True Crypt

• Thread starter Kalcu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kalcu

Well I downloaded and have installed this encryption software. It is a good thing to have, a place to put game plans (GPS locations, dates of ordering items and from where and what, seeds and other things that LEO shouldn't read; even though if they tried they could find the manifests of grow lights and those things).

Anyhow, I installed a hidden volume inside of the containing volume. They have different passwords and you can see a file for the container volume but you can't open it without the program and the password.

After playing around I found out I just have to type in the hidden password instead of the container password (wanna know what they are? TO DAMN BAD! HA HA).

Well the problem is that when I opened it it worked but I can't open the hidden archive after putting in the password.........it tries to say it's not formatted.

Well, I don't want to format it (I can move my files that are in the container to my desktop just to be sure they don't get formatted). So I want to here from anyone with experience with this software. I don't have a non free email and their forums don't let you sign up without a school, business or ISP provided email.

If all else fails I guess I can find out how to set up my ISP email, I think I am permitted to have one with my account.

Anyhow, I also received my new back pack today......totally kicks ass!

I am going to order a 81mm ammo can (81mm mortars) that should just squeeze right in there (for nice unpressed buds!). This thing is nice since I have to walk to fields or a bike to another grow spot. Plus the can is water proof and should keep the smells contained while riding through the city. I think a QP or close to a half pound can be brought home in this can with minimal security issues.

Have a nice day!:rasta:

K

Kalcu

That disk M is unformated.

Disk M is just the name of the disk that the program calls my F drive. Disk M has no format problems with the container volume, which is fine for now. I don't think the cops will get a password out of me anyhow to get into it.

The hidden volume is really meant for blackmail, so you can make them think they got into all your info (unless they actually read about the program).......so anyhow, I'm just curious since I set it up.

K

kill-9

HMMMMMMMMMMMM...... well I've been searching for available fixes and the only thing I can tell you is that it's a possible fragmentation problem.

I would copy the drive to another place and run a fragmentation and chkdsk on windows. But the suggestion I found said that it might further corrupt this, hence my suggestion to copy it before you run it.

start > run > cmd

chkdsk

After it is done run 'chkdsk /f' and it will say it will do it on the next reboot, say yes.

I registered on the truecrypt forums, I have a non-free mail account so no problems there.

If you want to wait till they approve my account, Ill search on their forums for an exact fix to your problem. I know I suggested to chkdsk your filesystem but if you don't feel comfortable running that....just wait.

What operating system do you have? The problem could be because FAT32 doesn't seem to play nice with TrueCrypt. But FAT32 is really old....WindowsXP/2000 and up uses NTFS.

I have to tell you though, that moving data that already existed to a truecrypt volume is still retrievable. Even in broken pieces.

It seems you carry alot of paranoia, maybe justifiably so, but if you want your information truly encrypted, you would start off with a hard drive that is preferably brand new, or has been sent to /dev/null or used a program like DBAN that writes zeros all over the hard drive, then create a truecrypt drive on that, THEN move your data onto the truecrypt volume.

The Oinkers have wised up on retrieving data. Depending on where you live, some oinkers have programs that retrieve the data by pointing and clicking. Depending on how you set up your TrueCrypt system, they can still retrieve old data. But the script kiddy point and click programs are not all that good, if they can't retrieve it, they usually send your hard drive to another capable oinker unit.

Depends on how zealous the prosecutor is, might even send it to the FBI labs. Just depends on who you are and how bad they wanna fuck you.

But IMO, for TrueCrypt to truly work, you need a brand new hard drive or DBAN it.

K

Kalcu

Well it's strange since I encrypted the container volume the same way as the hidden. And ya I used FAT, not NTFS.........and surely I knew they could crack it, at least the FBI. But I'm nobody major it is just, well a speed bump at least.

I would think that the USB port would work not much differently than the hard drive and I prefer to be able to at least hide the info if I can. I have the files and they are okay on the container folder, but having them in a hidden volume isn't a bad idea (given that they are safe and not damaged).

I ran a free trial encryption program and lost loads of info, with no explanation. Some were just fine and others just went poof!

