Transferring to a larger super soil pot during flower?

• Thread starter outwest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Hello,

I currently have 2 kushes that have been flowering for almost 3 weeks. Their medium is a mix of roots organic soil and growstones in a 60:40 ratio. They were fed teas and a mild organic veg formula. For flowering I top fed a half gallon of subcool's super soil. The plants are doing amazing, but I'm worried they will run out of supersoil before they are done. I'd like to move them to 7 gallon pots. I'd follow the same formula for my other plants in 7g pots. 2.5 gallons of super soil, then put the plant in then fill and cover the root ball with fresh unamended soil. I'll give them a healthy dose of microbe tea upon transplant. Sound good? Anything I'm missing? Gracias.

outwest

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Hmm sounds risky... How long have they been in these pots? Your worried about running out of root space? Or running out of food in the super soil?

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Hmm sounds risky... How long have they been in these pots? Your worried about running out of root space? Or running out of food in the super soil?

What up WWF?! Thanks for the response. I'm worried about food in the super soil. Or the soil running out of it's super if you will. I've also considered just mixing in a tblsp of super soil per gallon for feeding. What do you think?

outwest

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Id like to hep Bro. you know Im a newb.
But. I would be afraid to mess with em...

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Id like to hep Bro. you know Im a newb.
But. I would be afraid to mess with em...

I think to not mess with them and water in a little super soil at a time might be the best way to go.

Enough with the newb shit, bro! :cool:

outwest

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Yeah everyday they are stressed from the move they will not be making bud... So in that case I would just try to feed them like regular soil when it's no longer super! And you are already at d21 so if the soil can keep it going for another week or so you only have to worry about 3 weeks of feedings if they are true kushes 4 weeks for OGs. Toss some guano in your tea and you should be money. Good luck friendo!!

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Yeah everyday they are stressed from the move they will not be making bud... So in that case I would just try to feed them like regular soil when it's no longer super! And you are already at d21 so if the soil can keep it going for another week or so you only have to worry about 3 weeks of feedings if they are true kushes 4 weeks for OGs. Toss some guano in your tea and you should be money. Good luck friendo!!

They are definitely lanky danky low yielding kushes. OG & Woody.

outwest

monkeymun

monkeymun

I would hesitate about transplanting them now too. The last thing you want it to put your girls into shock while they're flowering.

K

kolah

I have cut the bottom of 5 gallon buckets out with my jigsaw and then placed them in the ground without getting them shocky. I saved the cut out bottoms and plan to make a rim on them so i can re-use them. The first one is a bit tricky but it's relatively easy going.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

I have cut the bottom of 5 gallon buckets out with my jigsaw and then placed them in the ground without getting them shocky. I saved the cut out bottoms and plan to make a rim on them so i can re-use them. The first one is a bit tricky but it's relatively easy going.
I have done something similar when worrying about root space... Drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of the rootbound pot. Nest the root bound pot in the same size pot that has a couple extra gallons of medium. The roots blast thru the drainage holes and into the fresh soil.

Chobble

Chobble

Hello,

I currently have 2 kushes that have been flowering for almost 3 weeks. Their medium is a mix of roots organic soil and growstones in a 60:40 ratio. They were fed teas and a mild organic veg formula. For flowering I top fed a half gallon of subcool's super soil. The plants are doing amazing, but I'm worried they will run out of supersoil before they are done. I'd like to move them to 7 gallon pots. I'd follow the same formula for my other plants in 7g pots. 2.5 gallons of super soil, then put the plant in then fill and cover the root ball with fresh unamended soil. I'll give them a healthy dose of microbe tea upon transplant. Sound good? Anything I'm missing? Gracias.

outwest

I dont' see how this couldn't hurt, I don't like transplanting during flowering and that's my only opposition to this. If you want I would just top feed those bad boys again and let them run there course.

I would think you may be able to put more super soil in fyi, you do have a pretty mature plant.

Chobble

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I dont' see how this couldn't hurt, I don't like transplanting during flowering and that's my only opposition to this. If you want I would just top feed those bad boys again and let them run there course.

I would think you may be able to put more super soil in fyi, you do have a pretty mature plant.

Chobble

I forgot to mention that I don't have any room left in the pot for more super soil.

outwest

waayne

waayne

outwest I would probably leave her in that pot and feed her a little to finish her out...
I'd use ACT or a little Age Old myself.....

I have transplanted flowering plants as late as 14 days into flower with no problems...but it is risky.........
Here's a Fire Alien Kush that was transplanted at 14 days into flower
IMG 4324

This plant yielded over 12 oz's
As you can see the late transplant didn't slow her down a bit.......

Ideally the time to transplant is a week or so before they are put into flower,though as you can see late transplants can do very well,but you must be extra careful not to damage the root system or cause any stress..........

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
i would give this a try outwest..but the ? is. what is your containers made of?
btw that is a great idea...and if i run into this problem with my soil mix, i will b tryn that.
and greenpunk said something about age old..that shit is amazing at times..made me look like i realy knew how to grow when i didnt lol..a few years ago

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Thanks, fellas. Tough choice. They are in fabric pots. I've found that if I give a strong dose of bennies with transplant, shock is a non-issue. Either way, I'm pretty sure I'll just leave them.

On my last run I used some high P guano and high K kelp during flower for a bulk boost. Did not burn the plants. May try that again.

outwest

Landfishd

Landfishd

Maybe instead of top feeding with everything in the super soil just take the super part and mix with a little compost or ewc then use that as a top dress. You could probably leave the compost out too, but I think it would only be beneficial.

Top Bottom