Trouble with roots excelurator in bubble cloner

• Thread starter vertstyle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

vertstyle

I use a bubble cloner (container with water and airstones, clones held in lid by neoprene pucks.

Air temp is in the 70's
Water temp 75f with a fishtank heater
Humidity 70% RH
A single 23 watt cfl as light.
Stem tip is under water.

I used to run tap water (40ppm) with hydrogen peroxide and got rooting in 4-10 days usually.

I mixed it up this time with tap (40 ppm) and house and garden roots excelurator.

It's been 2 weeks now.
Out of 12 total clones...
2 put out one good string of roots 6" long, but then they haven't put out any new roots. 1 is still in the cloner, the other I put into net pots in a dwc but it isn't fairing well.
2 a few tiny roots.
2 died.
The other 6 are alive but not doing much.
A few of them got tons of root bumps, but the bumps were kind of sharp and grainy looking. They weren't the normal bigger smooth round ones I'm used to seeing. Most of them haven't done anything more and the bumps got brown and crusty. The ones with roots started bright white but have turned light brown. They wash up a little whiter but not bright white like they were when new.

I added some to my dwc veg setup (water temp 65f) and it put out a bunch of white roots, then they slowed and also turned light brown. The plants are good and healthy, I'm just not seeing the 'awesome explosion' of roots everyone talks about. Kind of sucks for how expensive the stuff was.

Maybe the dwc is the problem? Does roots excel need a medium to thrive in?

IPlay4Keepz

IPlay4Keepz

just curious... did the part of the clone thats under water develop a slimy film around it? -Keepz

B

budgrower

Some foods and stimulants dont work at all when bubbled and I think roots excel is one of them

purpleberry

purpleberry

I used it and hygrozyme in my power cloner and got alot of slimey brown roots. I switched to just hygrozyme with much better results. I wouldnt use the root excel in there again. Do people use this in hydro setups?

V

vertstyle

just curious... did the part of the clone thats under water develop a slimy film around it? -Keepz

No real slime, I know what you mean as I've had that before. The roots excel is brown and a little slimy and tends to stick to the roots and walls of the cloner.

hmmmm. go back to your original method.

75 degrees is pretty high and will lead to pythium or slime

roots excel does not work well with bubbles

I agree, going back to original method. 75f is high and will definitely lead to slime and pythium but the hydrogen peroxide takes care of that. I tried everywhere from 60f to 85f in 5 deg intervals and 75f rooted the fastest.

I used it and hygrozyme in my power cloner and got alot of slimey brown roots. I switched to just hygrozyme with much better results. I wouldnt use the root excel in there again. Do people use this in hydro setups?

I've heard of people using it with hydro, and HG lists it in their nutrient schedule for their hydro nutes. I'm not really impressed with it so far though.

T

txhunter

I have used this Roots Excelurator with the same luck but in my hydro mags they show an explosion of roots. Its been a year and i am still trying different recipes.

V

vertstyle

Gave it a try again, this time with 1 drop per gal of roots excel, about 1/10th the recommended amount.
1/2 drop gal superthrive.
No fishtank heater (water temp 72f).
Air temp 76f.
No hydrogen peroxide, but will if I see any slime.
Bottled water this time.

I've got a few showing roots now.

I also added some of the roots excel to some clones in peat pucks, I'm hoping it will work better there. So far it's a waste of $80.

R

robeartobrenton

hey guys, check out my thread on roots excel - maybe i can get some advice

Top Bottom