Training via phototropism

• Thread starter tomatoesarecooltoo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

I had this funky idea of training a cannabis plant only with its tendency to turn towards light. Basically you would veg with only side lighting, causing the plant to grow sideways, then you would turn on the top lights for flower allowing the plant to turn back up, but keeping the side lighting on to illuminate the lower banches. What do you all think? Has anyone seen a grow diary where they tried this?

I personally feel like it will probably work, but won’t have many advantages compare to regular training, but it would be cool to see.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
That would be awesome. I think you’re on to something here. You should be the first to experiment!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

There are plenty of vertical grows that show the plants growing up like normal with side lighting only.

I know they have to keep moving the bulbs around or turn the plants for best results but mostly the leaves will reposition not the branches.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

There are plenty of vertical grows that show the plants growing up like normal with side lighting only.

I know they have to keep moving the bulbs around or turn the plants for best results but mostly the leaves will reposition not the branches.

Thats an interesting point maybe the phototropism in cannabis is not as extreme as I am imagining. Do those grows have the side-lighting on all sides? Maybe it could still work with the light only coming from 1 side?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thats an interesting point maybe the phototropism in cannabis is not as extreme as I am imagining. Do those grows have the side-lighting on all sides? Maybe it could still work with the light only coming from 1 side?

There is one grower who had cobs as side lighting and grew up a trellis across from them and the plants still climbed the trellis. But he did tie them so i dont know how much they extended toward the light but they still mostly grew up.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

There is one grower who had cobs as side lighting and grew up a trellis across from them and the plants still climbed the trellis. But he did tie them so i dont know how much they extended toward the light but they still mostly grew up.

Oh thats interesting. Do you have link you can share?

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Maybe the gravitropism just overpowers the phototropism in cannabis. I will do a cheap proof of concept experiment with extra seeds in cups and a weak led.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Oh thats interesting. Do you have link you can share?

Sorry its riu and it was ttystikk. He is banned from here years ago and there now too. He was not a great grower but if you search here and here you should find his threads.

I have been watching threads for years. I dont remember the names of them.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Sorry its riu and it was ttystikk. He is banned from here years ago and there now too. He was not a great grower but if you search here and here you should find his threads.

I have been watching threads for years. I dont remember the names of them.
Damn must be a career troll.. we don’t want him back either. Haha

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Quick update on the experiment. Those two bulbs were creating more heat than I wanted so I switched over to a little 45watt led. Seeds haven't popped yet. I can't find my seedling mat so it might take a while, but it has been pretty warm so idk.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Quick update on the experiment. Those two bulbs were creating more heat than I wanted so I switched over to a little 45watt led. Seeds haven't popped yet. I can't find my seedling mat so it might take a while, but it has been pretty warm so idk.

I take that back, they both popped today.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

One of the sprouts got eaten by a rolly polly. I guess we will have a small sample size lol.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

ok so the other plant got eaten by the rolly pollys in the soil too. Not surprised since the soil had been sitting outside for quite a while. I am going to swing back to this experiment when I have some clean soil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom