catch up to the top and forms a nice canopy or tops..white berry likes it to..come to think of it the only thing that i don't thin would respond to it to well is a 100 percent indica unless you did it and gave it like 2 more weeks of veg time. when i grow mixed strands in my garden, i'll let the shortys go and fim the taller strands..helps keep my canopy even

A

Aerio

More info

Now heres my other experiment tree.

As you can see I did not FIM I did a chop. SO only two main stems came out.

*have not started budding yet*

On this tree I did experiments with. I trimmed ever fan leaf that was coming out of the middle main stem branch. After doing so as you can see the nodes grew large bud producing branches for such a small plant. Almost looks bushy.

THCfarmer 2
G

growgrow

Wow guys.... thanks much for sharing.... i think that i am just going to leave them right now because when I tried to FIM them ..... they all turned neon yellowish green..... Maybe on my next grow I will top.... i guess i am a little scared about cutting my ladies right now when i know they will produce some in the state that they are in.... im jus scared to kill them.... but all of yours look great.... Thanks for all of the responses....

GROW

D

dailychronic

Maybe just try some lst it is another way to get mutiple tops without actually cutting off any growth. Personally I know a few strants that take to long to recover from a top. Although an added bonus of topping is you can clone the top which is a nice bonus.

D

DongerMan

Interesting.
I find most strains i grow respond well to topping.

M

MJPassion

I've never found a strain I didn't like to top.

Bushes are great for all other methods.

Watch out with doing anything with a pure sativa cause it'll go crazy on ya no matter what.

GI JO

GI JO

I like topping. First pics are purple kush about 3 weeks into veg. The last pic are plants that were topped (in flower about 30-40 days)
rsz_1005.jpg
rsz_006.jpg
rsz_004.jpg
rsz_36_days_4_1.jpg

G

growgrow

Maybe just try some lst it is another way to get mutiple tops without actually cutting off any growth. Personally I know a few strants that take to long to recover from a top. Although an added bonus of topping is you can clone the top which is a nice bonus.

Thanks.... how late is too late to do the lst... i am 2 weeks into veg?

I've never found a strain I didn't like to top.

Bushes are great for all other methods.

Watch out with doing anything with a pure sativa cause it'll go crazy on ya no matter what.

What happens to sativas?..... one of my strains is TrainWreck original.... since this is my first grow i am a little apprehensive about chopping or bending anything.. thanks...

I like topping. First pics are purple kush about 3 weeks into veg. The last pic are plants that were topped (in flower about 30-40 days)
rsz_1005.jpg
rsz_006.jpg
rsz_004.jpg
rsz_36_days_4_1.jpg

Wow.... those look great...... jsut 3 weeks into veg?.... how big are the clones when you start them? how many tops? How tall?..... also... how many plants do you have in flower in that last pic?.... Everything looks great... thanks for all your help guys..

GROW!!

GI JO

GI JO

The clones were approx. 6-8 " to begin with, are now 18". They all have 6-8 tops now. It's not too late for topping IMO. Last pic was 12 plants.

G

growgrow

The clones were approx. 6-8 " to begin with, are now 18". They all have 6-8 tops now. It's not too late for topping IMO. Last pic was 12 plants.

Damn GI... just 12 plants... shit looks huge.... how many lights are you running? I hope mine gets close to that.... shit looks real good...

GROW

The is a Raskal'OG i've FIM'd and tried some LST on her. I have done some fimming befor and noticed a good yeild

View attachment 75632

View attachment 75633

View attachment 75634

View attachment 75635

quite a few tops.... all competing for the top position... looks great... how tall is she since you have used that LST bondage.... and when you flower... how much taller does she get?.... ALL LOOKS GOOd...... Great detailed pics on that first one you FIMed.....

GROW

Top Bottom