Trimming foliage after switching to flower ?'s

• Thread starter JDMF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JDMF

JDMF

Hi all.
I have a ? about cutting off branches and trimming foliage after switching to flower. I have been told that trimming can shock the plant once it is in flower and it can revert or produce seeds, so how do I go about this to provide my plants with the best outcome? Please let me know if I need to explain it differently.

R

ritoMox

Are you growing from bag seed? I just recently (yesterday) found out why 3 of my 1986 closet grow plants hermed on me. The plants were from bag seed and my buddy defoliated all 3 a couple of weeks after they started flowering and they all hermed. I never knew why until reading on another site about defoliating in flower. It also seems that those buds that I got the seeds from were hermi stock as all of the seeds I dropped and several friends dropped from those same buds were all female. So the source of your seeds is gonna play a big role in how well your plants tolerate various stressors.

JDMF

JDMF

Are you growing from bag seed? I just recently (yesterday) found out why 3 of my 1986 closet grow plants hermed on me. The plants were from bag seed and my buddy defoliated all 3 a couple of weeks after they started flowering and they all hermed. I never knew why until reading on another site about defoliating in flower. It also seems that those buds that I got the seeds from were hermi stock as all of the seeds I dropped and several friends dropped from those same buds were all female. So the source of your seeds is gonna play a big role in how well your plants tolerate various stressors.
Cool thanks,
I have 4 plants that are from bag seeds but the rest came from seedsnow.com fuel dog and bubba kush freebies and Do Si Dos. All are said to be feminized.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

In my experience, defoliation bit by bit (slowly) in flower has no negative effect. Once my plants are large enough, I start trimming lower fans/branches as I lollipop the plant for flower. I start it while they are still veg but it's not enough usually as the plant matures. You'll want to open up the airflow through the center of the plant and I will keep removing leaves and sucker branches through out the flower cycle. The difference is, I'm never taking much off in any pruning session. It's a little at a time and it continues to about mid flower sometimes.

I prune leaves in this order. Lower leave that are fading or other-wise unhealthy, lower inner leaves growing towards the main stem, and then lower branching that will never produce anything more than larfy bud.

freezeland2

freezeland2

In my experience, defoliation bit by bit (slowly) in flower has no negative effect. Once my plants are large enough, I start trimming lower fans/branches as I lollipop the plant for flower. I start it while they are still veg but it's not enough usually as the plant matures. You'll want to open up the airflow through the center of the plant and I will keep removing leaves and sucker branches through out the flower cycle. The difference is, I'm never taking much off in any pruning session. It's a little at a time and it continues to about mid flower sometimes.

I prune leaves in this order. Lower leave that are fading or other-wise unhealthy, lower inner leaves growing towards the main stem, and then lower branching that will never produce anything more than larfy bud.
Always a work in progress

JDMF

JDMF

Awesome explanation. Thank you! I will try that out.

Top Bottom