Trichomes look ready?

• Thread starter HookedOnPonix
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HookedOnPonix

I am looking for mostly cloudy trichomes and I have ahard time telling. Do these look good to go?

Image9
Image10
Image11
Image12
Image13
Image14
H

HookedOnPonix

I see some amber colors in there, so I am going to assume yes. I am going for mostly cloudy.

H

HookedOnPonix

I am also wondering how quickly they will turn amber. I am looking to harvest it on Saturday but not so sure how quickly they will turn.

S

Sea Of Green

Looks pretty close to what you're after then. If the rest of the plant looks similar. Depending on the strain it might take longer than a couple days more to go almost totally milky. There probably won't be a whole lot more that've turned amber by Saturday anyways. I'm not sure on how quickly they start turning amber really. Probably depends on strain for the most part.

I like to let all of them, or as many as possible, get to the milky stage. Whatever's turned amber by then, which usually ain't much, is just collateral damage. Ya can't win 'em all...

:harvest:

H

HookedOnPonix

I'll just keep a close eye on them for the next few days. It will be exactly 8 weeks this Friday. Thanks for the input.

A

amstercal

These are all from leaves, right, not bud trichs? My personal experience, at least with the strains I've worked with, is that the calyx trichs turn faster than the leaf ones, and the tops of the plant buds turn faster than lower, so where you take your samples from will affect the answer. I'd say without knowing your strain, they look pretty good to go for Saturday. I'd strip a lot of the fans to get some light to lower bud sites, maybe even shorten the light cycle by an hour or two, if you want to push them a little.

H

HookedOnPonix

I took these pics from the leaves on top of the plant. I'll take a few pics tonight from different heights of the plant and see what I get. The strain is white widow and from what I've been reading people suggest putting them in 24-48 hours of darkness to increase trichome production. Sound about right? I'll be turning off the lights tonight. Thanks for the help.

JAWS

JAWS

there not ready and AMBER is a very good thing, AMBER being collateral damage
WOWWW.....
patience:hi

Dunge

Dunge

A few wider bud shots would be helpful.
The "done bud" look is a beautiful thing.

S

SLO Grown

Almost...Rule of thumb in the "ready" game. When you think they are ready wait one more week.

S

Sunbiz1

I have a hard time with some strains as well. Sometimes they appear cloudy from one angle and clear from another. I prefer the psychological effects(or a heady uplifting high)as opposed to the drowsy couch lock. With that in mind, I don't like to see a ton of amber before I harvest. Amber is actually the beginning signs of resin decomposition. I realize many growers like a lot of amber, but it's really a grower's choice.

When I'm in doubt, I quick dry a small bud and sample.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

One thing I did not see you post is how long they have been in flower for?

There are a few variables that can cause your plants to turn the trychs color. For example, the enviroment, one of the most important things of your grow. If the plants are getting hi swings in temps day/night it can cause the plant to go whacko. Another thing is the nutes/ph.

Are you doing your flush now or still feeding?

How many week's in flower>?

S

Sunbiz1

There are a few variables that can cause your plants to turn the trychs color. For example, the enviroment, one of the most important things of your grow. If the plants are getting hi swings in temps day/night it can cause the plant to go whacko. Another thing is the nutes/ph.

What do you mean by whacko?.

H

HookedOnPonix

They have been in flower for 8 weeks now. The temp is around 85 during the day and 80 at night. I've been keeping the ph around 6.1 (grown in bubble buckets) I've been flushing for a week and a half now. I actually prefer the head high, so I am going for mostly cloudy, with very few ambers.

H

HookedOnPonix

I have a hard time with some strains as well. Sometimes they appear cloudy from one angle and clear from another. I prefer the psychological effects(or a heady uplifting high)as opposed to the drowsy couch lock. With that in mind, I don't like to see a ton of amber before I harvest. Amber is actually the beginning signs of resin decomposition. I realize many growers like a lot of amber, but it's really a grower's choice.

When I'm in doubt, I quick dry a small bud and sample.

That is exactly my problem. It's hard for me to tell if their cloudy or clear at different angles. I'll go with your advice and quick dry a sample tomorrow.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

They look clear 2 me but the 2nd 2 last pic looks done.. Wait till most buds look like the 2nd 2 last pic.. But I like my weed super lazy Stoney.. Juss like the other poster said when they look done wait another week.. A also like the other poster said juss pick a bud & see if u like it.. I would let her go 9-10 weeks.. But some strains wont turn amber.. I got a White Fire OG strain that I let go 73 days waiting 4 it 2 turn amber & only about 8% turned amber.. The 73 day plant was juss as Stoney as the same strain I let got only 63 days.. So it's best 2 juss try a nug & see

S

Sunbiz1

I was doing some homework on the subject, and ran across the below comments. Any thoughts on this from all?. I ask b/c it is the reason I prefer harvesting before all the trichs turn opaque.

We are examining are the capitate stalked glandular trichomes, the coloration of these gland heads can vary between strains and maturity. Most strains start with clear or slightly amber heads which gradually become cloudy or opaque when THC levels have peaked and are beginning to degrade. Regardless of the initial color of the secretory cavity, with careful observation you should be able to see a change in coloration as maturity levels off.

Some cultivators wait for about half of the secretory cavities to go opaque before harvesting, to ensure maximum THC levels in the finished product. Of course nothing tells the truth more than your own perception, so try samples at various stages to see what is best for you & the phenotype your are growing. While you may be increasing the total THC level in the bud by allowing half of the glands to go opaque, the bud will also have a larger percentage of THC breakdown products such as CBN, which is why some people choose to harvest earlier while most of the secretory cavities are still clear.

S

Sunbiz1

Hmm, no thoughts on this topic?...I figured it would be more popular considering it's the most important aspect of getting high...lol.

singlespeed

singlespeed

I am in the same boat right now. I am at the 1 yard line(and getting ready SCORE!) I am at day 54. I am growing GDP and Super Skunk. I keep hearing that SS is a 7 week strain. The SS is cloudy and swollen, so I started flushing 2 days ago. I am letting the purple go a week or so more. I'll take some pictures tonight and enlarge them. I prefer to let mine go a bit longer...

Latest posts

Top Bottom