True BB hermi male

• Thread starter purpleberry
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
purpleberry

purpleberry

Im 3 weeks in on 10 true BB F2s, I only got 2 males and I really only wanted the males, they look nice, already showing color, One of them went hermi on me and I almost chucked it. I decided to take a look in DJ book and he said.
" Backward hermaphrodites are declared males that eventually sport femlae flowers. these are rare occurences , ussaly sterile but sometimes viable, that i found to be genetically valuable. Many resinous and desirable males exhibit this trait, which almost guarantees against unwanted hermaphroditism in subsequent generatins as it also increases the female to male ratio in its progeny."
So im kinda excided to chuck some pollen, They both have pollen dropping so Im pretty sure that means they are viable, since ive had sterile male before that just didnt drop any pollen. I plan on hitting Kens GDP, maybe the best BB female, and what ever else is around.
Does anyone have experience with hermi males?
If a male drops pollen does that mean its viable?

purpleberry

purpleberry

Thanks for the info, very helpful. They are both putting out hairs now, I guess they may not be full hermi, they are just putting out hairs on the main top. Im not going to save either one, since theres no resin production, So I guess nothing really special. I think ill just hit the gdp, do a test grow of 15 seeds or so, and if I like what i see Ill pop 100 and try and find the best male and female.

homebrew420

homebrew420

Popped some seeds of Arcata Wreck from Billy Goat and got 2 males that exibited this trait. Very resinous, and both produced a single seed. Wonder what that will do? Still have them vegging, For over 5 months in a 1 gal nursery pot! still healthy.

Peace

johnursery

johnursery

i would not breed with the hermi flowers, this is a trait most growers are pissed to find in there females, most of the time there viable and will seed your crop and when you dont want this its a pest...just my 2 cents

W

what what

Unfortunately many hermie males originate from the DJ Short lines. Using a hermie male for breeding is imo definitely not recommended.

purpleberry

purpleberry

OK, so i made 400 seeds on one GDP plant and popped about 20 and got hi number of females, 14. I threw them in a budy grow and let them go single cola to see what i could get. 5 1/2 weeks in I have some fire looking buds with more stretch than the gdp and they started to turn purple, and a few are frosty as hell. Im so stoked wishing i took clones from a few, but have the 400 seeds so what ever. Im pruning some lower leaves off tonight getting ready to water and what do i see a pollen sack on a leaf, So i check them and every single one of them has hermied on me, with old pollen sacks hiding on them all. Im so bent Im going to ditch all 400 seeds and I think im ditching all my trueBB seeds also.
I had to spend a hours moving all the plants out to a tent else where. Hope to god the room isnt full of seeds, I see no sign of it, Only a few preme seeds on the purpleBBs.

Blaze

Blaze

Do you want to breed for the hermi trait? Probably not - so do not breed with hermi males. They WILL pass that undesirable trait on. Hermies have absolutely no place in a competent breeding program in my opinion.

I have grown many of DJ's strains, but the statement that this sort of breeding "guarantees against unwanted hermaphroditism" is a bunch of bullshit. DJ Short's strains are some of the more hermi-prone genetics I have seen. If you breed in this manner you will produce hermaphrodite-prone offspring- just like DJ Short does.

Oh and just my two cents but I have actually done a good amount of breeding with the True Blueberry, and it makes a terrible genetic donor in my experience. It has been axed from the breeding program at this point due to the large number of undesirable genetic traits that it has and that is passes on to subsequent generations.

purpleberry

purpleberry

Yes blaze, it took me a while to figure this out and i have wasted all my time breeding with the true BB for the last few years, I only do it when i have time to throw some males in a closet.
Im moving on to something else to play with.

Blaze

Blaze

Always disappointing when that happens, but that is part of breeding - not every corss will be killer. I had high hopes for some of my TB crosses as well but none of them came out as good as the parent plants. Had much better luck breeding with the DJ Short Grape Krush and Original Blueberry. His genetics do make good breeders for the most part at least in my experience.

Top Bottom