Transplanting to bigger pots

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kolah

I always re-pot my plants before they get root-bound...but recently I spoke with a few cats and I have done some reading where they say that you should let the plants get totally root-bound before transplanting.
This (they say) creates bigger and more robust plants. One guy who runs a big commericial/med op here in CO swears that letting them getting root-bound before transplanting is KEY to growing bigger and better. Thoughts?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I like some root binding so the root ball stays together better when I transplant, but I don't like to see a lot of circling. However, if you go with what @Blaze has observed, he feels very strongly that any constriction of the rhizosphere is going to diminish plant size/growth, and therefore ultimately harvest. Are these CO cats able to do 16lbs+/plant? That's the person I listen to. ;)

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

If you have a root raking/ball breaking technique that works well, it's a decent idea. If your just plopping your root bound balls into soil, you're gonna be bummed when you rip it out after harvest and it looks the exact same size.

IMO never letting it get bound is the best way to grow in soil.

ChalkyWhite

ChalkyWhite

I let them rootbound in geopots from 3 to 10 gal sometimes to 30gal once the roots fill up at 10 gal geo they'll fill that 30 fairly quickly as you didn't damage the roots not to mention its easier at least for me to transplant a rootbound plant its a pretty much a solid round block.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
don't let them get rootbound but let them utilize the container size before up potting is my preferred way, transplanting earlier is better if done gently IMO But I like to go to where the plant is actively drying out the medium but not needing water everyday. i.e. (rootbound)....

K

kolah

Yep, my belief has always been to transplant before they get bound-up....but not too early..much like you folks said. Two guys told me this "theory" of letting them get rootbound and both grow impressive large plants. In saying that, I have had very good success growing medicine and I don't want to try something of this nature as "experimental." And I'd much rather take the advice of the growers here on the farm....cuz most of you cats know your shit. ;)

Sailfishdan

Sailfishdan

i have never seen any truly positive results by root binding a plant, the only time i can see it being remotely beneficial would be to possibly aid in the sexing a seed

Top Bottom