Trouble with keepin Temps in check

• Thread starter Capfan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capfan

Capfan

Hey guys, temps with a 1/4 Chiller around 70-72, i use tea and add about 10 gallons to 100-120 Gallons

i did check the temps in the room and it seems to be about 73 -

I run c02 and put my thermostat at 85, i took it down to 80, and that helped bring water temps down ..

------

I currently have my chiller running in the epicenter recycling on its own pump - my question is, (i am buying the plumbing to do this today )

if i add the chiller to the magdrive pump, all water will be forced to go through the chiller, sometimes i feel the pump that is just recyling isnt getting it all ...

In my head? =P

the ultimate solution would be to up my chillers, and i will in the next round...Just lookin for a quick fix in the middle of a run ;)

G

GeneticFreak

Are your buckets insulated? If not that will probably get you where you wanna be. Insulate the tops and the sides. Also run the chiller using the mag drive through the chiller and into the epi.

Capfan

Capfan

Just an update fella's, i scrapped the recycling pump that was on the chiller, Only pump is the mag drive > Chiller > Epi ....Got my temps down to 68 and stable

ttystikk

ttystikk

I've found that the temps of my 5 gallon RDWC systems actually varies during the day cycle. Low 60s at lights on, a gradual warm-up to 70 or so at lights off, cool and repeat. Plants, water, environment all seem happy...

G

GeneticFreak

So do you have your buckets insulated? Also you say your waters at 68degrees. Is that what your chillers set at? The reason I'm asking is that insulating your buckets will make your chiller run far more efficient. Making it possible to keep your settings on your chiller to be within a few degrees of your actual water temp. For instance if your holding 68 with lights On and your chillers set at 60. You may have really cold water come lights out and your losing efficientcy. Which means losing money.

G

GeneticFreak

I ran 1/4 hp with 140 gallons with insulated buckets and kept temps within 4 degrees. So there's hope. I just saw that your mid run. Good to hear you see your temps down.

Capfan

Capfan

Chiller at 66, temps 68, 26 / 41 are insulated.. i know i know, im slackin!

Capfan

Capfan

I have a thread below of the room, quite the battle, but im sure ive got ahold!

ttystikk

ttystikk

So do you have your buckets insulated? Also you say your waters at 68degrees. Is that what your chillers set at? The reason I'm asking is that insulating your buckets will make your chiller run far more efficient. Making it possible to keep your settings on your chiller to be within a few degrees of your actual water temp. For instance if your holding 68 with lights On and your chillers set at 60. You may have really cold water come lights out and your losing efficientcy. Which means losing money.

Why is a change in water temps a bad thing? I believe I'm actually seeing things work better than if I tried to hold exactly one temp at all times. Soil warms during the day, speeding metabolism, and clogs at night, inhibiting certain pests. Why not in my RDWC?

To those who suggest insulating buckets, I agree. This amounts to reducing the load the chiller sees and directly leads to efficiency gains.

G

GeneticFreak

Well in my example I wasn't very extreme. But if you set your chiller at 40 F to reach 68. I would imagine it might not be the best thing for your plants. I don't have data to back this up I'm only speculating. I personally like to keep things from drastically swinging period. Water temps environment temps I think should be within reason.

babyhughie586

babyhughie586

My water temp has been as high as 73 in veg.. With Caps bennies and 70-73 degree water they have been growing better with the high temps and bennies than with 68 and sterile... No Lie, check my thread if u dont believe me...

babyhughie586

babyhughie586

WHOOOAAAAA WAIT A MINUTE!!! How much Tea are you adding to your system??? 10gallons of tea for 100gallons of water!!???!! That is WAAAAY to much... you should only be giving them 1gallon of tea for every 50 gallons of water.. So if u have 120gallons of water you should only be adding 3 gallons of tea MAX....

Edit... cap recomends 1 cup of tea for every 5 gallons of water, so if you have 120 gallons that would be 1.5 gallons...

Capfan

Capfan

You sure its to much ? its just a few handsfuls of EWC, about half a tablespoon of ZHO and 120 ML aqual shield, brewed for 2 days.

babyhughie586

babyhughie586

ohhh i thought you were using Capulators Bennies... im not sure about that stuff.. I know cap reccomends MUCH less though

ttystikk

ttystikk

Well in my example I wasn't very extreme. But if you set your chiller at 40 F to reach 68. I would imagine it might not be the best thing for your plants. I don't have data to back this up I'm only speculating. I personally like to keep things from drastically swinging period. Water temps environment temps I think should be within reason.

It would take a big chiller to effect such a drastic temperature change in an RDWC holding 40 gallons plus of water. That's a lot of heat to move. The main point about big swings is well taken, however.

And yet, I believe small, even daily variations can have benefits. That's why I let my pH swing a bit instead of locking it in place.

Latest posts

Top Bottom