Trainwreck1

• Thread starter David.jenny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

David.jenny

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie but oldie. I crashed on the 1st run. ph problem!!!! I understand it. right now I'm in the same boat at 6 weeks. I got Canna Coco and ph is the same a 7. That said I've done a drench, ph will not change! even with 5.0ph solutions of cal-mag, root enzymes, tiny bit of flora grow. ordered A&B for Canna Coco.
When I transplanted yesterday, some roots were fleshy colored gave sensienymes, it stays 7ph? Why? Plants all look great just got to 13" + stalk is big, they were root bound in 1 gal. pots. some were damp @ bottom told to feed daily ? to much run off. Feminized plants White Widow and Og Kush 1 found Darth Vader Kush. help...!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The soil buffering abilities of the coco and the cal mag might be causing some problems. Cal-Mag tends to raise your Ph, so adding it probably won't bring your Ph down. I would suggest using a foliar spray/feeding of Calmag if you feel that you need it. The roots should be white and not brownish at all. Too much water or too much sitting water can drown the roots, which causes them to change colors. A picture would help to determine the overall health of the plant. Coco is different than the mix I use (Promix Bx) and tends to hold more water and I think you are supposed to let it dry out, which is different than growing in Promix.
I only feed once every 12-15 days, but I water daily if needed, about a gallon or 1.5 gallons per watering. If your roots are staying wet, not damp, then your medium is holding too much water. A few more details would e helpful, but it sounds mostly like a water problem. I'm sure some Coco gurus can provide more info.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

did you add lime? lime doesnt leach as quick as wood ash and both will give you a neutral 7. tip when adding lime is do it at small increments,it takes time as in a month before you see the difrence,give a little and wait a month check ph and do what you need to to get perfect ph looking for,answer to your question about the ph didnt move,well like this,when you have a real high ph and you just cant get it to move,again time tells,but when you run a high ph ,more times than not it because of drainage,like my corn ground bed,i was running 8.5 ph on the bed,so why so high,research i found is due to lack of drainage causing salt buildup,the only way to repair was to dig out bed and put drain tile in,once i did that i waited a month and ph was then just above 7,so lefty it alone,came out 2 weeks later was 6.8 month later 6.8,so that were it stays,and doing great since,just something to check,hope it helps

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

The soil buffering abilities of the coco and the cal mag might be causing some problems. Cal-Mag tends to raise your Ph, so adding it probably won't bring your Ph down. I would suggest using a foliar spray/feeding of Calmag if you feel that you need it. The roots should be white and not brownish at all. Too much water or too much sitting water can drown the roots, which causes them to change colors. A picture would help to determine the overall health of the plant. Coco is different than the mix I use (Promix Bx) and tends to hold more water and I think you are supposed to let it dry out, which is different than growing in Promix.
I only feed once every 12-15 days, but I water daily if needed, about a gallon or 1.5 gallons per watering. If your roots are staying wet, not damp, then your medium is holding too much water. A few more details would e helpful, but it sounds mostly like a water problem. I'm sure some Coco gurus can provide more info.
Im not a coco expert myself but i,v been told by very competent coco growers that your not supposed to let coco dry out.i did on my first coco run and it was a disaster.even wen trying to get plants to take root into coco after uppotting and letting em dry it was causing problems.once I started feeding at least once a day I started to see them real pick up and root through better too.someone else told me you are supposed to let the coco dry out after potting plants up but I can only tell of my experience and feeding or at least watering at least once a day was were I got good results.my ph was far lower though.between 5.8 and 6.0.
If your ph is too high if possible make up as much water ph,d to 5.8 as u can and if possible either put each plant in a bath or sink and flush as much ph d water through as you can, catching some run off each time and checking the ph of what comes out.it may to ages to get what's coming out to get close to what you want but keep at it and once the ph is right flush through a couple of feeds at the right oh to replace the nutrient free water in the medium.thats what I do when the ph of my medium is out but it's only going to work if it's a small number of plants.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Im not a coco expert myself but i,v been told by very competent coco growers that your not supposed to let coco dry out.i did on my first coco run and it was a disaster.even wen trying to get plants to take root into coco after uppotting and letting em dry it was causing problems.once I started feeding at least once a day I started to see them real pick up and root through better too.someone else told me you are supposed to let the coco dry out after potting plants up but I can only tell of my experience and feeding or at least watering at least once a day was were I got good results.my ph was far lower though.between 5.8 and 6.0.
If your ph is too high if possible make up as much water ph,d to 5.8 as u can and if possible either put each plant in a bath or sink and flush as much ph d water through as you can, catching some run off each time and checking the ph of what comes out.it may to ages to get what's coming out to get close to what you want but keep at it and once the ph is right flush through a couple of feeds at the right oh to replace the nutrient free water in the medium.thats what I do when the ph of my medium is out but it's only going to work if it's a small number of plants.
same here,i ran 5.8 and feed twice a day after about 4 weeks in flower,one plant got three times a day,thats why i dont grow in it anymore too much damn work haaha,i ran 3 runs with it and wont ever again,even peat moss was a pain in the ass for me,even tried straight per-lite,there some damn work if you dont have a flood table

