trimming leaves during flower stage. bad or good?

• Thread starter vangs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
vangs

vangs

is it stressful or harmful or just straight up bad to trim the leaves off the plants while their flowering?? and im not talking about the huge fan leaves that you trim to let light in. im talking about the hash leaves that grow in between the buds. i heard that its bad for the plants and ive heard that its good to do...

kendog000

kendog000

Im with them, why would you take the smaller sugar coated leaves off? While ur girls are doing their thing in flower, you want the least amount of stress possible so they perform at the top of their game. Tis all about happy hunnies, just like the women in our lives hahaha

Ken

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

imo, those leaves are a direct energy source for your buds, not only do they store carbs and other beneficial nutrients but they still photosynthesize throughout your plants life. by limiting the leaves on your plants (smaller vigorous ones), your limiting what the plant can absorb, which will limit what the plant can produce. Im even finding that leaving those sugar leaves on while drying makes a huge difference compared to a day-by-day dry on a wet trim. crazy right?
think i might of helped ya out
Z
ps, yes it does cause stress.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I am a firm believer that removing good leaves is counter productive to the growth of your plant. The reason for this is simple, leaves are the motors that run your plant, so take them off and you have less power driving growth. It's that simple. Damaged leaves are OK to remove, and you can tuck others in so they are not covering buds.

The leaves have stomata on them and they open and close depending on temp and humidity, they drive the plants growth so cutting them off is not the best thing to do.
173122main photosyn
Stomata 5
Shuaiibphotoco2
View attachment 288417

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

while everyone is judging the growth of the plant, i will step out and tell you your herb will be ten times better if you dry trim. My honest experience in my time with herb.... which isnt a lot compared to you old farts but for someone in his late 20's i feel equipped to say i have had more shittier tasting nugs (not just from me but everywhere) that were wet trimmed compared to dry. if your concern is growing a plant, then yeah its done when you chop it down.

if your concerned about growing really good herb, the trim and cure is one of the most if not THE most important part of the "grow".... after the plant is dead. think about it.

clipping all of that off with fuck everything up IMO. it'll still get you high sure, but uneven drying and growing, who knows how trimming the plant will stress it, but i dont trim ANYTHING wet, its pointless IMVHO unless your making wax and need fresh frozen....but then just use the whole plant. haha.

the plant grew perfectly fine in the wild, its not broken dont try and fix it!

and to agree with everyone, trimming fan leaves (this is obviously different than skirting/lollipop) that have perfect visible light.... let me give you an analogy...

you use your legs to run, right? well thats not the only thing that will keep you going. so how would you plan to run a marathon, with you mouth zipped shut and you cant eat? if you can get around that question, apply that to trimming the leaves off during growth..... and we should have a nobel piece prize for cannabis then.

bongstar

bongstar

Actually. I have a different opinion. Water leaveas block sun and steal nutes from the plant. And as far as stress is concerned it is great for your plant in the end of its life. The harder it works the better.

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

okay and let me tell you why that is BS right there.

because "water" leaves are where nutrients are stored and burnt, just like the plant. "water" leaves as you are trying to call them, is what gives them the strength to grow bigger, its not through the "flowers" themselves that the light makes big. its oxygen, nutrient, water absorption.

steal nutes from the plant? those leaves your referring to taking off ARE THE PLANT. furthermore, YOU DONT WANT NUTES IN YOUR FINAL PRODUCT. you want all those leaves to suck every bit of bs out of all those nugs for you, why make work harder for yourself?

just like flushing, its stress at the end of its life that will/could change it drastically. if all you want to do is grow nugs, its done at the chop and trim away. if you want to grow actual good medicine, the weed is about half done when you chop.

i would think the easier it works the better, but thats just my opinion.... working smarter not harder is my way... i must be crazy!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I do remove leaves, but 90% of the time, I do it for better air flow and to reduce the chance of mold/mildew. Thats because sometimes the leaves get bunched up together and transpire on each other, which causes wet spots on the leaves. So I'll pluck 1 or 2 so that doesn't happen.

The other 10% I remove if a big leaf is blocking multiple bud sites, but thats not often and only done to make it easier for the bud sites to grow evenly so I have a relatively flat canopy.

MIKEZILLA

MIKEZILLA

Nice thread....Just what I was looking for...was considering trimming a little bit of this....but after reading some good arguments in this short thread it makes more sense not to trim....therfore I will not. It is just starting to look a little crowded and i still have bout 6 weeks or so to go

D

Drocker13

I know this is an old post but I felt it needed to be a little more in depth. Everyone has their opinions and that's all this is. But truly you shouldn't remove any leaves once you start flowering, this is a technique for vegetative state. Anytime you remove leaves it gives a boost to it's veg cycle even if it's started flowering (except right before you harvest, ex pre-trim.) This is why you always hear people say not to cut leaves once it's begun flowering. So just always plan ahead about a month before the plant should be harvested give it that last large trim to prepare your bud sites

G

grassmania22

is it stressful or harmful or just straight up bad to trim the leaves off the plants while their flowering?? and im not talking about the huge fan leaves that you trim to let light in. im talking about the hash leaves that grow in between the buds. i heard that its bad for the plants and ive heard that its good to do...
  • Low-down branches that receive little sunlight
  • Leaves that are dying off because of lack of light
  • Bud sites that are low down and don’t receive a lot of light
those are the only reasons you should trim your leaves

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I trim some of the larger bud leaves off, but not the smaller ones that are part of the bud itself. Getting more light onto the growing points will increase your yield and stuff, but the leaves also make the energy that the buds use, so it's a fine line. If it's a fan leaf AND it's blocking light from a significant part of the plant, then I would remove it. If it isn't blocking the light for anything or is part of the bud (no stem), then I would let it alone. It's a balance and each leaf taken off is a unique decision based on the benefits VS non benefits of that particular leaf. Moving the plants or new growth can change this frequently, so keep vigilant! Keep up the good work!

W

wrecker4020

Yoo Vangs, I think that if you remove the ones in between you’ll get FULL nugs yunno?

Gemini

Gemini

I know this is an old post but I felt it needed to be a little more in depth. Everyone has their opinions and that's all this is. But truly you shouldn't remove any leaves once you start flowering, this is a technique for vegetative state. Anytime you remove leaves it gives a boost to it's veg cycle even if it's started flowering (except right before you harvest, ex pre-trim.) This is why you always hear people say not to cut leaves once it's begun flowering. So just always plan ahead about a month before the plant should be harvested give it that last large trim to prepare your bud sites

Gemini

Gemini

Out of all that
That is what I neeeded thank you
Have one 5 weeks In flower I didn’t take anything off before hand just wondering if I was suppose to even if she is good and healthy

Top Bottom