Treating Seizures In Dogs

• Thread starter Seamaiden
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Rofl your dog sounds like a beautiful nightmare :P

I'm glad your able to get it all worked out sounds like the oil's working really well if shes back to her old self even if just a little bit :D Know she's happy.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Just an update less than a month in: I've managed to titrate the dog's dosage so that she doesn't get high, but is still to this point 100% seizure-free. Spoke with the vet last week and while he tried to hide it, he was clearly amazed at how she's doing. I wish it was easier to get my oil tested so I could know better what I'm actually giving her, as it's also what I'm giving a dear family member who was just diagnosed with metastasized lung cancer. Due to his advanced age the typical treatments of chemo and radiation do not apply.

Timmyahcomeon

Timmyahcomeon

Found this vetcbd about 2 years ago when my 14 year old black lab when doing good, saw a great improvement in his happiness, was able to walk up the stairs and was eating like a champ. I give it to all my dogs and recommend it to everyone
20160730 125826

diamond2.0

diamond2.0

Poor dog . Have you tried anything like m.m.s. on her? That stuff is straight up mirrrical stuff. may not cure her but can make her more comfortable. Dont know how it would work on the problem though. i gave my dog that had cancer and it helped her alot. She had a tumer the size of a baseball on chest when i started though. Seams animals respond well too colloidla silver too. Makes them act young again and much more comfortable. . Especially if thier cringin and shaking in back pain and wont walk to pee or anything like my dashhound was. After treating her she lived another 7 years jumping off the couch. dr. was amazed !!!!! Well sending happy healing vibes to the dog.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Just an update less than a month in: I've managed to titrate the dog's dosage so that she doesn't get high, but is still to this point 100% seizure-free. Spoke with the vet last week and while he tried to hide it, he was clearly amazed at how she's doing. I wish it was easier to get my oil tested so I could know better what I'm actually giving her, as it's also what I'm giving a dear family member who was just diagnosed with metastasized lung cancer. Due to his advanced age the typical treatments of chemo and radiation do not apply.
i just watched this video of this dog that ate magic mushrooms lol true story

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

one time our family poodle found my stash ate easy 1/4 oz of black hash Gold seal i come home from school moms like fund all this tin foil out back and mindy is sick i am like omg Fuck me sure enough hash stash gone

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hmm.. ok. That's not the situation here. :speechless:
good news, and good too that your vet is paying attention
Thank you, it is! Like I said in the beginning this is all about quality of life for the dog, and she's definitely got that right now. I just wish I knew more about the oil I'm making, because while I know it's got some CBD in it I don't know how much.

@Timmyahcomeon138 thanks for linking me to this, I'll share it with the vet. :)

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

@LittleDabbie -- thanks for that, I'll do exactly that. The oil is very much a sludge, but I'm sure the coconut oil (very deeply colored now) should suffice given how little the dog needs to control the grand mal seizures.

He feels that it's not warranted in this case, based on how everything's happened his answer was the prednisone. We spent a long time discussing whether or not to go ahead and image her, we're not all that far from UCDavis. Not only can we not afford it, if it shows there *is* a lesion or tumor, treatment options remain the same (again, according to the vet).

Titrating has been the difficult part, you're 100% correct about that. It's the main reason why I add so much coconut oil, to make titration a bit easier and overdosing the poor dog that much more difficult. So far I've managed to stop all grand mal seizures (I've been keeping extra ice packs in the freezer just in case, because yeah, they get her SO hot!) but I have on two occasions clearly gotten her too high altogether, and my own feelings are that it's not right to do that to an animal who doesn't understand what's happening to them and didn't choose it.

I've never heard of this. It would probably be easier than trying to keep the oil inside a chunk of tuna (she's gotten wise to my other tricks from when she had a bladder infection). I'll try it tonight. Do you think I could put it under her tongue and have the same effectiveness?

Can you explain this a bit more to me? I can feel the weather changes in my sinuses and knees. I notice that when she's had any kind of seizure her pupils are uneven and she seems to be sensitive to both loud and/or sharp noises, as well as visual stimuli, flinches hard and moves her head away. Is there anything I can do to help her with that? I covered her head yesterday but she didn't like it at all.

@Douglas.C -- you just gave me a bunch to chew on, I've never read a single one of our winterizing threads. D'oh!

Either way, I know one thing for certain--the cannabis oil isn't causing the problems the vet told us to watch for if we started her on the prednisone and as long as she doesn't have another grand mal I think we're keeping her quality of life up.

What I don't know for sure is whether or not this will mask me being able to see when the dog's time is really up. This one I'm playing entirely by ear, but so far so good, she's wagging her tail and seems to be happy except when she's going to have a petit mal. Fortunately those are very, very brief.

I'll get my sludge separated from the coconut oil this morning, thanks again!!
Sorry, life got hectic. Great to hear she's doing well. I wouldn't stress too much about testing, it just puts numbers to your same titration efforts. If your material and extraction methods are relatively consistent, the resulting strength should be close enough to work with small adjustments (of course standardizing would be even better).

