Total Noob - Outdoor Sexing Question

• Thread starter Deplorable
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Deplorable

Hey Everyone. I'm completely 100% new to growing cannabis. I am not however, a novice gardener and I'm pretty good with science. I've read a lot and talked to some friends, but still cannot get a good response to this question, including web searches.

Basic Info: Mid Atlantic climate. Full sun. Tallest plants on left in pics are about 4 months old. The 3 medium ones are about 3 months old. The plants are pampered. Last pH check was almost dead on 7 (hard to tell with paper). They are grown in my own mix of Fox Farms Fish, perlite, and coco coir. They are fed Dyna Grow at 1/4 tsp per 1/2 gal water 2X per week now. The seeds are of unknown origin, but from very high quality west coast pot stock. I have no idea if the plants are even in the same strain.

Problem: I cannot sex them. There are no identifiable preflowers. I'm waiting on rockwool cubes to arrive soon and I am going to attempt to clone one per plant and try and force them to flower on a 12/12 indoor/outdoor schedule.

Photos:

https://ibb.co/doSCQQ

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

It looks like you know what you're doing. And it sounds like you are well-versed. You have the right idea make clones of each one. I wouldn't worry about putting my clones into flower. By the time you get to that point your plants maybe flowering already but keep those clones to each plant and then you can toss them males.

D

Deplorable

It looks like you know what you're doing. And it sounds like you are well-versed. You have the right idea make clones of each one. I wouldn't worry about putting my clones into flower. By the time you get to that point your plants maybe flowering already but keep those clones to each plant and then you can toss them males.

Thanks. As I said, I'm not new to gardening, but I am cannabis. So I've read a few books, watched a handful of videos, and perused a ton of sites.

Do outdoor plants on Mother Nature's photocycle take substantially longer to develop their sex traits?

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Thanks. As I said, I'm not new to gardening, but I am cannabis. So I've read a few books, watched a handful of videos, and perused a ton of sites.

Do outdoor plants on Mother Nature's photocycle take substantially longer to develop their sex traits?
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the age and maturity of the plant. The plants will probably start flowering when they notice a substantial loss in the hours of light per day. Unless you have autoflowers.

D

Deplorable

I would think given the age and size of the plants, they would have shown something to indicate their gender.

Surely, someone here has an idea of how long it takes for sex organs to show on an outdoor plant? I know there are a zillion different variables. In our area we drop below 12 hours of sun late September. October tend to be very temperate. I wonder how long it will take them to flower then. I cannot see them getting too much taller in those pots.

PS - the two tall ones survived a 2/3 leaf nibbling by my German Shepherd when they were about a foot tall. In case anyone has wondered what would happen...

Last edited:
OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Depending on where you live, quite possibly. If you're north, the days haven't gotten short enough yet to really kick flowering into gear. Where I live (southwest washington), we're 2 to 3 weeks away. My plants have been in the ground for four months. If they were indoors, we'd have flipped the lights long ago, and they would be showing a lot of flower by now.

Don't worry, they'll show.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

I would think given the age and size of the plants, they would have shown something to indicate their gender.

Surely, someone here has an idea of how long it takes for sex organs to show on an outdoor plant? I know there are a zillion different variables. In our area we drop below 12 hours of sun late September. October tend to be very temperate. I wonder how long it will take them to flower then. I cannot see them getting too much taller in those pots.

PS - the two tall ones survived a 2/3 leaf nibbling by my German Shepherd when they were about a foot tall. In case anyone has wondered what would happen...
Would it really matter? Would you really want to pull them out before waiting till they go into flower to be absolutely sure? Make those clones and hang on to them then you should be in good shape.

Underthesun

Underthesun

They'll show soon. Make lots of mental notes now, watch them gradually change at the nodes. After a few years practice you'll be able to tell sex earlier.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Hey Everyone. I'm completely 100% new to growing cannabis. I am not however, a novice gardener and I'm pretty good with science. I've read a lot and talked to some friends, but still cannot get a good response to this question, including web searches.

Basic Info: Mid Atlantic climate. Full sun. Tallest plants on left in pics are about 4 months old. The 3 medium ones are about 3 months old. The plants are pampered. Last pH check was almost dead on 7 (hard to tell with paper). They are grown in my own mix of Fox Farms Fish, perlite, and coco coir. They are fed Dyna Grow at 1/4 tsp per 1/2 gal water 2X per week now. The seeds are of unknown origin, but from very high quality west coast pot stock. I have no idea if the plants are even in the same strain.

Problem: I cannot sex them. There are no identifiable preflowers. I'm waiting on rockwool cubes to arrive soon and I am going to attempt to clone one per plant and try and force them to flower on a 12/12 indoor/outdoor schedule.

Photos:

https://ibb.co/doSCQQ
Check the top of the plants.

Top Bottom