Transplanting into 3G OR 5G pots

• Thread starter Green Giant
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Green Giant

Green Giant

Hey guys, I finish my runs in 5G pots, normal I go from a solo cup, to 3G then 5G and then send the ladies into flower. Is there any benefit from doing it this way, or another way? Let me know what you guys are doing.

GG

KennyPowers

KennyPowers

i used to clone in solo cups, transfer to 1gal pots, then a week before flower i wold transfer to 3 or 5 gal pots.

now i clone and start veg in 1gal pots and then transplant to 5g 2-3w before flower.

the second strategy is winning. i usually only have to water once during cloning and only have 1 transplant instead of 2.....and i hate transplant day lol.

Green Giant

Green Giant

I always have good luck with what I do, I'm just looking for a better way (less transplanting). The only thing with going to 5G pots is it will take more nuets to feed.

bobby

bobby

This is a great question because veg space is very important to us all. And the answer to this determines how much veg space we ideally need for planning grows.

I agree with KennyPowers......giving the plants more root space, earlier..seems to make the plants grow faster.

My theory is that the tap root is like a sensor. If the tap root hits the bottom or sides really quickly, then the plant senses that it's in a small container and grows accordingly to adapt to the environment.

I used to think that maxing out the root mass in a solo cup, then transferring to a larger container would maybe prevent root rot problems and create faster growth due to the quick drying medium and increased feeding. However, I've tested this out many times , and consistently the plants that start off with a larger container, seem to grow much faster. Also, you avoid transplant shock by starting with the bigger containers.

Yes you use more nutrients, but the more nutrients your plant uses, the bigger your yield. In my opinion, the goal of growing is actually to be able to feed the most amount of nutrients possible, without over feeding.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I try to do as little transplanting as possible. If starting from clone, I'll let the clones adjust to the new enviro after they've rooted, then put them in their final container.

outwest

SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

I go from either solo cups to one gallon then to final pot or will start in a one gallon using 1/2 to 2/3 the pot and then straight to a 3 or 5 gallon smart pot to finish!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I think going from solo cups or 1 gallons straight to 5 gallons would be better. Like a couple people said the less transplanting and the more space the roots have to grow the better. I don't like to transplant more then once.

Green Giant

Green Giant

I went straight from the solo cup to a 5G pot this last round of transplanting, way easier too. Now I'm off to add some A/C in my veg room. Temps are getting up there.

philly kush

philly kush

Hey guys, I finish my runs in 5G pots, normal I go from a solo cup, to 3G then 5G and then send the ladies into flower. Is there any benefit from doing it this way, or another way? Let me know what you guys are doing.

GG
after my cuttings root they go right into 3gal. pots all the way thru flower,never have any problems,the girls dig thier home n i have less clutter with all kinds of pots in the grow room,but i do keep my moms in 5gal. pots.....Peace n happy gardening 2 u!!

philly kush

philly kush

I try to do as little transplanting as possible. If starting from clone, I'll let the clones adjust to the new enviro after they've rooted, then put them in their final container.

outwest
with u on that 1 west!

turbo14

turbo14

1 Gallon Pots when clones are rooted.. then to 5 gal or 10 gal . The advantage of vegging a few weeks in a 1 gallon pot is root development. I only like to transplant once before flower. Less is better in the transplanting department, more damage is done to the roots then good if you are moving more than once.

turbo

2012 05 23 103839
derelict

derelict

outwest

same bro, less transplanting means happier plants in my opinion.

Top Bottom