Transplanting from Coco to soil outside?

• Thread starter Rootbound
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I have some little ones growing in coco inside and was wanting to transplant to the outside in soil when the weather warms. What problems might I run across? ROOT

DonJuanMatus

DonJuanMatus

will it be close by? the only thing i can think of is the coco will dry out very fast and if you dont keep it watered well enough until its established in the soil it could die...i would bury the rootball around 4 inches under the soil line and wet the soil well...you can also add mulch on top to prevent it from drying out quicker

hubcap

hubcap

^^good advice^^

also....

transplant them into healthy, nourishing soil and most problems will be minimized.

one thing that might occur....sine coco is more fibre than soil.....its a bit "looser" if you will than soil, so tou either want to make certain soil is snug around the plant and/or have support stick ready until the roots grow out and anchor the plant on its own.

other than those simple steps, the switch over is pretty smooth and easy.

707seedbank

707seedbank

Supporter
I would mix a little coco with your outdoor soil when transplanting into the ground. This will help your roots get used to the native soil and help the roots spread easier into the ground.
As said before mulch is key....

R

redog

will it be close by? the only thing i can think of is the coco will dry out very fast and if you dont keep it watered well enough until its established in the soil it could die...i would bury the rootball around 4 inches under the soil line and wet the soil well...you can also add mulch on top to prevent it from drying out quicker

Does it matter what kind of mulch used?

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Not close by, gorilla grow. Thanks for the tips. RB

H

hillbilly

just don't burn them in the sun...be sure to harden them off!

G

greenthumb

dont mean to sound like im being funny ODGG but coco drys out very quickly on the suface so you will have to go back to it every couple of days for a week or so.
by then the roots should have penetrated the surrounding soil. get a load of chicken shit if you can. and put that in bottom of the hole before you put your plant in as it has loads of nitrogen.

O

ODGG

dont mean to sound like im being funny ODGG but coco drys out very quickly on the suface so you will have to go back to it every couple of days for a week or so.
by then the roots should have penetrated the surrounding soil. get a load of chicken shit if you can. and put that in bottom of the hole before you put your plant in as it has loads of nitrogen.

If your transplanting....you put your plant well below the ground, you dont make it even with the soil. Transplant up to the first set of leaves......that cocoa will be atleast 3 good inches under the ground....it aint gonna dry out.

G

greenthumb

thanks for putting me straight ODGG ive been just making a hole and putting plant in it and just back filling the remaining gaps but i will be doing it your way from now on makes sense.

Latest posts

Top Bottom