Transplant seedling with the solo cup together into raised bed?

• Thread starter BosBuds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BosBuds

BosBuds

Good day fellow farmers,

So, I set up a living supersoil raised bed in a 2x4 tent, and am about to grow some autoflowers that just popped today (after soaking in H2O with diluted wood vinegar, then using paper towels with same wood vinegar diluted solution; they popped in just 1-2 days).

Today or tomorrow, I plan to plant the cracked seeds into red solo cups, and then ultimately into the medium once they're grown into healthy seedlings (first leaves to the cup's rim).

The actual question I have is this: I've seen posts where people actually plant the solo cup right into the bed, without removing it at all (maybe just cutting off the bottom entirely), and wonder if this is a known technique (e.g. to ensure root grows downward, to prevent cover crop competition etc?), and whether anyone has tried it and/or can offer advice and guidance either way?

Madbud

Madbud

First thing, use only a half cup of soil in case the seedlings stretch, you can always top dress with more soil as support. Second, weigh or at least get a feel for how heavy a cup of soil is in your hand. Thats your base weight for watering. Last, no problem cutting off the bottom of a solo cup for transplant, you can pull it off anytime if you want.

BosBuds

BosBuds

First thing, use only a half cup of soil in case the seedlings stretch, you can always top dress with more soil as support. Second, weigh or at least get a feel for how heavy a cup of soil is in your hand. Thats your base weight for watering. Last, no problem cutting off the bottom of a solo cup for transplant, you can pull it off anytime if you want.

Thank you for the helpful tips! A quick look at your page reveals that you have used the technique of planting seedling cups directly into final pots with good results. I'll be following you for other tips and to see your own progress. Happy growing!

RR1

RR1

Don't know why you would worry about that. When it's getting on the dry side, gently squeeze the cup a little, and the whole rootball should slide right out. Gently plant the plant, firm down the soil around it, then gently water in. Always use something like superthrive to reduce the chance of transplant shock. Don't worry about roots growing down, they do it all by themselves. Using a growbed is a great way to grow. The plants develop a synergy between themselves. Lookup a gentleman named Soma, he's an old expat hippie who came up with the idea of layering soil, rooting felt, and rabbit wire over a base of hydroton. Using 1/2 in pipe as a vent under the plants. Almost can't overwater, roots get good oxygen, plants grow like crazy. Look it up just for ideas. I made mine with wheels.
Good luck,
RR1

Top Bottom