Trellis Systems

• Thread starter Jboys3
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jboys3

Jboys3

I currently raise meds in a 4'x8' drain table with PVC support sides and then trellis my plants using bamboo sticks attached with zip ties to the PVC supports.
I do not like to use string, yarn, or netting as it is too messy and hard to harvest your crop and these techniques make it difficult to reuse your items.
In my next growing facility I am thinking about using 4'x8' sheets of plywood covered with white plastic raised above the floor on cinder blocks. I would place my plants on these raised 'tables' so I can walk down my aisles and keep my plants off the cold floor. The aisles would be 36-42 feet long with no sides to these tables.

My question is what type of trellis system could I use other than placing bamboo sticks in each pot for support and spreading purposes?
I have researched tomato trellis', but I don't think anything horizontal would work too well.

Billyboat

Billyboat

You say you don't like string but why? I run one piece of string across my 4x8 pvc frame zig zagged a few inches apart, come harvest time you cut both ends and it all pulls out. Now I can hang whole plants or easily chop and move on.

Trellis netting is a pain to cut out.

I also really like placing 6-8 stakes in each bed with a piece of string looped around the top, I snap my plant yo yos onto the top and am able to keep the canopy where I want, come harvest time the yoyos are super easy to remove from the plant.

Jboys3

Jboys3

You say you don't like string but why? I run one piece of string across my 4x8 pvc frame zig zagged a few inches apart, come harvest time you cut both ends and it all pulls out. Now I can hang whole plants or easily chop and move on.

Trellis netting is a pain to cut out.

I also really like placing 6-8 stakes in each bed with a piece of string looped around the top, I snap my plant yo yos onto the top and am able to keep the canopy where I want, come harvest time the yoyos are super easy to remove from the plant.

Interesting with the string! Do you use screws or hooks in your PVC to keep the string in place? Does the string really come out as easy as you mention?

BTW. Please pardon my ignorance. Please define Yo Yos?

In my future plans I am running a longer and lower to the ground race way. The PVC frames would get in the way during harvest. Thus I am seeking some other type of trellis ideas. Verticle trellis appears to not work as well as horizontal. I could use 6' tomato cages, but I still think you would have issue of tangled wire and branches.

Natural

Natural

posted in wrong thread..lol..fixed!
Been trying to figure out a trellis system lately too. Love to see how you use the bamboo..sounds interesting, does it end up being square foot spaces?
I'm thinking on getting the coated square 2"x4" holed fencing, attaching to a frame of beefy PVC or wood. Then snipping out enough wire to make the holes 4". lastly hang all 4 corners to the ceiling with rope ratchet hangers.
Gonna limp through with bamboo staking and string til I getmy footprints dialed in the new room. Also, thinking maybe I should forgo the flexible fencing and frame for a stainless steel mesh cloth..made custom at metal shop with big holes and enough gauge steel that it won't need a frame. Should cost more is the thing, but have yet to price out. What do you think the ideal spacing would be if I wanted to stick plants at the end of stretch into a trellis..would have to weave them in and raise/lower the trellis as needed..then pull up and harvest at the end. Thoughts?

something like this but different...

Woven wire cloth 2 big

Jboys3

Jboys3

I use a PVC frame about 4' tall around my 4'x8' trays. In Oregon we are only allowed so many plants per patient so I have six 15 gallon fabric pots per tray. The PVC frame is glued together except one end which allows me to take it apart at harvest. Accross the top I zip tie bamboo sticks about 4"-6" apart to the PVC. This would be approximately 12-16 sticks per tray. Then I cross those sticks with anywhere from 4-12 more sticks to get my horizontal grid. At harvest the zip ties are cut and the bamboo sticks get reused next time.

Since plants are at different heights when I put them in the Bloom Trays, the sticks allow me to bend plants as needed. If you were to use string it gets difficult to 'string' the trays if the plants are already taller than the top of your PVC and it is quite difficult to load your trays with the pots if the plants are too tall also.

