Tree removal question and thoughts

• Thread starter tinytmp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

tinytmp

Hello!

Question for the homeowner hive mind. My husband and I are in the process of overhauling our backyard. We knew this was a big project that we'd have to tackle when we purchased our house 3 years ago. We live in New England, as a point of reference for my description and questions. Our backyard is surrounded by large trees, mostly oak, some of which need to come down. The previous owner had a chain link fence installed. It looked like crap, and part of it was pulled over by this invasive vine that is growing in the woods behind our yard. She also had artificial turf installed and a mulch area for her daughter's playground (which we have since removed). Yes...turf. Like...why? We just got a dumpster dropped off today. My stepfather is coming tomorrow with his tractor to remove the turf, fencing, etc. Our project is officially underway! We want to plant grass and surround the yard with vinyl fence. First task is removing old fence and turf, then tree removal.

In the back of the yard there is a HUGE willow tree. I hate this tree. It drops leaves year round (it seems). It drops huge chunks of branch like things (not limbs, not leaves, but in between- this description is stupid. I'm not a tree expert). Last year, a huge limb fell from it in a storm, luckily in the direction away from the house. It is thriving because it is close to the bank of a stream (I know willows like water). It needs to come down. The issue is that we also have an easement behind our property and to the left. We aren't sure if this tree is on our property, or on the city's property, since the easement is (supposed to be but is not) maintained by the city, and we aren't 100% clear on our property boundaries. The previous fence went right up to where the willow is, but we aren't sure if they used that as a natural boundary or if that is actually our property line.

How can we go about figuring out whose property the tree is on? Surveys are expensive- is this the only way to go? Would the city clerk or some other office have any record of this at all?

If we did find out that it is on city property, is there any way we could convince them to remove it? It's honestly a hazard to our home. Obviously if it's on our property, it's up to us to take care of it. It's massive and would require the use of a crane to take the top off and then remove the rest.

Tree removal is no joke. What do ya'll think?

T

tinytmp

Hello!

Question for the homeowner hive mind. My husband and I are in the process of overhauling our backyard. We knew this was a big project that we'd have to tackle when we purchased our house 3 years ago. We live in New England, as a point of reference for my description and questions. Our backyard is surrounded by large trees, mostly oak, some of which need to come down. The previous owner had a chain link fence installed. It looked like crap, and part of it was pulled over by this invasive vine that is growing in the woods behind our yard. She also had artificial turf installed and a mulch area for her daughter's playground (which we have since removed). Yes...turf. Like...why? We just got a dumpster dropped off today. My stepfather is coming tomorrow with his tractor to remove the turf, fencing, etc. Our project is officially underway! We want to plant grass and surround the yard with vinyl fence. First task is removing old fence and turf, then tree removal.

In the back of the yard there is a HUGE willow tree. I hate this tree. It drops leaves year round (it seems). It drops huge chunks of branch like things (not limbs, not leaves, but in between- this description is stupid. I'm not a tree expert). Last year, a huge limb fell from it in a storm, luckily in the direction away from the house. It is thriving because it is close to the bank of a stream (I know willows like water). It needs to come down. The issue is that we also have an easement behind our property and to the left tree care durham. We aren't sure if this tree is on our property, or on the city's property, since the easement is (supposed to be but is not) maintained by the city, and we aren't 100% clear on our property boundaries. The previous fence went right up to where the willow is, but we aren't sure if they used that as a natural boundary or if that is actually our property line.

How can we go about figuring out whose property the tree is on? Surveys are expensive- is this the only way to go? Would the city clerk or some other office have any record of this at all?

If we did find out that it is on city property, is there any way we could convince them to remove it? It's honestly a hazard to our home. Obviously if it's on our property, it's up to us to take care of it. It's massive and would require the use of a crane to take the top off and then remove the rest.

Tree removal is no joke. What do ya'll think?
thank you for your time and suggestions.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Get a lot map of your street from your city and a cheep metal detector. You should be able to locate the front survey spikes with detector.
Set detector for iron. The iron spikes may be a foot or two down, just find it and put in a stake.
Put a stake in and run a line from the front survey spikes to the back of your lot. Mark lot depth on line, use the detector to locate your survey spikes.
You can then run a line between the rear survey spikes and see witch side of the line the tree is on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom