Trichome and Pistil Confusion... Explain to me

• Thread starter roncruiser
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr Bee

Mr Bee

I have the jewlers loupe. I'm checking everyday now because I know I'm close. I'm only checking the calyxes.

-Are those photos you posted here a Sativa dominant plant?
-Why are you waiting until 25% amber as opposed to say 10% amber?
-Have you grown this strain before?

I don't know exactly when to harvest. Barney's gives absolutely no details what to look for in the Trichomes when it's time to harvest. Publishing only a range of days is not good enough. Which is the only detail they provide for harvest. Which by the way 60 days is tomorrow. 60-70 days is the range Barney's published.

So how did you decide on 25% amber?
I would suggest you chop bits at different times e.g. 8 weeks 9 weeks 10 weeks and see what high you prefer. More Clearer trichomes (8 weeks)give you a more up high .(10 weeks) more amber gives a more body couchlock high and 9 weeks is a more even head and body high.take nugs at different times and see which high you prefer

roncruiser

roncruiser

I would suggest you chop bits at different times e.g. 8 weeks 9 weeks 10 weeks and see what high you prefer. More Clearer trichomes (8 weeks)give you a more up high .(10 weeks) more amber gives a more body couchlock high and 9 weeks is a more even head and body high.take nugs at different times and see which high you prefer

I hear what you're saying and I'll try and set myself up for harvesting parts of the plant at different times for my next grow.

My grow tent serves as my drying tent as well and because of my upcoming schedule I have to chop the plant all at the same time. For this grow.

Today is 60 days or ~8.5 weeks of flower.

Cloudytrichs

Cloudytrichs

I just harvested 8 days ago. On this particular strain it's 75% indica and 25% sativa. When the trichs are still clear you can harvest and get a more speedy high, cloudy trichs you get the intended buzz, good for anxiety and a relaxing feeling. If you wait for amber trichs,you end up with the "in da couch" high, just go to bed at that point. I do a double harvest, one cloudy trichs then 7 to 14 days do the lower harvest when amber for my night smoke. Works well.

roncruiser

roncruiser

I just harvested 8 days ago. On this particular strain it's 75% indica and 25% sativa. When the trichs are still clear you can harvest and get a more speedy high, cloudy trichs you get the intended buzz, good for anxiety and a relaxing feeling. If you wait for amber trichs,you end up with the "in da couch" high, just go to bed at that point. I do a double harvest, one cloudy trichs then 7 to 14 days do the lower harvest when amber for my night smoke. Works well.

@Cloudytrichs

Thanks!

Can you share a photo of your Trichomes On Harvest Day? Meaning what did the trichomes look like that prompted you to harvest 😀.
Sure its a combination of variables (stigma/pistil color, bract/calyx fullness, trichome color) but at least newbs can quantify trichome readiness based on a photo.

Maybe I haven't paid enough attention, but I believe its quite important to post photos of Trichomes On Harvest Day (TOHD). To say the least, a photo will help. I'm learning on the go 😊

roncruiser

roncruiser

Getting closer. I was going to harvest tonight. Decided to wait another day. Possibly two. Need some amber trichomes to appear.

PXL 20210217 231602908

PXL 20210218 022316470
PXL 20210217 231903055
PXL 20210217 231405259
PXL 20210217 231805153
PXL 20210217 231602908

Palindrome

Palindrome

Harvest day on 2-18-21.
Just enough amber. So, I chopped.

View attachment 1093387

On to drying and curing.
Nicely Done! If you want a nice reference for Cannabis check out Dr. Ernie Small's book: Cannabis: A Complete Guide. It's on Amazon for $70 Cdn. or $140 for hardcover (25% less in US dollars). He literally wrote the book on Cannabis; he was Canada's primary research scientist (botanist) working on Cannabis for multiple decades. This is not a breeding text, however.

C

chelseamac27

Get a jewlers loupe or a good glass, when all your trichome is milky you can chop, me i like at least 25% amber trichome, when you flush out 10 days before chop use cold water this will turn your pistols.
Beginner here as well. What is the reasoning behind using cold water to turn the pistols? I grow outdoors and always tend to use cold water, am I harming the plants at all by doing so?

Brownthumb

Brownthumb

U just teased us…great job and try a journal next time!!!

Palindrome

Palindrome

Beginner here as well. What is the reasoning behind using cold water to turn the pistols? I grow outdoors and always tend to use cold water, am I harming the plants at all by doing so?
Not to worry! You are good. Cold water doesn't do anything to "pistils" which are the overall female part of the plant (comprising of stigma, style, ovaries). He's referring to signaling the plant to shut down. You did well. Staging trichomes is easy - lots of stuff on the net. It goes from milky to amber fairly quickly so depending on the size of crop starting and ending of harvest are a combination of stages (determined by how long you take to harvest).

Latest posts

Top Bottom