I also wouldn't stress too much about 'getting your dog high' (provided you start very low dose and don't overdo it). Obviously her comfort is your primary concern, and you're being very careful. I think she'll forgive you for the wobblies and crazy dreams considering the seizure relief, and will probably become accustomed to occasional side effects of variable strength meds (mine did, but he slept a lot while getting used to it). Again, just watch for slowed breathing and extreme lethargy. Fwiw, my boy could have been more comfortable and back to good life sooner if I hadn't been so conservative with his meds in the beginning.

Unfortunately I don't know much more about the weather effects beyond pressure having some role. There wasn't much evidence for the prevailing theories when I last looked into it. Focal seizure activity looks kind of like when she's just about to flip into a GM, and maybe a little like what she looks like when she's coming back to consciousness. Symptoms are pupils, looking to either side, biting at the air or snapping jaws, facial twitching, body spasms, losing balance, turning in circles, curvature of spine and tail, incontinence, extreme anxiousness, basically acting weird without losing consciousness like in a GM.

Tincture or gum rub might work best for situations where her regular daily dose isn't cutting it, since the effects should come on faster than an edible. Also you could keep a stronger emergency batch for bad days. Stress and environment will definitely have an impact on occurrence of seizure activity, and I bet you'll quickly tune in to when she's at higher risk (then medicate proactively). When your knees hurt keep an eye on her for weirdness. Just keeping noise and lights down will help, maybe a crate with blanket over it? Low dose melatonin can also help with their stress and anxiety, and it's a good brain tonic in general to help recover from neurological stress.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Hey I just got an email about this, really not a terrible price when you scale the % and compare to high cbd extracts from a dispensary. A friend already ordered some and says he likes it, "not heady at all but nice body buzz".

What I said above was just regarding high-thc extracts, which I think are necessary for emergency treatment of seizures. Maybe cbd alone is enough for preventative, I'm ignorant on that. This 99% powder seems like a good way to blend the two in whatever ratio works best.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
@Herb Forester thanks for that information, it's very helpful. I have managed to titrate her dose pretty well, she gets a gum rub and then some tuna for being good. Seizure-free, including Petit mals. She is getting tired out more easily, but to be fair, there's been a lot of excitement lately and she's been traveling a LOT.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Fyi I tried that 99% powder cbd and it's pretty nice. I dusted a tiny dab of bho from a strain I'm overly tolerant to. Instant major body buzz, and sublty calming for some hours into the evening. I was having a very hectic and anxious afternoon, felt much more at ease afterward than usual for these activities.

Cbd is such a great stress tonic, so I wouldn't be surprised if daily supplementing signifigantly helps these canine neuro cases (age, epilepsy, tumors, CVA, etc.) I'm sure your vet explained idiopathic seizures are very common for dogs who live longer into old age.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
He did mention that it's not uncommon, but then he decided to Rx the Prednisone instead of the phenobarbital (typical Tx for dogs with seizures, yes?). He is so confident that it's a brain tumor, but the way she's been I'm not sure.

Last night she poked herself pretty good with one of my mother's cacti out in front, no blood but she sure felt it. She's seen it before, but she stepped on it and then poked her nose hard with it, and that's suggesting to me that her vision is going as the vet said would happen. She was sniffing where all the dogs pee, and it was dark out.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

He did mention that it's not uncommon, but then he decided to Rx the Prednisone instead of the phenobarbital (typical Tx for dogs with seizures, yes?). He is so confident that it's a brain tumor, but the way she's been I'm not sure.

Last night she poked herself pretty good with one of my mother's cacti out in front, no blood but she sure felt it. She's seen it before, but she stepped on it and then poked her nose hard with it, and that's suggesting to me that her vision is going as the vet said would happen. She was sniffing where all the dogs pee, and it was dark out.

You're probably on it already, but be sure to police her living spaces for everything dangerous at eye level. They need a super safe zone with nothing pokey, even unpadded wall corners can be a danger. Vision problems are typical after seizures, sometimes with loss or deficit on one side like with CVA. Test her at home by covering one eye and having her follow you with the other, check for flinching, plus pupilary reaction and dilation compared between eyes.

Often they can adapt to vision loss and navigate well just by nose, especially in familiar surroundings. Main thing is really protect her eyes and nose to prevent injuries from making things worse (doggie eyepatch, safety glasses, or else 'the cone' when necessary for lifestyle purposes). I think elderly dogs hitting their head/eyes on unexpected things is somewhat akin to debilitating fall-injuries for us.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, I hadn't started doing that but was wondering how to approach it. You've given me a good outline because I wasn't a good mother and allowed my kids to knock the hell out of themselves. Thank you VERY MUCH for this information, it's extremely helpful.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

No, I hadn't started doing that but was wondering how to approach it. You've given me a good outline because I wasn't a good mother and allowed my kids to knock the hell out of themselves. Thank you VERY MUCH for this information, it's extremely helpful.
This thread is awesome, thank you all for sharing your experiences with these difficult situations.

frebo

frebo

So, most of the people making siesure meds for children are starting with high CBD and low THC marijuana. Has anyone done this with animals? One of my Oregon Medical Marijuana patients who was having siesures has not had any in over 6 months using my Sour Tsunami(16% CBD, 0.52% THC).
15 years ago we had Beasely, a third hand epileptic Basset hound. I wish I knew what I know then.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I know that feeling! I would have used high CBD:THC meds, but I just don't have them. The one verified AC/DC cut I had got too hurt to live.

Latest posts

Top Bottom