Tropf Blumat questions

• Thread starter iscrog4food
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
iscrog4food

iscrog4food

So I have been doing some research on these blumat systems but I have a few questions I was hoping that someone with experience could help with.

1) If I am planning to grow trees in 27 gal totes how many of these things should I use per tote? I am a bit confused about the "Satelites" ect as I have never actually seen a system running.

2) How do you switch from nutes to plain water during your runs. I currently use nute nute water schedule in my coco/perlite mix and I was hoping to do something similar with the bluemat. Is this possible or do I just have to reduce the nute strength by adding water?

3) I realize that the system is gravity fed but how does that work if you have a 55 gallon drum as a res? Do I have to install a uniseal or bulkhead fitting of some sort? Also if you use a low profile res do you need to put a hole in it or just make sure it is higher than the buckets you are feeding?

4) does anyone have any tips on automating these things? I am considering buying one for a patient of mine who is very busy but I dont want to waste his money or my time if I could learn from someone who has already been down this road.

Thanks farmers

R

RMCG

1) A few of the large ones, not the 'juniors'. The satellites can extend out the water line for better coverage. 27g tote is pretty big.

2) Check out leadsled's fertigation controller in the DIY section. Multizone/valves on a schedule with 2 reservoirs.

3) Pump water up to a smaller elevated res (5g bucket?) and use a float valve on it. Don't need to elevate 55g drum.

4) Q2 + Q3 = Auto If you want to further automate, check my Doser DIY.

Check Lazyman's Headbanger thread and the Blumat thread if you haven't already:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=168101&page=65

Blumat Tips:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4483333&postcount=1295

K

kushtrees

So I have been doing some research on these blumat systems but I have a few questions I was hoping that someone with experience could help with.

1) If I am planning to grow trees in 27 gal totes how many of these things should I use per tote? I am a bit confused about the "Satelites" ect as I have never actually seen a system running.

Get the blumat maxis if ur using big pots. The satalite things kinda suck imo I used to use 2 maxis to a 10 gallon smart potnbut I think 3 would have worked better.

2) How do you switch from nutes to plain water during your runs. I currently use nute nute water schedule in my coco/perlite mix and I was hoping to do something similar with the bluemat. Is this possible or do I just have to reduce the nute strength by adding water?

I had an elevated 40g res with a non elevated 100g res w/ float valve and pump. When I wanted to add only water for a weekly flush just empty with a pump then pump in water. Having no water in the res for a min doesnt hurt a thing the drp just stops

3) I realize that the system is gravity fed but how does that work if you have a 55 gallon drum as a res? Do I have to install a uniseal or bulkhead fitting of some sort? Also if you use a low profile res do you need to put a hole in it or just make sure it is higher than the buckets you are feeding?

They come with a little bulk head that u attach to the bottom of ur res that fits their tubing. elevate the res above the pots they have the specifications for how much hight to distance somewhere on the site its been awhile since ive used mine except for my outdoor garden n thats wiht a hose

4) does anyone have any tips on automating these things? I am considering buying one for a patient of mine who is very busy but I dont want to waste his money or my time if I could learn from someone who has already been down this road.

They take like a week to get dialed in correctly, theres a little adjuster on each dripper, you have to kinda play with it till u get the right moisture. Ive had issues with enymes in the drip lines cuz of slime build up which can clog the drip, a little pinch usually fixes this but I got sick of that and I like my enzymes. make sure you have a some sort of back up incase u set them too high.

First time using I had one that didnt stop for a day (I set the drip too loose) n it just kept the pot soaked lots of water everywhere so make sure you dont set em so they drip too much as they wont stop unless u readjust. The whole purpose of these things is to keep the medium moist w/ little to no run off. water water flush is a good idea i flushed weekly and used weaker strength nutes (GH 6/9) to compensate for the lack of salts being flushed from run off. The reason I stopped using them was because for me it was easier to just do a timed drip DTW and I wasnt sure they would work as well with the HG line.

Lots of great growers use them theres a whole thread at IC about em I believe edit: there is! its linked in the post before!

Thanks farmers

Hope this helps!

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

Awesome guys thanks for the replies. I am gonna read up on the links tomorrow afternoon. The DIY links look good at a glance. Also the 5 gallon mini res is a great idea! Thanks again and + rep for all replies.

Top Bottom