transplanting rooted clones into 1 gal. pots, which soil do you like?

• Thread starter Califlower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Califlower

Califlower

and other questions...

What's a soil mix or soil you would use for this? The clones are already rooted in a nice potting soil. I want to root them into these new pots and grow them a little bigger. Then either out to the planter boxes or grown into a mother. How do you recommend growing a clone into a mother? What light is good for a mother indoors? Can you put a plant outside during the day then under the T12s at night with no bad effect? How can I gradually lower the light cycle if my clones are at 18/6 and it is more like 13/11 outside so they don't freak? Can I change it an hour lower every two days perhaps?

Thanks!

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

I always use foxfarm ocean forest. Its all organic and packed with nutrients. You could get away with not even nuting the first 4 weeks because its so packed.

burn4me

burn4me

^^^im no expert but i concur. My mix is 2:1 with ffof and ffhf because i was told ffof could be hot for my babies. They are loving this mix. Plus i didn't have to feed for 3 weeks. I also added a little lime and perlite. Might do better for longer with a bit bigger pot. Good luck

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
and other questions...

What's a soil mix or soil you would use for this? The clones are already rooted in a nice potting soil. I want to root them into these new pots and grow them a little bigger. Then either out to the planter boxes or grown into a mother. How do you recommend growing a clone into a mother? What light is good for a mother indoors? Can you put a plant outside during the day then under the T12s at night with no bad effect? How can I gradually lower the light cycle if my clones are at 18/6 and it is more like 13/11 outside so they don't freak? Can I change it an hour lower every two days perhaps?

Thanks!
Whoa, sister, all these questions! Let's hit 'em one at a time, k?

For soil, I really like Gardener & Bloom's Blue Ribbon potting soil mix. If you want to lighten it up further, I like rice hulls over perlite all day long, however, they can be more difficult to find as my local feed shop doesn't always have them in (I use the inexpensive animal bedding hulls).

I would grow a clone out into a mother using the cheapest lighting possible, that being fluorescent. If you have T12s, then use those with a good mix of daylight bulbs and a couple of warm bulbs.

If you want to put a plant outside, just be sure it's well hardened off to the sunlight. Starting out under dappled shade works great, if you don't have that then some shadecloth will work well for you.

You don't change the photoperiod for putting clones out, you match it to the day you plan on putting them out and then you interrupt the dark phase. I'm going to link you to a tool I've used over the years, it's called the daylight explorer tool. You need to know your approximate latitude, and if you know your exact lat even better. From here let me explain what I do for mine.

So, let's say I want to put my plants out on May 15. Using the handy dandy Daylight Explorer Tool, along with knowing my latitude (input your address here: ), I know that on that day the day will be 14.1hrs long. Using a timer I match that as closely as I can (I use a cheap timer from Walmart that gives me 15min increments). With me so far?

From there I set the main daylight phase to, let's say 14hrs just to keep it simple, k? THAT's your daylight phase. Now, what you want to do to keep the clones in a vegetative growing status is to interrupt the dark phase, because it is by sufficiently long periods of dark that photoperiodic plants such as cannabis 'know' to switch growth phase from vegetative to regenerative (flowering, sexual).

My schedule would look like this:

ON: 6:00am
OFF: 8:00pm
ON: 10:00pm
OFF: 12:00pm
ON: 1:00am
OFF: 3:00am

I like to use 2hr interruptions because then I know for sure nothing will flip back into flower unless it's root bound. But you can use 1hr interruptions. The goal is to keep the lighting phase closely matching the veg photoperiod while simultaneously "telling" the plant that it's not time to flower yet. You're using 18/6, so you want to add 4hrs of light, DURING the dark phase. I'm not 100% sure it has to be matched in this manner, in other words, it may work perfectly well by interrupting only a total of two hours during the dark phase. But, this is pretty close to what I do. Works GREAT with clones, DON'T do this to seedlings!

T

toquer

T12's have given me really spindly growth. Just to dim of bulbs. T8 at least.
When I started I was outdoors and brought 100 plants in an out every day. Out at sunrise in before sunset and under 1000w MH in the garage on a mover so that they only had 6 hours of darkness. This was a constant changing amount of time. When it came time to flower they no longer came inside. A few times early in the year flowering reverts depending on by how much the day is getting longer. They then make good trees. Other times of the year in the winter it works too but winter flowers are smaller.

I use VermiFire right out the gate. Love the stuff and don't get burn from it. But my clones go into tiny pots for 2 weeks. Designed just for clones. They tapper at the bottom. Developes only roots for those weeks. Then they are ready for anything.

Califlower

Califlower

Thanks all.

Seamaiden, I get it now, thanks! I made the box twice as high. I can't let the plants get over 8 feet tall. So, I will have to top and bend if need be.

In your example the last interruption is 3 hours it looks like. I will see if I can get some rice hulls. I need to find a place to drop off some soil or compost. What do you think about mushroom compost?

I read you need to have a clone rooted, and I would assume, transplanted, for 6 weeks before you should use her as a mother. Is this a good rule of thumb?

@toquer ha ha toker ... T8's eh? Got it.

