Tricomes turning white over night

• Thread starter TheC525
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheC525

Here in the east we have had some low (mid 40's) temps. The tricomes on my plants were clear two days ago and now they have turned completely white. Is this because of the low temps? I have never had them turn "overnight" like this before. I can't harvest because of the large amounts of rain we have recently had. Our weather should be clearing up by Wed. and I'm keeping an eye on things looking for amber. I'm hoping that my plants will be dried out enough by then to harvest without too much chance of mold.
Any thoughts on them going all white so fast? Any thoughts on how I should go about drying out water logged buds?

beluga

beluga

I wouldn't let rain stop you from harvesting. It's commonplace to wash outdoor buds after harvest anyway - just shake them off really well. Mold is gonna form whether the plant is in the ground or hanging to dry.
I'm on the east coast, too... not even in the mountains and it's forecast to dip down into the high 30s in the next few days... definitely could see some localized freeze and if you're not in some sort of greenhouse you'll want to chop them before that happens.

Can't speak on the sudden clouding of the trichomes. Possible the cool temps signaled the plant to start finishing up, but I'd let someone with more experience answer that.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Turning white overnight - not seen that before. Like the whole plant(s)? Pics?

R

Ready_set_g0

First time grower here in NJ, who came to look for advice on how to address mold with the heavy rains we've been getting for 3 days now. It's relentless. I have two plants, both that saw trichomes start turning cloudy a week and a half ago, but I didn't buy a loupe and really look until last Thursday. At that time I already saw some cloudy and even some amber happening. Today, it seems like I have an even mix of clear, cloudy and amber, so I don't really know what I'm looking at. Timing wise, I feel like this weekend is time to harvest, but I'm stressed about this rain and how to mitigate any mold impact as I move into drying.

beluga

beluga

First time grower here in NJ, who came to look for advice on how to address mold with the heavy rains we've been getting for 3 days now. It's relentless. I have two plants, both that saw trichomes start turning cloudy a week and a half ago, but I didn't buy a loupe and really look until last Thursday. At that time I already saw some cloudy and even some amber happening. Today, it seems like I have an even mix of clear, cloudy and amber, so I don't really know what I'm looking at. Timing wise, I feel like this weekend is time to harvest, but I'm stressed about this rain and how to mitigate any mold impact as I move into drying.
Outdoors is pretty tough in the mid-Atlantic/Northeast. I always anticipate ~25% loss due to rot, hoping for less. Sometimes it's more.
Prevention and removal are the name of the game with infections. There are foliar sprays containing bacteria that act as a natural defense that you can use as a preventative. Other than that, it's just a matter of removing every bit of molded bud you can and then some. I don't personally leave any room for error with mold - if a bud has a spot of visible mold, to me, that entire bud is infected with invisible mold until there is a natural break in the bud (stem). It burns real bad when your big, fat, main colas are the target of a fungus's affection. But it's where it happens most often.

As far as your plants readiness, I would be harvesting it ASAP. If you see a nice mix of cloudy and amber, it'll probably be the best you're gonna get before something else makes you pull the plug (rot getting out of control, freeze, etc.)

R

Ready_set_g0

After the 4 days of heavy rains, we had a beautiful day and so far no major issues that I can tell. Do trichomes on the sugar leaves normally turn amber before the calyx? I was looking at the leaves thinking it’s time to harvest but second guessing now after looking at the calyx.

D3ADFBED 0201 4DB4 9DF9 40D08158B4A1
1D3FD594 0EFD 458E A64C FDB8DAF69002
8BF851E2 97AB 4988 A882 BB875E662702
strider26554

strider26554

Here in the east we have had some low (mid 40's) temps. The tricomes on my plants were clear two days ago and now they have turned completely white. Is this because of the low temps? I have never had them turn "overnight" like this before. I can't harvest because of the large amounts of rain we have recently had. Our weather should be clearing up by Wed. and I'm keeping an eye on things looking for amber. I'm hoping that my plants will be dried out enough by then to harvest without too much chance of mold.
Any thoughts on them going all white so fast? Any thoughts on how I should go about drying out water logged buds?
Im in northern west virginia and my trichs have clouded up almost overnight, it actually took two nights but it was quick this year. Im attributing the rapid progression to the mix of clear days and very cool temps overnight. Ive seen it before but not quite this fast, it usually takes three or four days and night cycles of this type of weather to accomplish this..but im not complaining, Im hoping these things finish soon. and dont aorry if your buds are wet at harvest. If i get alot of debris sticking to my buds i will do a wash anyway to get rid of the gnats, pine needles and little silky puffballs that seem to stick to alot of my buds. Im beginning to wonder if the buds are feeding on the gnats..lol little venus flytraps.

Madmax

Madmax

After the 4 days of heavy rains, we had a beautiful day and so far no major issues that I can tell. Do trichomes on the sugar leaves normally turn amber before the calyx? I was looking at the leaves thinking it’s time to harvest but second guessing now after looking at the calyx.
Thats what you scope ,the calyx.it appears you have 3 weeks or more to go mate..looks good too..

R

rangabud

Yes the leaves will turn before calyx, don't judge by the leaves the will fool you only look at the bud itself.
Looking at them pics of the whole plants, yes you have a few weeks to go the pistols are still mostly white

growsince79

growsince79

Yes the leaves will turn before calyx, don't judge by the leaves the will fool you only look at the bud itself.
Looking at them pics of the whole plants, yes you have a few weeks to go the pistols are still mostly white
Someone just posted a study that basicly showed how dumb it is to determin harvest by scoping trichs. Example -I have a clone in week 6 flower now, trichs are peak potency, but the bud will double in size given another 2 weeks. I always try to harvest when the bud is ripe.

R

Ready_set_g0

Meaning you won’t harvest now when they are at peak but later after it doubles?

T

TheC525

Pics of trichomes from each plant, #1&2 are the same plant but taken several days apart. Frost warnings in the weather forecast, colder temps are causing color changes.
I may go ahead and harvest this weekend...

Flowers 1
Flowers 2
Flowers 3
Flowers 4
Flowers 5
Flowers 6
Flowers 7
A

AfghaniGuy

Amber is what you want.

Top Bottom