Tree's in soil ?? How big of containers?

• Thread starter Mr.GoodCat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

Hey whats up fellow farmers. I am getting ready to setup a new vert room and I plan on using smart pots. My question is how big of a smart pot should I use if I plan on growing trees? The room will be 16 x 24 with 16k and 12-plants. I am shooting for a 3lb average. I was thinking 30-gallon? What you guys think?

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

Hey mrgoodcat :)
kinda off topic but wondering if you ever used copper hydroxide paint as recommended by uncle ben?

seems like on a large tree grow it would be pretty beneficial, although I have no experience with it personally.
couple interesting posts about it.
http://www.thcfarmer.com/forums/article-view-520.html&title=how-can-i-use-spin-out-for-chemical-root-pruning

http://www.sepro.com/default.php?page=spinout

http://www.invalid.com/general-marijuana-growing/9114-spin-out-chemical-root-pruning.html

container treated with spin out.
A

B

container not treated with spin out.
C

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

:giggle, I dunno how I missed your first post that you are already using smart pots...
time for round three on the coffee :D

F

fatganjagrower

30 gallon is too big. 20 gallon is plenty enough for your root systems. Good luck

mango420

mango420

20 gallons should be plenty, you can go bigger if you want. Also are you hoping to get 3lbs per plant, 3 lbs per light or 3 lbs total?

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

3 lb per plant that is less then 1/2 g per watt so i think it is do able.

wonderinalice

wonderinalice

I've done the twenty gallons indoor, I would go with the thirty's. I didn't get close to three ..... but had four plants on 1 thousand hps...... 9 o's was the biggest yield i got out of 1 plant??? Just my 2cent

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Bigger is better

Go big

I screwed up and put this one in a 10Gal? pot...

wilts everyday till I water it...poor thing

BabyCtree
mango420

mango420

Gpw doesn't really work with trees, it's more weight per plant as usually people growing trees have to because of low plant numbers. 3lb per plant for your first tree grow is insane, I'm sorry it's not gonna happen, especially in dirt. Hope for 1 per plant and go from there. In this business getting your hopes up for a huge yield then having reality set in when you crop a 1/4 of what u expected is crushing.. Ask any experienced grower and they will agree. 20 gallons of dirt is plenty, I've yielded half and 3/4 of a lb in 5 gallon buckets of dirt. Also if you wanted to fill up a 30 gallon bucket with roots u would need about 3 months veg time, 10 ft ceilings and about 50sqft for each plant.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

Hope for 1 per plant and go from there. In this business getting your hopes up for a huge yield then having reality set in when you crop a 1/4 of what u expected is crushing.. Ask any experienced grower and they will agree.

I have been growing for 10+ years homie. I pull about an elbow a plant right now in 10 gallon smart pots. This is not a tree. A tree is 3+. For you to tell me it simply isn't going to happen shows your lack of experience. I was asking for input from people who have grown trees in dirt not someone that has grown half pound plants in 5 gallon buckets.

mango420

mango420

Well im not gonna argue with you on this, even the most experienced hydro tree farmers arent pulling 3lb averages, and thats hydro, not soil. But best of luck with it and if it happens you can rub it in my face then..good luck

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I scrogged in 18 gallons of soil under a 750w Lumitek and got 4 lbs. I vegged over 2 months. At harvest the 18 gallon rubbermaid was slightly root bound. It was a tree. It was just a flattened out. I think you would be fine in 20 gallons. It isn't like they won't yield big. If you fall short of 4 pounds and they were potbound then jump to 30 gallon.

Or just go with 30 gallons to start. Why don't you just want to jump to 30 gallons. It's not like you aren't used to hauling massive quantities of dirt all over already. You just don't want to jump to 30 if you don't have too? Feeling weak from your outdoor efforts? Too stoned from the jars of dank you have been producing? Getting old?

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

I scrogged in 18 gallons of soil under a 750w Lumitek and got 4 lbs. I vegged over 2 months. At harvest the 18 gallon rubbermaid was slightly root bound. It was a tree. It was just a flattened out. I think you would be fine in 20 gallons. It isn't like they won't yield big. If you fall short of 4 pounds and they were potbound then jump to 30 gallon.

Or just go with 30 gallons to start. Why don't you just want to jump to 30 gallons. It's not like you aren't used to hauling massive quantities of dirt all over already. You just don't want to jump to 30 if you don't have too? Feeling weak from your outdoor efforts? Too stoned from the jars of dank you have been producing? Getting old?

Lol, too funny. I will probably just go with 30 gallon to start. I am used to hauling pallets of soil all over gods creation so whats another 120 gallons worth right? Man I can't wait for this outdoor season to be over already. I really out did myself this year. There is a lot going on behind the curtains (which I am sure you know because I tagged along last year and you saw how I get down) I sure do feel like I am getting old. I think I am in need of a well deserved vacation come October. Feel like fishing the poconos in early October?

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I have been growing for a while too and just switched to trees. On my first try I averaged 1.6 lbs per plant with 6 plants and 6 lights with temps in excess of 105 a couple times when the ac breaker blew, and ihad pythium on one plant really bad and only got many 1/4 lb off it. For as many more lights than plants you got going 3 lbs is not impossible but I grow in coco so it is a bit different

To answer the question, my trees were root bound in 27 gallon totes when I chopped so I would imagine you are gonna want at least that much root mass for 3 pounders. Good luck and post some picks if you get some monsters!

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I am almost certain if Mr. Good Cat wants trees there will be trees. Beauties too.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

I have been growing for a while too and just switched to trees. On my first try I averaged 1.6 lbs per plant with 6 plants and 6 lights with temps in excess of 105 a couple times when the ac breaker blew, and ihad pythium on one plant really bad and only got many 1/4 lb off it. For as many more lights than plants you got going 3 lbs is not impossible but I grow in coco so it is a bit different

To answer the question, my trees were root bound in 27 gallon totes when I chopped so I would imagine you are gonna want at least that much root mass for 3 pounders. Good luck and post some picks if you get some monsters!

Sorry about your luck. So no one is having any luck growing trees it seems. Hmmmm:wondering ... seems like I may just have to try it out for mylsef. If I can get about an elbow each off of 12 plants with 5000 watts with horizontal lighting I see no reason why I can't pull 3 each with 16k and a much more efficient light layout. Essentially all I am going to be doing is increasing my root mass and increasing my light. Veg time doesn't bother me because I have a dedicated veg room and flower room as well as a mother /clone room. I can be vegging plants at the same time I am flowering plants and when they go into the vert room they can harden off for 3-4 weeks before they get blasted.

I am almost certain if Mr. Good Cat wants trees there will be trees. Beauties too.

I want trees, so there will be trees. I ordered my first round of supplies yesterday.

SO soon enough we will get this party started.

D

Des Desmond

Forestry is great industry and removed the population. In this sector use the soil which have all type of mineral and vitamin and other important ingredients.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

Sorry about your luck. So no one is having any luck growing trees ]

honestly I think I was pretty lucky. It was a garden that I could only visit every few days and it paid itself off on the first run so I am happy. Also with all the problems I still averaged more than 1.5 lbs per light and One plant was a total loss. I am expecting 2 each next run since I got it dialed in now. I think u can pull 3.

Top Bottom