I looked at using the wire mesh too. You can purchase it in 8' lengths from hardware stores in different guages [fencing], but decided it wasn't worth the hassle at harvest for the same reason as plastic mesh. A pulley system sounds intriguing, but you already have lights and venting on pulleys and I think the pulley systems would get in the way of each other. I believe wire mesh would be ideal and permanent for a nice vertical trellis, but not very efficient for growng cannabis.

Billyboat

Billyboat

If you have ever tried to harvest out of a metal screen, you will cuss yourself as I ran someting like that and it took 30 hours to chop, we had to cut around the metal screen. Screw that.

I just wrap the string around the pvc frame, no hooks or anything.

I do the exact same thing in my vert grow, with my vertical trellis.

Look up Plant yo yo, they rock.

Jboys3

Jboys3

Looked them up! Thanks for the lead!!!

I might be able to use these on a very long race way from an overhead beam system hung from the roof.

Billyboat

Billyboat

Just run a piece of music wire or wire they use to hang drop ceilings down the middle of the tray from the ceiling and now you have an infinite way to support the plants.

MedicineFarm

MedicineFarm

I currently raise meds in a 4'x8' drain table with PVC support sides and then trellis my plants using bamboo sticks attached with zip ties to the PVC supports.
I do not like to use string, yarn, or netting as it is too messy and hard to harvest your crop and these techniques make it difficult to reuse your items.
In my next growing facility I am thinking about using 4'x8' sheets of plywood covered with white plastic raised above the floor on cinder blocks. I would place my plants on these raised 'tables' so I can walk down my aisles and keep my plants off the cold floor. The aisles would be 36-42 feet long with no sides to these tables.

My question is what type of trellis system could I use other than placing bamboo sticks in each pot for support and spreading purposes?
I have researched tomato trellis', but I don't think anything horizontal would work too well.
this was my solution to that problem. its called hog fence, you can get it at most feed supply stores. it comes 48"x16' they can cut it to 4x8 for you. you can get 6 inch squares or 4 inch squares. its galvanized so it won't rust or corrode i suspend it with four ratchets since it is rigid it doesn't sag much and it can be raised as the garden grows. easy to pull through as well.
Photo 4 22

I

Incognegro

nice...
i've really been considering whether or not to trellis/ net my vert grow. I usually just use bamboo stakes and maybe some twist ties, but have really thought about a vert trellis wall... have half done it b4, just not sure if it was worth the time.....

indonesia

indonesia

i used one continual piece of hemp and just wound it back and forth wrapping around the screws before going back across. to make the net action you just weave it over then under, but wrapping your roll of hemp around each string as you go so it makes somewhat of a knot so it actually stays in place instead of all your strings being loose. after its done go around with a hot glue gun where you wrapped the hemp around the screws and secure them. get the pvc fitting allowing you to remove the legs for easy storage. i can take the legs off and store it behind my tent or against any wall really. The photo of the finish piece was a little tall for the canopy i was seeking so i cut the legs down about a foot. i used to use bamboo as well but it got to be a pain tying up individual branches all the time. i have another cycle opposite of one in photo, its not terrible getting in and out as long as you dont stuff your space to the brim. i enjoy having space to get in and take care of things. mines small for personal medical purposes but here ya go hope it helps

IMG 0053
IMG 0059
Jboys3

Jboys3

i used one continual piece of hemp and just wound it back and forth wrapping around the screws before going back across. to make the net action you just weave it over then under, but wrapping your roll of hemp around each string as you go so it makes somewhat of a knot so it actually stays in place instead of all your strings being loose. after its done go around with a hot glue gun where you wrapped the hemp around the screws and secure them. get the pvc fitting allowing you to remove the legs for easy storage. i can take the legs off and store it behind my tent or against any wall really. The photo of the finish piece was a little tall for the canopy i was seeking so i cut the legs down about a foot. i used to use bamboo as well but it got to be a pain tying up individual branches all the time. i have another cycle opposite of one in photo, its not terrible getting in and out as long as you dont stuff your space to the brim. i enjoy having space to get in and take care of things. mines small for personal medical purposes but here ya go hope it helps
Love the fact you are tinkering on a 'Guest Check'...

Latest posts

Top Bottom