Trim->Kief->Oil

• Thread starter cctt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cctt

I'm thinking of going the intermediary-kief route in order to drastically reduce my butane consumption (I lack the equipment to do solvent recovery). As I also don't have access to reagent grade n-butane I would expect this to also result in a purer product.
My question is - has anyone done it this way and how did you find the resulting quality and yield compared to the direct trim->oil method?
Also - is enough butane to soak all the kief going to be sufficient - or will the solvent reach saturation and require more for a reasonably complete extraction?

Graywolf

Graywolf

We've extracted kif using chilled butane and soaking it in a thermos chilled to 0F. It makes a pretty product, though less floral and aromatic than oil extracted from fresh trim.

A good rule of thumb is that unless you change it with the process, the extract will smell and taste like a concentrated form of what you started with.

Yield is always higher with solvent extraction, because to get close to the same yield dry sieving or bubble hashing, would require beating it long enough that you would also extract loads of green plant material.

We have always gotten additional product with a second soak, even after a two hour first soak.

Top Bottom