Transplanted from soil to hydroponic

• Thread starter Grow4life
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Grow4life

Grow4life

So this is my first time tryimg hydroponics / aeroponics. I had some seeds from last grow that I put in my tent. They been at 12/12 almost from the beginning.

The first photo is the first one showing female preflowers, so I transplanted it from soil to hydro. I ripped off most of the roots pulling it up from the soil and washed it. Seemed like that was a good idea. It grew new healthy roots within a few days. Some other plants got root rot cos I plased the roots in on hole of the netpot. Probably sufficating the roots. So I pulled them out and ripped off all the roots and the plants recovered nicely.
The second picture I took all the females left and placed it into one pot. Starting to get some roots.

I was shocked that it was so easy to transplant. Deffently reconmended.

The plant in the first picture has been in hydro for 10 days and doubled in size. 20 cm in 10 days

The second picture has been in hydro 5 days and roots are showing. All of these had lower leaves falling off. The first one didn't have any leaves falling off.

The one in the first picture had ppm at 1500 and it's now at 1150. ph 5.8-6.1.it looks a bit too dark green. I was thinking it has too much nitrogen, but the superfast growth makes me shrug my shoulders. It was below the net 10 days ago and supertiny sideshotes.
I was thinking to adjust the ph down to 6.8 tomorro. Is it ok to add just a bit more P instead of ph down? (I previously gave it feeding for preflower with a tiny ekstra amount of P cos it just started flowering)

I also added cal-mag and silica powder to the water.

Will be exciting to see how it goes. I have some in soil also and they are like statues compared to hydroplants, so I think it will be the last time I grow in soil!

Transplanted from soil to hydroponic 2
Transplanted from soil to hydroponic 4
Transplanted from soil to hydroponic
Transplanted from soil to hydroponic 3

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I would suggest about 600-800ppm. Keep ph between 5.8 and 6.1 and I wouldn't change to much if they are doing well. I would also suggest using phosphoric acid based ph down and it's more stable.

What nutrients are you using?
Temps both water and air? humidity?

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

I second what @Aqua Man said - 700PPM seems to be a good spot for me so far. I would be very cautious watching for over-feeding signs at 1500. Nice to see your plants taking to the change!

Grow4life

Grow4life

I would suggest about 600-800ppm. Keep ph between 5.8 and 6.1 and I wouldn't change to much if they are doing well. I would also suggest using phosphoric acid based ph down and it's more stable.

What nutrients are you using?
Temps both water and air? humidity?

Thanks for reply! I allready have phosphoric acid based ph down :)
Ok I won't feed them any extra

General hydroponivs 3 part.
Water around 20 °C
Temperature 17-26 °C

I second what @Aqua Man said - 700PPM seems to be a good spot for me so far. I would be very cautious watching for over-feeding signs at 1500. Nice to see your plants taking to the change!

ThanksI will be carefull with next feedings

revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
Looking good! There was no need to torture them though lmao you got VERY lucky that your man handling didn't cause some serious transplant shock.

Cheers!

Grow4life

Grow4life

Looking good! There was no need to torture them though lmao you got VERY lucky that your man handling didn't cause some serious transplant shock.

Cheers!

Haha some tough love. I was thinking it was better with new fresh roots to prevent root-rot cos I didn't know how those dirtroots would respond to hydro. The shock was minimal. Some leaves fell off some plants but didn't seem to slow it's growth

revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
Haha some tough love. I was thinking it was better with new fresh roots to prevent root-rot cos I didn't know how those dirtroots would respond to hydro. The shock was minimal. Some leaves fell off some plants but didn't seem to slow it's growth

For sure bro!!! They look fantastic, keep it up!!!

Pulls up a bean bag chair....