Last edited:
Oregon Grown

Oregon Grown

@Seamaiden why isn't it a good idea to use the gas lantern technique on seedlings?

You can take clones as soon as it's large enough no need to give it 6 weeks. I have read you want to give seedlings 6 weeks because environment plays a role in the sex of the plant but I'm not convinced it matters. It might be interesting to see if one could take a cutting from a seedling and get a different sex then the seedling. I think I might try it out.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't know this as the Gas Lantern technique, but what I did learn trying to keep seedlings on the same interrupted photoperiod as clones is that I got an unusually high number of males, including from some genetics that weren't previously known for that trait. I've used the method for years on clones, but a couple of years ago tried to do my seed starts under the same lighting as my clones and got that result.

I used to grow stony hermatypic (reef building) corals as well as Tridacnid (giant) clams using nothing but a bank of T12 and T12s are what I have in my own veg-box-table-thing (along with some CFL clips if I want to spread out more light). Mix your bulbs right and keep 'em close down enough and you can grow almost anything. ;)

With seedlings it's not a time thing, it's a size (number of nodes) thing. Once it gets 6-8 nodes tall it should begin alternating node growth at which point it will should show sex. This is my observation using natural photoperiod (outdoors), not an artificial photoperiod. So, for example, I don't know what would happen if you put seedlings on a 12/12 and let 'em go. Anyway, I wouldn't begin cloning a seedling that's only just sexed, but I WOULD start topping it and within a month or so of its first topping, it's usually big enough and has enough branches that it can start being mommed.
Thanks all.

Seamaiden, I get it now, thanks! I made the box twice as high. I can't let the plants get over 8 feet tall. So, I will have to top and bend if need be.

In your example the last interruption is 3 hours it looks like. I will see if I can get some rice hulls. I need to find a place to drop off some soil or compost. What do you think about mushroom compost?

I read you need to have a clone rooted, and I would assume, transplanted, for 6 weeks before you should use her as a mother. Is this a good rule of thumb?

@toquer ha ha toker ... T8's eh? Got it.
I haven't used mushroom compost so I can't really speak to it.

The last interruption, the one from 1:00am-3:00am is two hours, not three.

Try a feed store for the rice hulls, they're now sold as animal bedding. I hear also breweries, but I also hear they're more expensive via a brewery. If you can't find 'em, you can't, then use sand or perlite to promote drainage.

Since this seems to be a first for you, I'm going to recommend getting a good quality top soil instead of just compost. It's just easier in so many ways, but mostly you won't have to worry about getting the balance right. From there you simply re-amend nutrients via rock dusts, compost, etc, as needed.

Califlower

Califlower

I mean the last dark period is 3 hours, that's fine, huh, lol.

Cool. I replied to my planter box post with my soil progress. But for transplanting from the clone pots to the 1 gallons I'm just going to use the Fox Farm Ocean Forest.

You would start topping it within a month or so of its first topping? You mean clone it, lol?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh! Yep, it is. <smacks forehead>

I don't use FF soils, they're too expensive for my cheap ass. From what I've read, they can be too hot sometimes for plants, that'd be my main concern.

As for the topping, I generally don't clone what I top anymore because otherwise I'm up to my eyeballs in clones. The timing has more to do with how quickly the plant is growing and how much I'm trying to get it to branch out, with a goal of achieving a plant no more than 6' in height. So I'm looking for branches/branching, not new clones. That doesn't mean those bits can't be cloned, of course, just that I don't do it anymore. But if it's growing really fast, you may find you have to top every couple of weeks. Giving the roots room generally ensures explosive growth rates, damn near like kelp, swear to God!

burn4me

burn4me

i keep hearing that about ffof. i mean i havent grown shit tons in it but i have 2 different strains in it now. no burn. if anything there is not enough mag for my indicas. ive had to foilar epsom. and K for my sativa. but i hit them with VEG+BLOOM after 3 weeks in mix. they are straightening out. maybe i just got lucky i just thought id share my results thus far with ffof.

Califlower

Califlower

I used FFOF in pots last year and it was fine, except for seedlings, I got a little leaf curl. Now I know seedlings don't even need soil, lol.

Califlower

Califlower

So, if my day is say 13.5 hours of light on the day I plant, should I add 1/2 hour to one of the night interruptions to keep the total light at 18 hours, or does it matter? Can the last light period be 3 hours instead of 2? I understand we are matching the daylight and interrupting the night cycle so it doesn't flower. This tells me I could perhaps (using your 14 hour example) have the last dark interruption period be 1:00am - 4:00am?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
So, if my day is say 13.5 hours of light on the day I plant, should I add 1/2 hour to one of the night interruptions to keep the total light at 18 hours, or does it matter? Can the last light period be 3 hours instead of 2? I understand we are matching the daylight and interrupting the night cycle so it doesn't flower. This tells me I could perhaps (using your 14 hour example) have the last dark interruption period be 1:00am - 4:00am?
Yes, I don't think you have to use my exact schedule, it was really more of an example. I have friends who, if I recollect, interrupt twice during the dark phase @1hr/interruption, so I think there's a good bit of room to play around with there.

Top Bottom