Trellis vs cage

• Thread starter hooot4
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hooot4

hooot4

First time grower enjoying the MANY challenges I've faced so far. My next challenge is to decide between putting up cages, or creating a structure for a trellis.
My ladies are in 30 galon pots & are currently 4 feet tall & around 2 feet wide. I'm in Northern California, so I'm guesstimating large plants 6 ft + tall.
In a perfect world with an unlimited budget, i would have probably gone with a 2 layers of cages. I would put one out now 5 ft tsll that is as wide as my 30 galon pots, and one during the first sign of flowering with the width of plant and probably 7 feet tall. With 7 plants, I am looking at $200-$300 or more.
A friend that grows smaller autos is adamant with using cages. My grow shop highly recommends a trellis. I will probably have to build the structure for the trellis using pvc pipes and something more which will probably cost me under $100.
Please let me know what has worked for you when growing large plants.
Thanks in advance

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I’ve done both ! On the same plant. Cage to support the inner branches and trellis to maximize the canopy

hooot4

hooot4

I’ve done both ! On the same plant. Cage to support the inner branches and trellis to maximize the canopy
Do you feel that there would be an issue if I only go with a trellis?
At what point in the growing process did you use the cage? Was the hight of the cage the same as the final hight of the plant? My issue is that a cage that will support the final hight of the plant is hard to find and much more expensive

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
I'm a yoyo kinda guy myself. Tried a bunch but just found my groove using yoyo supports

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Home Depot, cocreye
Do you feel that there would be an issue if I only go with a trellis?
At what point in the growing process did you use the cage? Was the hight of the cage the same as the final hight of the plant? My issue is that a cage that will support the final hight of the plant is hard to find and much more expensive
Home Depot, concrete wire they call it. Bend it into shape

mancorn

mancorn

Concur with Jack, I like the remesh panels (used for concrete). $8 for a 7’x42” panel. You can make two cages per panel that will hold up a 6’-8’ plant or use the whole 7’. Need to get them on early or it's almost impossible to get the cage around without tearing up the plant once it gets big. I typically zip tie the panel in a circle, but you can also leave it “open” for a wider cage. The holes are 6” so lots of room to access.
CC6BEF50 06C5 45F4 93F3 04C9B7DD920D

hooot4

hooot4

Concur with Jack, I like the remesh panels (used for concrete). $8 for a 7’x42” panel. You can make two cages per panel that will hold up a 6’-8’ plant or use the whole 7’. Need to get them on early or it's almost impossible to get the cage around without tearing up the plant once it gets big. I typically zip tie the panel in a circle, but you can also leave it “open” for a wider cage. The holes are 6” so lots of room to access.
View attachment 990550
Thanks a bunch. I'm not sure if it's too late for your recommendation. I like the idea of a structure to support the inner branches, & then a trellis a foot above where the 3.5' (7' / 2) cage ends. This way, I also avoid the need for 2 layers of trellis.
My plants are already as wide as the 30 galon pot. I will get measurements tomorrow to see if I can go the recommended route.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Reo mesh is good I’ve made mine so it hinged for better access when you need to get in .

cannon1

cannon1

Home Depot, cocreye

Home Depot, concrete wire they call it. Bend it into shape
These are often rusty right from the store. Is the rust an issue going forward and putting these in the soil?

Latest posts

Top Bottom