Trellising for dummies???

• Thread starter Caninobis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Caninobis

Caninobis

So i've got this idea of what i want my grow to look like, right, like we all do but i have this one little problem. When do I add the trellis? I've watched plenty of videos online and read plenty of information on them but no body seems to say WHEN you throw it in there.

I've currently got 1 plant about 5 weeks old since germination, give or take a couple days, and shes probably 13 inches tall with 3 actual tops, and another 2 side branches that i managed to help catch up to the tops so its got a pretty even canopy of what will hopefully be 5 tops. When do i add the trellis? Right before flower? Now? I have no clue.

Also, i've seen that 99% of people actually weave their branches through a couple different times as they grow and then some people just pull them through and use the net as support. I've also read that trellising probably shouldn't be attempted by the novice grower and i am most definitely a novice. So what do i do and how should i do it? I really want to go for a clean lollipopped plant that will fill out my 2X2X5 tent to max capacity and i feel the best way to achieve this is with a ScROG...

greenscholar

greenscholar

If your plant is staying where it is, I would trellis it sooner. But I usually let them get tall in my veg room than squash them way down in the flower room. All grower style and preference and I don't know where you read shouldn't be attempted my a novice grower but trellising is not hard.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So i've got this idea of what i want my grow to look like, right, like we all do but i have this one little problem. When do I add the trellis? I've watched plenty of videos online and read plenty of information on them but no body seems to say WHEN you throw it in there.

I've currently got 1 plant about 5 weeks old since germination, give or take a couple days, and shes probably 13 inches tall with 3 actual tops, and another 2 side branches that i managed to help catch up to the tops so its got a pretty even canopy of what will hopefully be 5 tops. When do i add the trellis? Right before flower? Now? I have no clue.

Also, i've seen that 99% of people actually weave their branches through a couple different times as they grow and then some people just pull them through and use the net as support. I've also read that trellising probably shouldn't be attempted by the novice grower and i am most definitely a novice. So what do i do and how should i do it? I really want to go for a clean lollipopped plant that will fill out my 2X2X5 tent to max capacity and i feel the best way to achieve this is with a ScROG...
To scrog I simply top at the height I want my net usually about 10-12 inches over the pot. Then as it grows I let the branches grow up through then tuck when they are long enough they will grow back up and again tuck when they are long enough. When the net is about 3/4 full flip to flower and keep tucking for the first week maybe 2 until the net is full.

My last grow was a cluster fuck because of a timer issue but this is about when I flip.

IMG 20190608 112414
Caninobis

Caninobis

To scrog I simply top at the height I want my net usually about 10-12 inches over the pot. Then as it grows I let the branches grow up through then tuck when they are long enough they will grow back up and again tuck when they are long enough. When the net is about 3/4 full flip to flower and keep tucking for the first week maybe 2 until the net is full.

My last grow was a cluster fuck because of a timer issue but this is about when I flip.

Ok, so I already FIMed her. I did it at like the 3rd or 4th node. This is what she looks like as of Monday. These pictures are kind of hard to see anything but she’s a bit bushier now. She will stay in place for her entire life cycle so should I just add it now or wait a little longer?

CB6D0788 1F8F 4FDB 9E63 C21C0622523D
5868D907 4BBF 4910 B551 4A2C406811F7

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok, so i already FIMed her. I did it pretty early at the 3rd or 4th

Ok, so I already FIMed her. I did it at like the 3rd or 4th node. This is what she looks like as of Monday. These pictures are kind of hard to see anything but she’s a bit bushier now. She will stay in place for her entire life cycle so should I just add it now or wait a little longer?

View attachment 908249View attachment 908250
Either way. New growth is pretty bendable so I usually wait until I have enough for the fist tuck. Mine is about 10" over the pot and I give about 6" past the net until I tuck.... Just find it easier. Once you tuck you will see more lateral growth from the lower nodes on that same branch so you will need to tuck those also as the grow. Once you have done it once you will get it. It's not hard and you can always pull back through and re tuck if your gentle. Don't panic if ya snap a stem just retuck and it will heal if the stem snaps enough and is what I call bleeding just put some tape on it if ya like to prevent infection. I use liquid Band-Aid lol. Only had to so it once.

Caninobis

Caninobis

Either way. New growth is pretty bendable so I usually wait until I have enough for the fist tuck. Mine is about 10" over the pot and I give about 6" past the net until I tuck.... Just find it easier. Once you tuck you will see more lateral growth from the lower nodes on that same branch so you will need to tuck those also as the grow. Once you have done it once you will get it. It's not hard and you can always pull back through and re tuck if your gentle. Don't panic if ya snap a stem just retuck and it will heal if the stem snaps enough and is what I call bleeding just put some tape on it if ya like to prevent infection. I use liquid Band-Aid lol. Only had to so it once.

ok cool. I was all ready to dive in to the world of trellis when I read that damn article saying novice growers shouldn’t even try. I’ve super cropped before so I’ve got some experience bending and breaking stocks without snapping them and from what you’re saying it seems like I’ll be doing even less then that when I’m tucking. I’m going to give it a shot tonight or tomorrow. Wish me luck! I’ll post pictures when I’m done so y’all can see your ancient teachings in action.

P.S.
How do you think she looks for 5 weeks since germ? Is she right on track or look like she’s growing slow?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

ok cool. I was all ready to dive in to the world of trellis when I read that damn article saying novice growers shouldn’t even try. I’ve super cropped before so I’ve got some experience bending and breaking stocks without snapping them and from what you’re saying it seems like I’ll be doing even less then that when I’m tucking. I’m going to give it a shot tonight or tomorrow. Wish me luck! I’ll post pictures when I’m done so y’all can see your ancient teachings in action.

