Transplant shock over or under watering?

• Thread starter tggrowz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tggrowz

tggrowz

Transplanted my lady outside in the ground on Saturday and watered well when I did. Was slightly droopy when I transplanted as I let the pot dry out before hand but it’s been 4 days now and she still hasn’t perked up.
dug a hole and filled with triple mix perlite and rice hulls added 444 organic and treated rootball with mycos.
The weather has been quite hot and sunny and when I stick a finger in the soil it isn’t quite wet but not entirely dry either other than the top layer.
The leaf stems are curled and quite firm similar to over watering so I haven’t watered yet.
is this transplant shock or did I water a bit too much when transplanting? How long should I wait to perk up before watering again?
Weather is going to continue to be hot and sunny into the weekend and I’m worried about not watering but also don’t want to water too much.

transplant day
Transplant shock over or under watering

today
Transplant shock over or under watering 2

Chem77

Chem77

I always would put the plant (in pot) outside in the shade for couple days. Especially if it’s hot and intense sunshine, best is overcast. It’s called hardening the plant. Don’t over water it and it will come around.

tggrowz

tggrowz

This ^^^

Plants started indoor are not hardened off to the effects of UV. Your plants will be pissy for a week or so then bounce back... if you can shade them a little it will ease the stress a bit until they harden off
I always would put the plant (in pot) outside in the shade for couple days. Especially if it’s hot and intense sunshine, best is overcast. It’s called hardening the plant. Don’t over water it and it will come around.
It’s been outside for weeks it’s either the transplant or the watering or the heat

tggrowz

tggrowz

Looks stressed by light and heat? You in a really dry climate?
It’s possible , I’m in southern Ontario it’s been abnormally hot this week pushing up into the 30s through the weekend humidity is sitting at 40 currently but I’ll keep an eye on it to see how it changes through out the day. Is it safe to say this isn’t overwatering? I’m scared to not water this week as the weathers been so hot and sunny but the looks of the plant have been keeping me from watering other than misting the leaves to keep it cool once a day. It’s only been 4 days since water but if it doesn’t perk up I’m gonna have to water before the weeks over regardless.

tggrowz

tggrowz

The plants still growin albeit slowly and is still tracking the sun through the sky I’m concerned about the droop though it only seems to affect the larger fan leaves.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

wouldn't heat cause praying in leaves?
It can when leaves get hot you see edges curl and light stress and heat (if raising the leaf temps to high) can cause them to taco to reduce light capture.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It’s possible , I’m in southern Ontario it’s been abnormally hot this week pushing up into the 30s through the weekend humidity is sitting at 40 currently but I’ll keep an eye on it to see how it changes through out the day. Is it safe to say this isn’t overwatering? I’m scared to not water this week as the weathers been so hot and sunny but the looks of the plant have been keeping me from watering other than misting the leaves to keep it cool once a day. It’s only been 4 days since water but if it doesn’t perk up I’m gonna have to water before the weeks over regardless.
So I'm curious what the soil is like? Have you amended it? Lots of clay? I mean it does have some swelling in the leaves and it could just be from heat, light or water stress (meaning not able to pull enough water fast enough so the stomata close to preserve water which can cause leaf temps to rise and and in turn heat/light stress so then the plant tries to reduce light capture by folding the leaves. The droop is from the stomata closing which reduces flow of water through the plant and it loses some rigidity in the stems and the heavy leaves cause it to droop. That looks like classic overwatering also and it could be but there are other reasons for low 02 in the rootzone (which is what over watering causes) like a very dense soil that doesn't breathe well.

tggrowz

tggrowz

So I'm curious what the soil is like? Have you amended it? Lots of clay? I mean it does have some swelling in the leaves and it could just be from heat, light or water stress (meaning not able to pull enough water fast enough so the stomata close to preserve water which can cause leaf temps to rise and and in turn heat/light stress so then the plant tries to reduce light capture by folding the leaves. The droop is from the stomata closing which reduces flow of water through the plant and it loses some rigidity in the stems and the heavy leaves cause it to droop. That looks like classic overwatering also and it could be but there are other reasons for low 02 in the rootzone (which is what over watering causes) like a very dense soil that doesn't breathe well.
The surrounding soil has a lot of clay but I dug a nice hole and filled it with a loam compost mix and some 444 organic dry amendments I also added rice hulls and perlite in good amounts. I’m wondering if I’m getting some sitting water in the bottom of the hole but I doubt the roots are anywhere near that yet. I may try a light watering in a day or two if things don’t improve to see how the plant reacts.

Perception

Perception

It’ll perk back up. If you were really concerned, you could put some shade cloth over it for a week to lessen the intensity of sunlight. A few tips for next year:

- if the plant is showing stress before you transplant, it will certainly show stress during/after transplant: try to make sure they are as healthy as possible before transplant (up-pot frequently, feed if needed, etc)
- “harden” the plants off before transplanting outside for at least a few days. Gradually giving them more sun (Google hardening). I always put foil over the pot when sitting in sun so that it doesn’t cook the roots.
- transplant at end of day! Not morning. The plant needs time to establish itself without being blasted by bright sun. Ideally, transplant before a couple cloudy days. You can also try shade cloth suspended over plants for a few days.

Sounds like you did the soil amending well. Just keep these tips in mind next year and the plant(s) will have less transplant shock.

Ghosttrainx

Ghosttrainx

Never let the coco dry out big mistake as they will suck the salts out of it and pot ends up to salty for them if it does dry out just give water or u will fry them more 👻🚂🎱🤜🤛

Ghosttrainx

Ghosttrainx

And that's another sign when they stop drinking there is to much salt in pot and they won't take it up so leaf curls up to stop in taking it in 👻🚂

tggrowz

tggrowz

I watered and she has perked up now may have just been a little thirsty or just broke out of her funk. Thanks guys for the input.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
she just got put in the sun. leave her, she will be fine. near that pond, you may not have to water much or even at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom