Trying to educate myself more

• Thread starter Holden9cox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Holden9cox

Holden9cox

I’m looking for any basic 101 books on all aspects of plants. I feel like I have found my passion in plant growing and would like to further educate myself on all aspects of it. That being said I have no clue where to start. Watched a documentary and the leading mushroom expert is all self taught so it has inspired me to do the same

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

You talking about Paul Stammets?

I would think starting at a library would be the right move. Horticulture in general is a huge topic. You might want to pick your path.

If you want info specific to cannabis, there are tons of good books out there. Cervantes, Clark, and more, I'll look at my bookshelf when I get home.

S

Sod

Check out the "Cannabis Grow Bible" is a good book to have. Take what you will out of it. I have some questions on some things in it, but I'm a lazy grower and treat the plants as weeds. I eyeball almost everything, but it works for me. I only grow in soil, inside and out. There is a special article on teas in the book that I disagree with, but like I said, I'm lazy. My method works for me, but you will find your own path. You can grow some nice buds without a degree in agriculture. Keep it simple.
However, if you want to develop/breed a strain to produce a 40 inch cola, then that takes some science. Have fun, that's the point.
Another good book; "Teaming with Microbes".

SOD

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Check out the "Cannabis Grow Bible" is a good book to have. Take what you will out of it. I have some questions on some things in it, but I'm a lazy grower and treat the plants as weeds. I eyeball almost everything, but it works for me. I only grow in soil, inside and out. There is a special article on teas in the book that I disagree with, but like I said, I'm lazy. My method works for me, but you will find your own path. You can grow some nice buds without a degree in agriculture. Keep it simple.
However, if you want to develop/breed a strain to produce a 40 inch cola, then that takes some science. Have fun, that's the point.
Another good book; "Teaming with Microbes".

SOD
Great guides but I would start here.....

Then research what Sod listed. Learn basic plant biology so you understand why and how plants react to sun/soil/water. There are many ways to cross breed plants. Most do it by using pollen from one cultivar and pollinating it with another. Doing it this way takes a lot of time as you have to grow them to flower and collect the seeds then grow those seeds to flower and then test to see if the outcome was what you wanted. You're talking months into years before you get a good cross breed.

Find a botanist and do it at a molecular level. With all the new genetic processes they have nowadays like CRISPR, you can cross breed in weeks not months or years. This is because the genetic structure of weed has already been mapped so to alter it is quick.

Jorge Cervantes wrote a great book on Marijuana Growing. Every serious grower should have his and Ed Rosenthals books. Jack Herer wrote a good book but it's not so centered on weed cultivation as it is on weed activism.

Top Bottom