Transplanting clones outdoors from 24/0 to 14/10

• Thread starter Strawberry420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Strawberry420

Strawberry420

So I live in socal and I'm getting ice cream clones (teenagers) that are being run under t5s 24 hours a day. From my knowledge you want to put put clones outside in June where natural light is 14/10. If I get the clones tommorow and drop them from 24/0 to 20/4 for a week and then the following week drop them down to 18/6 and after that just shave an hour off my lighting every week till mid June will I cause my clones to flower early?

dire wolf

dire wolf

🤔
Im so tired , i lost ya , but i"ll be fresh in the morning with an answer ....
But i dont think you need to shave ....
But if you do , they might flower at 14 / 10 ..... its a weird light schedeule ...

Last edited:
Strawberry420

Strawberry420

By shave I mean take an hour off how long I'm vegetating them with my t5 grow light. I'm trying to acclimate clones that are vegging for 24 hours a day to veg at 14 hours a day by June so they sync up with the outdoor natural light cycle in June in southern California which is 14 hours of light and 10 hours of darkness. I'm trying to avoid having my clones accidentally flower early by changing thier light schedule too quickly, but at the same time have them outside by June 14th.

Buffalochip

Buffalochip

I’m wondering the same thing. If the far red light at sunrise and sunset increase daylight hours between the far right light say, gaining a few minutes a day instead of losing it, would this trigger flowering?
I have my cones on 24/7 right now. Anything under 14/10 I think will probably trigger flowering unless you use artificial far red light later at night to extend veg period?
What do most folks do?

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Heres what Id do, considering its 4 years after this thread started, and its late Feb, and not Apr 30.

Depends on how big you want them, when set out. Heres what Id do for a pretty big plant. Depending on strain/genetics of course.

I usually sex plants in 32oz Uline Deli containers, and then veg, in 7 gallon Fabric containers. I use Fabric, so I can cut them off, next up-pot.

I aaso dont spare light. They get blasted outside from day one. I see no reason, to use lower light levels, when outside, they get full sun, from the start.
It is also Vital that they have a great deal of fresh air exchange, or they wont be able to use igher light levels. I would also keep a slight breeze on them, so they are all, slightly moving. Ive never had to use supports on my plants, in 47 year on indoor growing, because Ive always used a fan, and strong light.

When they first came out with HID for growing, 1000w HID, is all they had, and what was recommended, in a 4 x 4 area.
Also consider, the first bulb, came from the Navy Nuclear Sub program, where they grew veggies in their subs. So they too, were starting seeds, under 1000w HID. And of course Ive also started seeds under Fluroescent ect. But the healthiest plants Ive ever started, were all under very strong light.
I also dont grow in a tent.

I either use a 1000w Hortilux Blue 5500k-HID, in a 4 x 4 area. Either a 1000w Hortilux Blue, or a 1000w Hortilux HPS. At 24 inches, and 78f-86f. Box fan, pointed between canopy, and bulb. Start on low, and slowlly increase as they get bigger. Fan also makes water evaporate faster.

I myself would veg the crap out of them, 24/0, until 1st of April.
April 1st, I would cut them back to 18/6, for 2 weeks. Then Id cut them back to 14.5-9.5, and put them out, Mid May. This would give them a month to adjust, and see if they are going to start flowering.

Ive also put them out at 18/6, but have also had more early flowering/reveg doing this. It is Strain Dependent.

I would also BEND, them over, and train all secondary branches, to grow vertically. Dont mess with growing tip. May not be able to bend, if the plant is stiff.

Dont let them get rootbound.

Im in Ky, and I put mine out in Mid April-Mid -May. Though last threatening day of killing frost, is May 15th.

Buffalochip

Buffalochip

Thanks for the reply. I’ve been growing indooors so I wasn’t sure about this but you made sense so I’ll give it a try….thanks!
Not sure how old the thread is or time of year has to do with my original question. It’s just a question, but thanks.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Not sure how old the thread is or time of year has to do with my original question.
Necroposting, as it's sometimes called, is usually discouraged. The general preference is to start a new thread. I'm not sure I can explain why, but in my experience, it's common forum etiquette.

N

Natep

I would try and transplant as close to summer solstice as possible. I think anything to early or late will want to flip.

Buffalochip

Buffalochip

Necroposting, as it's sometimes called, is usually discouraged. The general preference is to start a new thread. I'm not sure I can explain why, but in my experience, it's common forum etiquette.
Then maybe the threads should be deleted after a certain length of time? It seems this would be more in line with etiquette…..

Latest posts

Top Bottom