Total newbie, photoperiod question for outdoor grow

• Thread starter caldodecorazon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

caldodecorazon

Hi everyone!

Super new to growing cannabis. My question might be silly but I’m getting a lot of conflicting info.

I purchased some photoperiod feminized seeds and am trying to figure out when I can start them.

I live in north Florida and I am doing exclusively outdoor grow.

I watched a video that said put outside when daylight is 14 hours but I have also heard 12.

Down here we barely get 14 long of days at the height of summer.

I would love to be able to start my seeds at the equinox.

Thanks!

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

You can prevent outdoor plants from flowering by supplying some artificial light. It doesn't take much. A 60W equivalent bulb, placed nearby, will do it. Keep it on for about 6 hours during the evening, after sunset. When you want to flower, get rid of the light.

Trixie

Trixie

Start them indoors under an increasing 12/12 photoperiod, and in the middle of March put them outdoors in a Sunny spot. As long as the photoperiod is increasing the plant should stay in Veg. However, if your plant does start to flower just leave it alone because it will re-veg in Florida.

J

Jojo420

FOR A GUARENTEED SUCESS
MAY 1
otherwise they will start to flower then reveg and things will get messy
Good luck :)

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

In my experience if you start with lights you must run lights till you want to go into flower. Plants start stretching early and acting wierd? Hang some fricken lights up!!! Clones are more senstive than seed plants but they will both shock into flower easily, i have had plants go into flower mid may after, i have tapered them off lights and had them go into flower, pretty much everytime ive tried to go from lights to outside they shock into flower. I have also noticed seeds started in greenhouses without lights do not shock, and it also can take as little as a few bulbs or even solar lights to keep them from flowering

B

BudgetGrower

I live in the UK so my weather is different, but every year I grow tomatoes, I start them off indoors, controlling the environment, when they get to a good size I harden them off, outside for a week, longer hours every day, but indoors of a night.
This gives my plants the best start.

20230512 171416
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I live in the UK so my weather is different, but every year I grow tomatoes, I start them off indoors, controlling the environment, when they get to a good size I harden them off, outside for a week, longer hours every day, but indoors of a night.
This gives my plants the best start.
There's only one problem with your suggestion ....

Tomato plants are not photo-period sensitive and hardening off the plant is not the same as keeping a photo-period plant from flowering.

B

BudgetGrower

There's only one problem with your suggestion ....

Tomato plants are not photo-period sensitive and hardening off the plant is not the same as keeping a photo-period plant from flowering.
it's not about flowering the plant off, it's about giving the plants the best start.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

it's not about flowering the plant off, it's about giving the plants the best start.
I do agree with what you stated, but that wasn't the OP's question ...

His/her question was how do they avoid plants going into flower in the early spring-time. Best answer ... add light for a few hours during the dark cycle.

Top Bottom