Training grown and young plants to stay shorter and wider for taking cuttings

• Thread starter sliknuts89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sliknuts89

Ok farmers, I been wondering once a plant is older and getting to tall can it be trained & manipulated/ pruned to a desired direction or anyting like this, and if so what are the different ways? And I have certain techniques for youngens but there is room forimprovement. Any tips, and I am interested in the bonsai tecnique but don't have experience with anything but topping my plants. Looking for the perfect stock for clone sites and keeping even og's and sativa stocks as short and wide as possible! Thanks

JeenYuss

JeenYuss

The bonsai technique works great as you keep them nice and short and have plenty of branching to cut from. I have my mothers in 7"x7" square pots and can get about 10 nice cuts every 2-3 weeks. Still trying to learn the bonsai technique even better as im still new to it but I'm getting the same amount of cuts that I was from mothers twice as big

sedate

sedate

sliknuts said:
sativa stocks as short and wide as possible

Haha. Good luck with that.

When flowering, you could always vert light if you plan on doing a lot of sativa cuts - should help with all that stretch.

sliknuts said:
And I have certain techniques for youngens but there is room forimprovement

I usually start FIMing as soon as I have roots through the starter-plug. Probably snip the tips 10 times before they get 2' tall. A nice round bush is the result.

Lots of ways to do this though.

another_sellout

another_sellout

Look up the word "espalier" in Google. It'll explain the proper techniques and results of controlled pruning that have been used by grape and fruit tree growers for hundreds of years to maximize yield. Low stress training comes to mind if you'd prefer to just bend the plant instead of cut it up. Also, no matter how you trim or bend the plant, you'll need support. Be it bamboo stakes, trellis netting, or tomato cages, you'll want to keep the bud weight off of the stem. See, CO2 + H2O is carbohydrate (off gas O2) and that's the base building block of the plant. If the plant's weight is supported, it can focus that energy into producing buds instead of stem. The stem should only move energy, not consume it, dig? Now go get paid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom