Trellis building help???

• Thread starter pacificdunes74
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pacificdunes74

pacificdunes74

I saw a few threads where growers are building a wood frame and then running string of somekind across it in both ways to make a trellis? Why do this and will it keep the plants from growing to big is that the reasoning behind it? What string are the using, it was black and looked thick. I would like to do this also but want to make sure i use the correct material. I viewed it on here with a guy who is running 6 aerobox type systems in one room. I cant seem to locate it agin to ask him but I am sure with all these farmers on here that someone can help me. I am thinking about doing that outdoors this next spring to keep the plants low to the ground and have less a chance of the neighbors or Law enforcement seeing it. I have a recommendation but still dont want that heat. PLease help? Thanks so much!

lollipopman

lollipopman

you can use wood or PVC, then some yarn for your string, all your doing is making squares, you can make them 1 inch to 6 inches apart... i use my trellis to hold up my branches and to keep every branch the same height...look up scrog grows...

sedate

sedate

You should link to pictures of what you are talking about.

You can keep the plants low to the ground but you have to train them to grow with the screen/trellis/frame instead of up. It isn't as simple as 'holding them to the ground' . . .

Do forum searches for "LST" and "SCROG" and "SOG" . . .

Jboys3

Jboys3

Would like to add to this old thread rather than starting a new one...

I currently raise meds in a 4'x8' drain table with PVC support sides and then trellis my plants using bamboo sticks attached with zip ties to the PVC supports.

I do not like to use string, yarn, or netting as it is too messy and hard to harvest your crop and which makes it difficult to reuse your items.

In my next growing facility I am thinking about using 4'x8' sheets of plywood covered with white plastic raised above the floor with cinder blocks. I would place my plants on these raised 'tables' so I can walk down my aisles. The aisles would be 36-42 feet long with no sides to these tables. My question is what type of trellis system could I use other than placing bamboo sticks in each pot for support and spreading purposes?

I have researched tomato trellis', but I don't think anything horizontal would work too well.

jimmy the hat

jimmy the hat

Would like to add to this old thread rather than starting a new one...

I currently raise meds in a 4'x8' drain table with PVC support sides and then trellis my plants using bamboo sticks attached with zip ties to the PVC supports.

I do not like to use string, yarn, or netting as it is too messy and hard to harvest your crop and which makes it difficult to reuse your items.

In my next growing facility I am thinking about using 4'x8' sheets of plywood covered with white plastic raised above the floor with cinder blocks. I would place my plants on these raised 'tables' so I can walk down my aisles. The aisles would be 36-42 feet long with no sides to these tables. My question is what type of trellis system could I use other than placing bamboo sticks in each pot for support and spreading purposes?

I have researched tomato trellis', but I don't think anything horizontal would work too well.
I use a pvc frame around my race ways....my beds I built I have 2x2's vertical at each corner from there I string the string nets...its not hard to do....just cut with scissors and don't fight it ( iv destroyed buds).... don't try to reuse it either....if your looking for sturdy and permanent get the rolls of wire mesh strung over vertical 2x4...or 4x4 posts attached to your plywood tables....@bcbuds has a scrog thread where he does it picture perfect

Jboys3

Jboys3

I use a pvc frame around my race ways....my beds I built I have 2x2's vertical at each corner from there I string the string nets...its not hard to do....just cut with scissors and don't fight it ( iv destroyed buds).... don't try to reuse it either....if your looking for sturdy and permanent get the rolls of wire mesh strung over vertical 2x4...or 4x4 posts attached to your plywood tables....@bcbuds has a scrog thread where he does it picture perfect
I appreciate your help and post, but I have used both processes in the past and have gone back to using bamboo cross braces on my PVC frames as they are reusable and easy to take down.

I am seeking something I can use for a very long race way and does not get in the way of working or harvesting as PVC would. A vertical trellis does not appear to do the trick so I am researching something horizontal. Perhaps re-using 6' tomato cages might work, but you have the issue of tangled wire and branches during harvest.

Billyboat

Billyboat

This doesn't get in the way at harvesting as it easily comes apart...

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

For what it's worth. I use 1/2 metal conduit. Bend the corners and hold them together with the conduit splice things.

Then zip tie 2" x 3" poultry netting or hardware cloth to it. I found PVC a little too flimsy when things get bigger. I hang mine from the ceiling to easily adjust height and pull it out of the way for room clean up.

Top Bottom