Trying To Explain Basic Mixing To My Coworker.. Please Advise

• Thread starter Sien
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sien

I have a basic question that I am sure someone can either prove me correct or explain to me what I am not understanding.

Basically a coworker mixed some food that was calculated for 10 gallons of water. She only used 8 gallons of the mixed food and set the other 2 gallons aside to be used later because the other babies were only a day off from having new fresh food mixed to start the next week of veg which would use a 6 gallon calculation. Personally I would have rather mix a whole new set of food based off of 6 gallons. But anyways.. so she wants to use the leftover food ( 2 gallons left from a 1o gallon mixture)... she pumps the leftover 2 gallons in to the resevoir, and instead of mixing a new set of food calculated for 4 gallons ( 4+2=6), she just pumped in 4 gallons of fresh filtered water to lower the ppm...

My feeling is that she just completely watered down food. Totally diluted the 2 gallon of newts with 4 gallons of water. I think she needs to mix fresh food calculated for 6 gallons. .I dont think the plants are going to get the proper amount of food... mostly they are going to get water..which I saw one time Stress and Shock the plant to go from Nutrients to almost straight water ( minimal nutrients)

Can anyone explain to me if i am missing something.. She has more experience then I do and trying to explain that I saw a problem and its not helping since Im not as experienced..

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

All you need to do is keep it at your target Parts Per Million.
Are you using a PPM meter to check your feedings?
If your PPM is low, add nutrients. If high, add water.
That is the basic of it.

S

Sien

yeah always using ppm meter.... just seems like a little amount of food for 12 plants. This is a aeroponic , so im not worried about nutes getting stuck in fiberglass

latewood

latewood

Controlling your PPM is exactly right. You should only mix nutrients as you need them. After a week to 2 weeks. They diminish in quality.

d0rk2dafullest

d0rk2dafullest

so if your target ppm is 600 and the full str feed is at 900 and u dumped 4 gallons of RO into 2 gallons feed, i wanna say it'd b around 300-500. if it's at 500, that's fine. but just make sure u reach ur ppm as someone has said, if it's too high in ppm, water it down more. if it's too little. add in for like 1-2 gallons of mix. you'll b good. it's fine. just make sure u mix very well. She's not wrong. she just needs to make sure the ppm is all good. you also wanna start pretty low on nutes. and build ur way up on ppm when feeding new babies as well. just my experience. dont throw full blast at ur babies, that'll cause shock as well. try some b vitamins and sea kelp to help with shock if you experience it. Also remember to PH your solution. PH is important.

Top Bottom