I do know that files are visible after usage, I must clear my recent documents but they would still need the password to get through. The best way to do that is get a warrant to put electronic data on my computer........a key logger.

Could you explain how else other than cracking the program would they get into files?

It would be nice, an encryption program that can sense cracking attempts (perhaps other than false password attempts, or even those but you can say hit one key to stop the emergency fry file program)............ya so anyway a program that could just fry your software, multiple quick erases.

I have been using a really nice eraser program, they have at one time alleged DOD erase and even a 35 pass Gutman erase..........shit that cops probably don't even have on theirs.

Something tells me that if the local PD wasn't protected by the FBI, they would be easy to peek in at electronically. If I could just intercept one of their Units logging in, free password!

Airwaves are never safe, no being plugged in.......I'm not much of a computer buff, but what I do learn, I really don't stop. My "old man" kinda tried to get me to learn programming, but man basic is boring...........just thumbed through the book.

K

Kalcu

Sometimes it seems like you need NSA training to survive in todays world

(Not So Agitated).

K

kill-9

Could you explain how else other than cracking the program would they get into files?

They can't crack the program. Of course it depends on the security of your password. They have networks of supercomputers running every possible password and other functions like rainbow tables and other types of attacks. This is all brute-force cracking.

This is your hard drive

[.......................data.....................]

When you start using your hard drive it starts looking like this:

[......mp3.video...data....................]

When you create a true crypt volume. It creates a new volume and encrypts the data into a NEW block. Or overwrites an older block. Depends on how much information already exists on your hard drive.

[.....mp3.video...data.........truecrypt]

Mp3. Video is moved to the truecrypt part of the hard drive, while reminiscents still exist on the left side of the hard drive.

Meaning, the data you encrypted, still exists in an "older" state of the hard drive.

Your best bet is to copy the data to a DVD or CD-R, do a guttman wipe on the data that exists on your computer, then copy it back directly to the TrueCrypt Volume.

It would be nice, an encryption program that can sense cracking attempts (perhaps other than false password attempts, or even those but you can say hit one key to stop the emergency fry file program)............ya so anyway a program that could just fry your software, multiple quick erases.

That's if they target the software itself. The NSA just simply copies the encrypted data and run tables against them. Bypassing any software that created the encryption in the first place.

I have been using a really nice eraser program, they have at one time alleged DOD erase and even a 35 pass Gutman erase..........shit that cops probably don't even have on theirs.

It's a good program.

Something tells me that if the local PD wasn't protected by the FBI, they would be easy to peek in at electronically. If I could just intercept one of their Units logging in, free password!

It's certainly an easier possibility. It's way too much work to crack encryption. So they get hardware key loggers and wait till you enter the password.

They can also pull the keystrokes out of thin air. They listen to how your keyboard strokes are being punched, and can guesstimate what the password is.

http://www.itworld.com/security/64193/researchers-find-ways-sniff-keystrokes-thin-air

For people still using CRT screens, you can pull someone else's screen onto your own, using certain technology of course. While it may not be very effective finding a password, since they are starred *********. But it can determine the length of your password.

Even if they dont find the password through the CRT screen method, they can still read what you have typed as your notes.

Airwaves are never safe, no being plugged in.......I'm not much of a computer buff, but what I do learn, I really don't stop. My "old man" kinda tried to get me to learn programming, but man basic is boring...........just thumbed through the book.

Basic is boring. Try Python. One of the most clear to understand languages and Google uses it for their search technology. The only complaint I have about it, is it's somewhat high CPU-usage. But chips are so fast and cheap nowadays. Not really a concern.

Most modern programming languages are the wet dream of people 10 years ago. So you really cant go wrong with any of them. Just find one that you understand best.

K

Kalcu

Never heard of python.

The truecrypt is on a USB drive, so I can remove it and stash it. I am really never doing much, but still anything they find is a burn.

Ya I heard about the KGB loading the mortar of an earlier US Embassy in Moscow with bugs that could listen to the electronic noise that keys make.

Thanks, you are very informative.

Latest posts

Top Bottom