P.S.
How do you think she looks for 5 weeks since germ? Is she right on track or look like she’s growing slow?
Not completed my first soil grow yet so hard to say but looks fine to me. My soil grow I had a buddy who needed to ditch plants for reasons so that's why I did a soil grow and they were already almost ready to flower when I got em. Maybe 2-3 week of veg I did

The ones in my hydro in the pic are 4.5 weeks from seed and about 3 weeks in the system. But hydro grows quite a bit faster. I'd say you on track

Last edited:
Caninobis

Caninobis

Not completed my first soil grow yet so hard to say but looks fine to me. My soil grow I had a buddy who needed to ditch plants for reasons so that's why I did a soil grow and they were already almost ready to flower when I got em. Maybe 2-3 week of veg I did

The ones in my hydro in the pic are 4.5 weeks from seed and about 3 weeks in the system. But hydro grows quite a bit faster. I'd say you on track

Wow. You went straight to hydro as a green farmer and didn’t quit after your first season? Impressive dude.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Wow. You went straight to hydro as a green farmer and didn’t quit after your first season? Impressive dude.
Yes but I have over 20 years doing aquatics and understand water and growing in water etc I feel pretty well. I used to grow a lot of aquatic plants, some of which where very difficult. I was one of a few ppl in North America to successfully breed Amano shrimp because they breed in fresh water and then require salt water and reaclimation back to fresh water as they morph, let me tell ya it's no easy feat. I wasn't your average hydro begginer and feel much more comfortable growing in hydro than soil.

Caninobis

Caninobis

Yes but I have over 20 years doing aquatics and understand water and growing in water etc I feel pretty well. I used to grow a lot of aquatic plants, some of which where very difficult. I was one of a few ppl in North America to successfully breed Amano shrimp because they breed in fresh water and then require salt water and reaclimation back to fresh water as they morph, let me tell ya it's no easy feat. I wasn't your average hydro begginer and feel much more comfortable growing in hydro than soil.

oh well that adds up then. You came into this with knowledge in the single most important ingredient for any living thing. Fucking water. That’s a handy thing to know. If I understood anything about water coming in to this I wouldn’t have had any problems this year!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

oh well that adds up then. You came into this with knowledge in the single most important ingredient for any living thing. Fucking water. That’s a handy thing to know. If I understood anything about water coming in to this I wouldn’t have had any problems this year!
Don't get me wrong there is no shortage of learning to do.... So much more to this.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
if you end up actually weaving branches you need to veg a little and wait for the tops to grow strait again. If not you will kill the yield. If you are just using it for support and spread the branches out a little trellis it day 1 if gonna be a tall plant and prob add another if not trellis it bout week 3-4.

Caninobis

Caninobis

@Aqua Man @cemchris well, I probably should have waited until after I put the trellis up to spark that joint but I didn’t so it isn’t the cleanest install but it’s doing the trick! Thanks for all your help guys. First pic is from when I installed it. 2nd pic is 5 hours later. She came back quick as heck!

BA5880F6 FB2F 45CE AFB9 646FBDC15337
A51CE8DF DD41 4FC0 A52A A0D2E569F139

Caninobis

Caninobis

Third level of trellis is in and I think I’ve finally got the installation down. First level looked like shit, second level was a little bit better, and the third level is about as good as it’s going to get as far as I can tell. If it wasn’t for you guys I would have never even utilized the fucking think so thanks for that.

What do you guys think? How’s it look for a first timer? Full disclosure; not actually my “FIRST” grow but it is my first time doing anything more then just watering and crossing my fingers.

385D46FD 9EFA 41E2 8A20 ECFDDFE41D41

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Third level of trellis is in and I think I’ve finally got the installation down. First level looked like shit, second level was a little bit better, and the third level is about as good as it’s going to get as far as I can tell. If it wasn’t for you guys I would have never even utilized the fucking think so thanks for that.

What do you guys think? How’s it look for a first timer? Full disclosure; not actually my “FIRST” grow but it is my first time doing anything more then just watering and crossing my fingers.

View attachment 918548
Looks like the buds will have a lot of support which is good. I tuck all mine on one net just to try to get an even full, wall to wall canopy. But it looks good man the more times ta do it the more you will be able to get a feel for it and the easier it will to get it full 👍

Caninobis

Caninobis

Looks like the buds will have a lot of support which is good. I tuck all mine on one net just to try to get an even full, wall to wall canopy. But it looks good man the more times ta do it the more you will be able to get a feel for it and the easier it will to get it full 👍

I was trying to do that but i think i'm using too big of a trellis. I think they're like 8 inch squares maybe if i remember correctly so i need a lot of new growth for each new tuck and by the time they got long enough to tuck they were too tough to keep bending. Or at least i thought so until the last time around when i decided to just go for it and it looked all ugly and f-ed up at first but it leveled out like normal. Its all just a learning curve i suppose.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I was trying to do that but i think i'm using too big of a trellis. I think they're like 8 inch squares maybe if i remember correctly so i need a lot of new growth for each new tuck and by the time they got long enough to tuck they were too tough to keep bending. Or at least i thought so until the last time around when i decided to just go for it and it looked all ugly and f-ed up at first but it leveled out like normal. Its all just a learning curve i suppose.
Yeah I didn't even like 4 inch and 3 is to small... 3.5" seems just right

Latest posts

Top Bottom