Trimming Question

• Thread starter alvatron
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

alvatron

Hello,

I've been having "Chunky Fox Tail" buds lately and I was wondering how does one goes about to trim it?

For now, I've been digging into the buds and trimming every long leaf down off, at the end, my buds look like a leafless pine cone shape, but with lots of fox tail buds pointing out. Kinda remind me of those candy store with all the lollipops sticking out and saying "buy me, suck me".

But seriously, trimming like this is taking me and my crew a very long time.

It's a Sour Diesel, grown in my DIY UC, indoor, running AN nutrients.

Will post the pics later, kinda late and stone high....

KK, here is some pics,

The first one is the bud freshly cut from the tree and the second & third is the bud after it's been trim. Still have some leaf on it, but it took me about 30 mins to trim it, because I had to dig deep with my scissor and then use my finger to get those deeper leaves that is in between the chunky buds.

Thanks for any tips.

IMG 3408
IMG 3411
IMG 3413
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
bump...

I have a sour strain doing the same,,,I need tips too.

How tight should this shit be trimmed?

here is a shot of mine

Sourtsunamic3
A

alvatron

wow, 70 views and still no advices on trimming these chunky delicious skunky lemoney lime buds.

D

DazedNconfussed

I had the exact same bud structure on a few of my Cali Connect Jamaican OG's....Pain in the ass for sure....I did the same, snipped the leaf's deep down....I played hell at the disp's, they acted like there is something low quality about foxtails...said it was fluffy...well the foxtails were rock hard, just air between foxtails from trimin all the leaf....bunch of bull shit....

I ended up tossing those pheno's, even though they were great, nice potency and smelled like cherry candy, just too much effort triming and too much drama at the clubs to unload.

I am not recomending you toss yours, not saying foxtail buds are any lower quality then cookie cutter rock hard indica boring buds...its just what made sence in my situation....I think foxtailed buds are bad ass...gives them personality...

K

kolah

I do not care how a bud looks, it's all about a smooth smoke and a nice high. I like to trim wet and when trimmimg my buds I leave as much trichromes on as possible. After I trim I shape them by compressing them gently. IMO, the hell with dispensaries that judge buds on appearance.

A

alvatron

Thanks for all of your comments,

I don't like to deal with dispensaries, as they are in the market to buy low and re-sell it high to make a profit for them. They will try to talk down your buds to buy it low and re-sell it back to patients for a high price. Only idiot who are desperate for money will sell their hard earn buds that low to them. As soon as I put my extra meds out in the market it goes by fast at a higher donation price.

I personally think that chunky fox tail bud has more THC coverage than tight/fluffy buds, resulting in better presentation. Also the fact that I can pick them like grape and stuff it into my bowl, instead of grabbing a section of the buds and then grinding it down.

With tight buds, most of the time, the leaves are so stack tight against each other that the THC can't develop in between the leaves. resulting in lower THC content, but I can wrong, just my theory and experience.

That's just my opinion and what I have experience in the past with tight/fluffy buds.

R

Richard1Neko

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to save trimmings? I wanna save them and try to make hash after I harvest. Can I just collect them in a box and let them dry out?

T

treehugger

I had the exact same bud structure on a few of my Cali Connect Jamaican OG's....Pain in the ass for sure....I did the same, snipped the leaf's deep down....I played hell at the disp's, they acted like there is something low quality about foxtails...said it was fluffy...well the foxtails were rock hard, just air between foxtails from trimin all the leaf....bunch of bull shit....

What they [the dispensaries] know, is that in this day and age, heavily fox tailed bud is generally indicative of overuse of PGR's (plant growth regulators) by inexperienced growers. Such bud is generally bunky and well-warrants it's low reputation and the skepticism of buyers.

T

treehugger

I do not care how a bud looks, it's all about a smooth smoke and a nice high. I like to trim wet and when trimmimg my buds I leave as much trichromes on as possible. After I trim I shape them by compressing them gently. IMO, the hell with dispensaries that judge buds on appearance.

GAggH!

(omg, is that a new ghetto-trimpro treatment?)

R

Resin

save them in a bag, dried... then run a Butane Extraction or turn it into ice hash :)

Danoid

Danoid

I always save it dried in a paper sack in the freezer. I try to never store stuff in plastic bags when it goes in the freezer to prevent condensation/freezer burn. Then when you get enough saved it is Butter time.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
What they [the dispensaries] know, is that in this day and age, heavily fox tailed bud is generally indicative of overuse of PGR's (plant growth regulators) by inexperienced growers. Such bud is generally bunky and well-warrants it's low reputation and the skepticism of buyers.

You may be right. I am a newbie.
all my strains foxtailed to a certain extent. Even the Green crack
Im pretty sure It was something I did to em. But
I don't use "plant growth regulators" I don't even know what those are.
My grow was super simple....just feed em fox farm nutes

I don't want foxtails again. Can I prevent it?

ShutUpDonny

ShutUpDonny

I second Ken - What the hell are PGRs?

(...Says the obvious rookie)

Onespark

Onespark

Lol. Ok guys. Your buds look great. You have to take the time to trim out all those fan leaves just like you are doing. Foxtails don't scare me. Not like I am going to smoke that and complain about it afterwards :sun... Just think about the smiles when people get a taste of that love.... If you don't want your buds to look like that you have to look at environment first and genetics second.

On PGR's - plenty of different things out there to boost certain stages of growth and maintain health in plants. Read some grow threads to see all the different options to try.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

The PGR's that treehugger was talking about are things like Phosphoload, Gravity, Bushmaster and FlowerDragon. There is a good thread on them here.

PGR's

Here's what I know about Foxtailing.

Some strains are more prone than others. Heat issues can also cause foxtailing. Even though your room temps may be good, check the leaf temps with a Laser Thermometer. I just picked one up on advice of a few people because I had some foxtailing issues on my last run. I have also seen where certain nutrients will cause it on certain strains.
Example: A good friend runs 3 different strains OG, PK, and Banana OG. His Banana OG will foxtail everytime he uses Overdrive but none of the other strains will.

Hope you find out what the source is. I HATE trimming foxtailed bud....seriously a pain in the butt.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Lol. Ok guys. Your buds look great. You have to take the time to trim out all those fan leaves just like you are doing. Foxtails don't scare me. Not like I am going to smoke that and complain about it afterwards :sun... Just think about the smiles when people get a taste of that love.... If you don't want your buds to look like that you have to look at environment first and genetics second.

On PGR's - plenty of different things out there to boost certain stages of growth and maintain health in plants. Read some grow threads to see all the different options to try.

Good post Onespark...Thanks

Top Bottom