Grow4life

Grow4life

So now I have
- Removed lightleaks with black tape arount the nettipots
- Changed the sollution of the big plant cos it's too dark green and ppm is not going down. Now ppm is 800.
- ph is between 6.0-6.2 in the 4 reservoars. I will ajust it down to 5.8 tomorrow.
- I also did something stupid maybe. Atleast it was a great deal of mess. 4 plants in soil have not been looking so well and growth been slow, so I tought fuck it! I will put them in hydro. They are allready weeks into flower and there was soo much roots. I didn't rip them off this time. Just washed them. And I made some costum hydro from clothes hangers that I cut in half and pushed through the roots to make some stay over water. I put nutes in and ductaped everything togheter. Ph 5.5. It will probably rise to 6 soon. So much dirt in that mix lol. I use 4 airstones in that one bucket. It will be too much hussle changing water or anything so I eill leave it like that untill harvest. It might be stupid or it might pay off who knows 😂

IMG 20200430 170727
IMG 20200430 170644
IMG 20200430 110751
IMG 20200430 111455
IMG 20200430 170940

Grow4life

Grow4life

I ran into some problems..
I did add some drops ph down in 1 litre of water and just poured it into the bucket yeasterday. Ph was 3 of that water. Not sure that will harm the plant or not.
Ph is 5.7 and ppm is 1040. Decreased from 1050 yesterday.
I did raise the temperature cos it's been a bit cold at night. Probably still below 20 °C at night.
Should I change the solution or just wait and see? Or do I need to add something?
I have 6 plants in this bucket. 2 are affected.
IMG 20200502 093538

Grow4life

Grow4life

So I just learned I am running DWC not aeroponics..
Anyway here is a small update. The large plant strech a lot while the other ones become more bushy. I topped one of the plants and tied it down a bit cos it got taller than it's sisters.

The plants are either jack herer or some cross between jack herrer and Northern light/blueberies/mango smelling auto. It could also be pollen from the mango smelling auto crossed with any of the above cos it became a hermie. Basicly I have no idea what will come from theese :p

IMG 20200506 084933
IMG 20200506 084817

Mathimus

Mathimus

Can I add this or is it a bad idea in hydro?
View attachment 968022

In my experience the solids based mychorize does not fare well in hydroponics. Even if it says it's rated for hydro, I stay away from it. It tends to make frothy muck water and will dirty up the reservoir. Orca is a tried and true liquid hydro root inoculate. It is a little pricey, but at 0.5 ml per gallon, it works. Although I dose mine at about 2 ml per 3 gallon of water. It pairs well with general hydroponics. The good thing about GH is it is receptive of additives outside the scope of its brand, whereas many other hydro nute lines are not.

Your roots look happy so you are doing something right. Many vendors are misleading in rating things for hydroponics that carry too many organic properties. Organic is for soil. Especially in dwc, where large volumes of water are being utilized, you want to keep the water as homogenous, aerated and synthetic as possible.

In my early days, I added just a little of an organic biological inoculate along with orca. The two ended up canceling each other out and I ended up with pythium. Once pythium sets in, especially with large root balls submerged in crazy amounts of water, it is easily the top 5 most disgusting foul smelling things you could encounter in a lifetime. The roots will have to be cut off and you will be scooping out alien like growth blobs from the surface of your water. This is just the stuff that does not attach itself to the walls and inside of your dwc plumbing. I spent 8 hours flushing and cleaning repeatedly. In short, I would stick to high concentrate liquid mychorize. I've tried many and Orca wins for me.

Grow4life

Grow4life

In my experience the solids based mychorize does not fare well in hydroponics. Even if it says it's rated for hydro, I stay away from it. It tends to make frothy muck water and will dirty up the reservoir. Orca is a tried and true liquid hydro root inoculate. It is a little pricey, but at 0.5 ml per gallon, it works. Although I dose mine at about 2 ml per 3 gallon of water. It pairs well with general hydroponics. The good thing about GH is it is receptive of additives outside the scope of its brand, whereas many other hydro nute lines are not.

