Torches for Titanium Nails: Butane vs Propane

• Thread starter onisdad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dabzglobz

ik this sounds dumb but my torch ran out of butane and i don't have time to go all the way out to home depot for more butane.
can i use my kitchen stove to heat up my ti nail? i think its too low but how long would i have to do it to get it to dabbing temp (800-900) is where i like it cuz i have a carb cap.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

You definitely can melt titanium with propane, but you would destroy your rig before that happened, it would surpass red hot and then to white before it melted, adding oxygen adds several hundred degrees to the flame.

S

Sir Dabsalot

Yep only errl in mine! Its actually due for a cleaning LOL i think only two percs are open on it!

View attachment 321914

View attachment 321915
Another awesome efficient way of keeping ur rig clean is olive/vegetable oil. Put a thin lair at the bottom of your rig then fill up to normal with water. Smoke like normal and the veg oil will coat the inside of ur rig preventing the reclaim from sticking to the glass. Just combines with the wax. Dump after it looks dirty and ur rig us ready to go nice an clean

Calixylon

Calixylon

Titanium will never be melted by propane or butane, Im gonna say that MAP gas wouldnt even deform or damage titanium, but i wouldnt find out. Also ive used Propane for as long as i can remember, screw buying butane cans of ronson for 10 bucks, i can get a Propane Torch refill for $2.50 at homedepot, and they last me months of dabbing, just not as pretty as the litte vector torches

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Titanium will never be melted by propane or butane, Im gonna say that MAP gas wouldnt even deform or damage titanium, but i wouldnt find out. Also ive used Propane for as long as i can remember, screw buying butane cans of ronson for 10 bucks, i can get a Propane Torch refill for $2.50 at homedepot, and they last me months of dabbing, just not as pretty as the litte vector torches

Melting point of titanium 3,000 °F
MAPP flame temp in air 3,670 °F
Propane / Oxygen Flame temp 5,110 °F

Propane and MAPP can both support a flame temperature capable of melting Titanium.

That being said while dabbing you would never bring the titanium to the heat required to melt Titanium.

So it matters not really what kind of gas you use, some are hotter which translate to faster heat which translates to more dabs per minute :)

Graywolf

Graywolf

Propane's MAX bur

Propane's MAX burning point in a hand held cylinder is 3,400 F. Titanium's melting point is 3,034 F. Propane ignites at somewhere around 900-1,000 F. The only way it would start to be come dangerous is if you're sitting down with 5+ friends lighting dab after dab after dab. I've seen a titanium nail melt, though it was MAPP, not propane, because MAPP reaches its highest temp of around 3,600 F about 3 x as fast as propane, and after 18 or so dabs, I started to light another and noticed discoloring and flaking on the nail. So I took it out, threw it in water to cool it, and threw it out.
If you use propane, you'll be fine, trust.

3400F in heaven but not in practical application. Actually, if you roll it thin enough, Titanium ribbon will burn like magnesium or zirconium.

In the investment casting industry, we routinely used oxyfuel to remove Titanium gating from castings, but as we are talking about Titanium Nails, I challenge you to melt a CP Titanium nail with a hand held propane plumbers torch.

Having a flame temperature under optimum laboratory conditions, and using it to heat a Ti nail with convection, conduction, and radiation giving off heat, won't raise the nail to the flame temperature.

Last edited:
S

Sheddweller

I use a gas station bought bing and a ti head with a Walmart bought propain tank iv melted the nail once buy it didn't actually do any damage I just scraped the charded bit off and still use it I don't let it get to red I do let it cool down but I think propane and ti heads go wel together

S

scotTHEoiler

i haven't touched a flammable liquid since they discovered kerosene in an open environment (not compressed in a can) can melt steel. i can tell you, sulfur doesn't even come close to meltdown temps (or dabbing temps at that). just thought i'd warn DO NOT USE KEROSENE!!!

O

Oriely72

Credentials- 12+ years of blowing glass and lampworking. Degree in Applied Sciences of FireaneFire and Combustion.

So propane and butane both burn slightly under 3600°F. Titanium melts it's slightly over 3000 degrees Fahrenheit and borosilicate glass about half of that. So technically both butane and Propane can melt titanium as well as boro glass. This will however take some time,mixing more than a few seconds.
Bottom line of using either one is to prevent thermal shock!! aka not heat up or cool down too quickly. And you'll be fine

Graywolf

Graywolf

In heaven the nail would reach the flame temperature, but here on planet earth where heat is also conducted and radiated away, not so easy and in perspective, we are speaking about a vaporizing nail as opposed to ribbon or chips, which I can melt and even ignite with a propane torch.

That means it gets down to heat input vis a vis losses, or torch size. Now if my mission was to prove I could melt a titanium nail, I would get a big one, but if I was actually trying to heat a nail for vaporizing, I would pick something more controllable, that wasn't noisy and obnoxious to everyone in the room.

We burned off titanium casting gates and sprues using propane and oxygen, and the oxygen is the key. You would stand until you grew old trying to melt a gating system without it.

Again perspective, so back to vaporizing nails. I switched to an electric nail a couple of years ago and have never looked back. I turn it on in the morning and off at night. It is available at exactly the right temperature when I want it and people don't respond to it as negatively, as they do to what reminds some of them of a ghetto crack rig.

R

rascali

Geez, I didn't realize electric nails were that robust and could handle always on. Is that a commercialy available setup or a "Tony Stark" contraption?

Graywolf

Graywolf

Geez, I didn't realize electric nails were that robust and could handle always on. Is that a commercialy available setup or a "Tony Stark" contraption?
I bought a 20mm coil and hooked it up to a PID, which I stuffed into a hobby box.

I used the first one for a couple of years before the thermocouple failed and I replaced it. The heating coil still worked, but without a thermocouple signal, the PID cycled it using the over temperature over ride, giving it a wide swing.

Once settled in, the current one doesn't deviate more than about a degree either direction and usually reads dead on.

Top Bottom