Training for trees?

• Thread starter tj Wise
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tj Wise

tj Wise

I'm outdoors in 4 ft square containers. I need info, but not for indoor, and not for guerrilla. I want to maximize production, but it would be cool if we'd stay under 7 ft tall. My girls are now thriving after getting some sunburn, so I am thinking about topping and low/high stress training. My harvest in southern oregon should come around halloween, i think... so... what should i do now?

tj Wise

tj Wise

and... is there a resource that focuses on outdoor/home locations? I know indoor has many more people growing, but that is not what I am doing, and the differences seem big.

OrganicGanja

OrganicGanja

Your thoughts are deffinetly on the right track starting with some LST and topping to achieve your desired height trellis netting can also help with the training. Be extra careful to stay camouflage in your outdoor plots not only does one battle the elements of nature but there is always pirates and the good old eye in the sky. Cheers Mi amigo

OrganicGanja

OrganicGanja

and... is there a resource that focuses on outdoor/home locations? I know indoor has many more people growing, but that is not what I am doing, and the differences seem big.
Your right the difference between indoor and outdoor is like night and day. George Cervantes has some really good reads on indoors and outdoor specific books.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I think it really depends on the plant..some need training, some dont.
What strains are you growing?

tj Wise

tj Wise

Your right the difference between indoor and outdoor is like night and day. George Cervantes has some really good reads on indoors and outdoor specific books.
I will look at more stuff from GC, thanks!

tj Wise

tj Wise

I am growing Kush, Pineapple, and Blue Dream. Four of each.

tj Wise

tj Wise

Jorge Cervantes seems to write about indoor and guerrilla, mainly. I'll continue to search for "home outdoor tree farming" information sources.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I am growing Kush, Pineapple, and Blue Dream. Four of each.
Got pics?
im no expert....and with out seeing them its hard to know..but
I would leave the kush alone..let it grow natural..
Top the blue dream a few times , prune the small branches off later
I know nothing about pinapple though.

Jorge Cervantes seems to write about indoor and guerrilla, mainly. I'll continue to search for "home outdoor tree farming" information sources.
There is thread here
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/smallzzs-5-steps-to-bigger-outdoor-plants.58782/

OrganicGanja

OrganicGanja

Hey dude your absolutely right I just browsed my book shelf and the outdoor books by George Cervantes are more geared to guerilla growing outdoors. However I did come across the book I thought was by George its actually by Dry West. Secrets Of The West Coast Masters its a very quick read but its 100% only about training trees with 64 quarter ounce top colas in theory yielding over a pound a plant indoors. Outdoors you will easily double if not triple in yields. Cheers mi amigo.

tj Wise

tj Wise

In August 2011 the420times reviewed SOTWCM by Dru West, but the make it sound like an indoor book.

OrganicGanja

OrganicGanja

Yes it is based indoors but strictly about training they only aim for a one lbs tree roughly under a 1k lamp. However using the same methods of trainning and raised beds one could quadruple these yields with ease outdoors. Smart pots are a blessing in outdoor setups if one has access to an abundance of water they really do dry out quick makes for a lot of watering in hotter months as most raised beds require.

tj Wise

tj Wise

How many times should I top a plant I expect to get to 8 ft high? Do i worry about getting top heavy? Can I train lower branches to grow really wide? Should I tie the top of each plant to lean North? How does super cropping interact with all this?

OrganicGanja

OrganicGanja

Yes almost always expect for trees to be a Lil top heavy. Nothing a few posts or big bamboo steaks can't fix. Trellis netting will help support the weight as well. Make sure every limb that could possibly go under the net is under it an tied to it. There is no right or wrong amount of times to top or FIM a plant just stop topping a week or so before flowering begins. The more top branches or tops you have the more weight she will put on. Yes stretch the branches out as far and wide as they will go. Just bending stems lightly between fingers daily is LST and can make a huge difference in yields remember the plant will only produce what she can hold, the more you train your plants the more they hold. Weighted fishing hooks can do wonders for weight. Slowly taking weigts off as bud develops.

tj Wise

tj Wise

maybe after four seasons of trial and error I will write up the info I am searching for. I want to keep the center of gravity low, maximize exposure to the sun, and strengthen the branches. I have about four months to use.

tj Wise

tj Wise

I am also wondering about partial shading in days where the temp soars over 90 degrees. Things like this are not addressed in the indoor tips, nor in the geurilla stuff. Pity.

tj Wise

tj Wise

and there must be a right answer for how often to top or fim, because zero is the wrong answer. I understand the best number depends on several factors, which is whyi am looking for advice.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
How many times should I top a plant I expect to get to 8 ft high? Do i worry about getting top heavy? Can I train lower branches to grow really wide? Should I tie the top of each plant to lean North? How does super cropping interact with all this?
and, I will use trellis netting. should I pull the branches to go as wide as possible?
Those are good questions.
maybe after four seasons of trial and error I will write up the info I am searching for.
There ya go! :)

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
and there must be a right answer for how often to top or fim, because zero is the wrong answer. I understand the best number depends on several factors, which is whyi am looking for advice.
Dont Fim
Go with your gut on the topping..each plant and each strain is different

Sometimes "Pinching" (supercroping) works better than topping

Top Bottom