Your roots look happy so you are doing something right. Many vendors are misleading in rating things for hydroponics that carry too many organic properties. Organic is for soil. Especially in dwc, where large volumes of water are being utilized, you want to keep the water as homogenous, aerated and synthetic as possible.

In my early days, I added just a little of an organic biological inoculate along with orca. The two ended up canceling each other out and I ended up with pythium. Once pythium sets in, especially with large root balls submerged in crazy amounts of water, it is easily the top 5 most disgusting foul smelling things you could encounter in a lifetime. The roots will have to be cut off and you will be scooping out alien like growth blobs from the surface of your water. This is just the stuff that does not attach itself to the walls and inside of your dwc plumbing. I spent 8 hours flushing and cleaning repeatedly. In short, I would stick to high concentrate liquid mychorize. I've tried many and Orca wins for me.

Thanks for an incredable good answer! :) so I will not use organic stuff. Sounds like more complecations than benefits. I read other people are using enzymes, so I bought some enzyme juice. Not sure if it's needed though. I also add cal-mag and silica. Easy to want to put more stuff or more nutrients, but I realise over and over again that less is most often more

Mathimus

Mathimus

Thanks for an incredable good answer! :) so I will not use organic stuff. Sounds like more complecations than benefits. I read other people are using enzymes, so I bought some enzyme juice. Not sure if it's needed though. I also add cal-mag and silica. Easy to want to put more stuff or more nutrients, but I realise over and over again that less is most often more

Less is more is exactly right. Aquaman is right about 6 or 700 ppm average in veg. In all my years I have never understood the insane recommended dosage of certain nute lines. When first starting out, especially in hydro, it's easy to fall into the expensive snake oil mess. Many people hate on GH because they were bought out by the evil capitalist miracle gro affiliate. But their formula has not changed, it is cheap and provides consistent good results. Orca is the most expensive product I use. I've never used any enzymes or amino additives because most of the GH products have trace elements of kelp derivatives. If so, I use them in very small amounts. Nothing is anywhere close to recommended dosage.

Many people write off an entire nute line because they added something on a micro level that was already abundant and canceled out the uptake of nutrients on a macro level. If you're getting good results and your ph is consistent, any more is curiosity concerning outrageous claims of marketing. While some nutrient additives may be close to their marketing hype, it is better to test it in a 5 gallon bucket independent of your main grow.

Grow4life

Grow4life

Less is more is exactly right. Aquaman is right about 6 or 700 ppm average in veg. In all my years I have never understood the insane recommended dosage of certain nute lines. When first starting out, especially in hydro, it's easy to fall into the expensive snake oil mess. Many people hate on GH because they were bought out by the evil capitalist miracle gro affiliate. But their formula has not changed, it is cheap and provides consistent good results. Orca is the most expensive product I use. I've never used any enzymes or amino additives because most of the GH products have trace elements of kelp derivatives. If so, I use them in very small amounts. Nothing is anywhere close to recommended dosage.

Many people write off an entire nute line because they added something on a micro level that was already abundant and canceled out the uptake of nutrients on a macro level. If you're getting good results and your ph is consistent, any more is curiosity concerning outrageous claims of marketing. While some nutrient additives may be close to their marketing hype, it is better to test it in a 5 gallon bucket independent of your main grow.

I think you are absolotely right. I lowered my ppm to about 850-950.Not seing any slowdown in growth. Since it's my first time I probably be better off playing it safe. I feel atleast I should be very carefull with N

Grow4life

Grow4life

A small update. The girls where getting bushy so I did some difoiliation so the light could reach through and remove lower parts that didn't recieve light. I also topped the ones that where growing a bit tall including the big one. On the big one I only removed a few leaves cos it's not that bushy. PPM is about 600 and ph around

Before trim
IMG 20200519 092151

IMG 20200519 092143

After
IMG 20200520 013543
IMG 20200520 013554

Big one
IMG 20200520 013603

Cheers!

Top Bottom