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
same here,i ran 5.8 and feed twice a day after about 4 weeks in flower,one plant got three times a day,thats why i dont grow in it anymore too much damn work haaha,i ran 3 runs with it and wont ever again,even peat moss was a pain in the ass for me,even tried straight per-lite,there some damn work if you dont have a flood table
I have tried a few mediums, and Promix was always the easiest and least amount of work to deal with. Coco gets funky and I just don't like working with it, and the drainage is difficult. Once set up, a watering every day or other day with 1 to 1.5 gallons in a 5 or 6 gallon bucket, and just wait for the days to roll by. Like sex in the shower...no muss, no fuss!

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I have tried a few mediums, and Promix was always the easiest and least amount of work to deal with. Coco gets funky and I just don't like working with it, and the drainage is difficult. Once set up, a watering every day or other day with 1 to 1.5 gallons in a 5 or 6 gallon bucket, and just wait for the days to roll by. Like sex in the shower...no muss, no fuss!
i ran pro-mix twice,used the blue planet line and had pure hell,then used it with ocean forest next couple runs,figure if i had to feed that much why not amend it also and do away with a mess of feeding,worked real good,i tell ya i dont know what spragum is putting in there peat,but damn stuff take for ever to suck from the bottom,l,ast 3 bails ive bought have been that way,im not wild about lime and pro-mix has it,so i just use the crap out of peat and amend it myself,i just started another barrel hydro they say hyahahah,33 gal can ,1 seed ,no pump ,no air and outside,my last one got about 2 ft tall and damped off from to much tube in the water,so i went to a 3in cup with just a 1/4 into the water,by the time it gets going the roots will be about foot long and water level should be about a inch under the cup,filled it with vermiculite and peat moss,after 4 hrs it still hadnt watered all the way up the medium,so gave it a bit to wet seed in from top,my luck ,the other plant was and had cucumber about 2 in long when i noticed the problem of damping off the stem,but hell man i try all kind stuff and just love the plants,dont even care for the flowers or fruit,i like my yard full of green hahahahh mama wants the fruit for canning haahaha,got a good harvest this year,about 20 cases of veggies so far,i dont think the corn will make it to canning,damn women already slobbering for it and it just started to tassel lmao

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
For a few years I used just the Promix alone and had very good results, but when I added the composted manure, things really took off. Promix doesn't have much in it, nutrition wise, so I think I was missing some micronutrients as well as Iron. The Peter's 20-20-20 took care of the regular nutrients, but the manure made a big difference. After hitting 60, I didn't really feel that I had a need to have a big or complicated grow... more like something along the lines of an old Italian guy growing his tomatoes and making terrible homemade wine. :)
It has worked well and consistently for the years that I've used it, although I'm sure it could be improved somewhat with some more additions. It's nice to have everything dialed in, though. I have a Ph meter and a TDS meter that have cobwebs longer than my beard, from disuse. I'm not obsessed with the best of the best... I'm more than happy to be in the upper 5% instead of #1. Christ!! I sound like I should be playing a Banjo in the mountains of remote North Carolina! I enjoy the shit out of growing, but anymore, it is more of a Zen type of thing than it is having the stash, and I never really sold other than giving some away free to friends. Please overlook rambling post with no real direction... stomach started to feel queasy and I had to take care of it with this great herbal medicine. Nothing works nearly as well.
It's Summertime, and the living's easy!!

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

For a few years I used just the Promix alone and had very good results, but when I added the composted manure, things really took off. Promix doesn't have much in it, nutrition wise, so I think I was missing some micronutrients as well as Iron. The Peter's 20-20-20 took care of the regular nutrients, but the manure made a big difference. After hitting 60, I didn't really feel that I had a need to have a big or complicated grow... more like something along the lines of an old Italian guy growing his tomatoes and making terrible homemade wine. :)
It has worked well and consistently for the years that I've used it, although I'm sure it could be improved somewhat with some more additions. It's nice to have everything dialed in, though. I have a Ph meter and a TDS meter that have cobwebs longer than my beard, from disuse. I'm not obsessed with the best of the best... I'm more than happy to be in the upper 5% instead of #1. Christ!! I sound like I should be playing a Banjo in the mountains of remote North Carolina! I enjoy the shit out of growing, but anymore, it is more of a Zen type of thing than it is having the stash, and I never really sold other than giving some away free to friends. Please overlook rambling post with no real direction... stomach started to feel queasy and I had to take care of it with this great herbal medicine. Nothing works nearly as well.
It's Summertime, and the living's easy!!
hahahah,i told my oldest boy it about time for someone else to step to the plate with the veggie garden,crap cant work out there until about 5 in the evening and it takes me to about 10 in the morning just to get moving hahahah i feel ya bro im 59 and feel 99 lmao

Top Bottom