Trimming bottom branches after bud sites have been established?

• Thread starter smokey_waters
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

smokey_waters

I've procrastinated (what's new), I'm at the end of wk. 3 of flower, thinking about cutting the bottom branches. Is it too late for the plant to convert the energy into making bigger buds up top? My concern is I will reduce my yield at this point if I cut them.

Thx,

B

benamack

i would cut them off now, i do it before they start bulking up, thats how you get giant buds. i did it once and my top were as big as 32 high life bottle!

OGONLY

OGONLY

Do it ASAP. Just don't do it all at once or you'll shock your plant. Do like 3 branches per plant per day. But do it earlier next time. Your yield will be less than if you'd have done it during week 1 and 2.

S

smokey_waters

my concern is vertical space. They can only grow another 8" and I'm under the impression that cutting the bottom branches (how far up btw??) will spur vertical stretching...

St3ve

St3ve

I've never experienced or heard of pruning lower branches causing more stretching.

mack 10

mack 10

^^ in some strains like skunk/cheese type's, when you trim the lowers off it will cause the head bud to stretch,causing a bigger bud. but you have to catch em, some people do it week 1 others week 2-3.just depends on your strain. try it out> M10.

BudGoggles

BudGoggles

I do it 3 time during flower and every time I hack off so much at once you would think it would shock them but it doesnt as long as there healthy. My last trim is right around week 3 so go to town on them suckers now and take of all the suckers and popcorn potential buds

PS I fill big garbage bags full every time I trim them and they never skip a beat

B

Buddy Hemphill

I do it 3 time during flower and every time I hack off so much at once you would think it would shock them but it doesnt as long as there healthy. My last trim is right around week 3 so go to town on them suckers now and take of all the suckers and popcorn potential buds

PS I fill big garbage bags full every time I trim them and they never skip a beat

thats me.

I cant seem to shock mine deleafing. And I have scalped those bitches before.

I can see it being strain dependent, though.

That being said...I try to have all the branches off by the end of week 2 on a 8 weeker...then just pull shitloads of fans to allow light penetration.

I get on a step ladder and look down at the plant from the angle the light is shining and make what I call "light tunnels'.down thru the foilage. Works nicely for me. I have an indica dom hybrid that LOVES deleafing.

I have also found that canopy depth is truly determined (within reason) by genetics. I have a strain that larfs out if my canopy is more than 12-14"s thick. I also have a Blue Sat2.2 that makes rock hard nugs all the way down to the bottom ....almost regardless of light penetration. I only deleaf her and remove the very most inside/low budsites.

Try pruning them with small differences from plant to plant and it may give you some clues on how to best manipulate your strain...thats what I did...just played until I found their sweet spot.

S

smokey_waters

Update: trimmed bottom branches over two day period. Also gave 25ml silica each day. Gonna delay the feeding one day to let them recover. Not sure if this is actually the right thing to do, just playin a hunch.

ps. too late too trellis? I just realized I have horizontal lighting and plants will grow another 6-8" so should I go for it??? I'll be at wk 4 flower of 9 wk cycle tomorrow.

St3ve

St3ve

ps. too late too trellis? I just realized I have horizontal lighting and plants will grow another 6-8" so should I go for it??? I'll be at wk 4 flower of 9 wk cycle tomorrow.

I would still do it. I will never grow without a screen again when lighting horizontal. If I can see light getting through the canopy, or too much crowding then I know I'm doing it wrong.

That is unless I'm doing alot of plants in a SOG or LSTing or something..

Latest posts

Top Bottom