trimming before harvest?

• Thread starter 420reaper
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420reaper

420reaper

Was curious about trimming the whole plant the night before harvest. I heard of people trimming the big fan leaves the night before.And then hang them to dry and finish trimming when dried.it seems it would be a whole lot easier just to trim it all the night before..Anyone ever try this?

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

There are no added benefits to the quality of the herb when doing a pre-trim. It does, however, break up the work of trimming, there is nothing wrong with doing it. The method you presented is perfectly fine, but I do agree with Cerebro, I do not like trimming my bud dry.

420reaper

420reaper

Yeah that was my point.Hate trimming dry as well.just seems much easier if i do it the night before...Thanks guys/gals:cool:

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

i always took the DJ short approach

leave the leaves on, it protects the buds while drying.

furthermore IMO not trying to get into a pissing match, ive just found that DRY trimming as much of a bitch canabout the be, brings out a lot more flavor and smell. i think its just cutting the leaves and flowers dry when they already have it, just stinks up the room.... but i guess makes me feel better sealing it with such a stench, as opposed hoping it comes in the cure. tried both ways, but i strongly believe in dry trimming and letting the plant FULLY do its thing until its ready. they arent done when you chop em down~!

waayne

waayne

i always took the DJ short approach

leave the leaves on, it protects the buds while drying.

furthermore IMO not trying to get into a pissing match, ive just found that DRY trimming as much of a bitch canabout the be, brings out a lot more flavor and smell. i think its just cutting the leaves and flowers dry when they already have it, just stinks up the room.... but i guess makes me feel better sealing it with such a stench, as opposed hoping it comes in the cure. tried both ways, but i strongly believe in dry trimming and letting the plant FULLY do its thing until its ready. they arent done when you chop em down~!

This^^^Classic Remix is right on point.

Trimming all the leaves off before the plant dries forces all the moisture out thru the flowers during drying which tends to reduce flavor and aroma.
Some of my OG's really lose flavor and aroma during drying if they are wet trimmed.....

Dry trimming may be more difficult ,but the finished product is worth the extra effort, if you're really trying to produce AAA+ herb......

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

This^^^Classic Remix is right on point.

Trimming all the leaves off before the plant dries forces all the moisture out thru the flowers during drying which tends to reduce flavor and aroma.
Some of my OG's really lose flavor and aroma during drying if they are wet trimmed.....

Dry trimming may be more difficult ,but the finished product is worth the extra effort, if you're really trying to produce AAA+ herb......

I have to say, in several experiments I actually found that drying with leaves still on has given my buds more of a green taste and aroma. I truly got better results when I dried the buds after a full trim. But this is easily accounted for by differences in drying environments. I do not use a fan in my drying space; I dry my buds in a space with good airflow on its own, therefore the buds dry out a bit slower and the flavors are retained better. So as we can see from these posts, there is no one correct way to trim, just plenty of incorrect ways to trim and cure.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

i too think those issues depend largely on your drying environment.

also just ran some wifi that didn't require trimming at all, just snipped a couple leaves under each bud on chop day, then hang til mostly dry, paper bag for a day or so, jar and burp. middle two steps took half the time compared to other varieties this round.

Bannacis

Bannacis

The last week before chop down I thin out the big fan leaves to alow more light into canapy.
when chop I trim most leaves off before I hang, no reason to leave leaves on to protect the bud...? they are just hanging and not being tossed about. you want even drying, so the moisture will evaporate off the buds slowly,drawing from inside out. extra leaf on bud will have the buds drying uneven.IME.

Chobble

Chobble

They remove all the fan leaves for ease really. The garden I work at we try to trim as much as we can fresh, as generally the bud that get's trimmed fresh has a better taste and smell (Chlorophyll and other nutrients don't leech into the bud from leaves). I trim all of my stuff fresh, if it isn't gonna get trimmed I dont cut it off the plant. The difference in quality between fresh and dried trimming is enormous in my opinion.

Chobble

Bannacis

Bannacis

no matter how you say it, the buds have moister in them whether you leave leaves on or not.
the moister will come out of the bud regardless. its about having the proper temp and humidity. a slow dry alows more chlorophorm to leave the bud..alas better taste.
Unless your drying room is sealed and completly temp/humidity controlled, you will have
various changes in your drying, change in weather and the different size of harvest and
the different strains, all that will factor in your how your bud finishes.

ImNorml

ImNorml

I don't trim a thing until after I cut. Always found trimming before to hurt my quality, and trimming after drying is too tedious for me.

J

John Ditchweed

any large leaves i haven't already pruned to let light in get removed about halfway through flush. not into the 'dry-trimming' thing though.

couldn't agree more it is much easier to me to cut all big fan leaves off before cutting the plants down. I start a few days before harvest and by the last day they are bare. Breaks the trimming time up almost to the point it doesn't seem like a burden. Sorry but trimming is only fun for the first hour or two after that it seems like a chore no matter how rewarding.

Top Bottom